The March 2024 Challenge Thread: There Is No Dark Side Of The Moon

March 2 - "I've been mad for fucking years, absolutely years."

Remember when you were young, you shone like the sun.
Shine on you crazy diamond.
Now there's a look in your eyes, like black holes in the sky.
Shine on you crazy diamond

If you get a chance to watch "The Story of Wish You Were Here" definitely search it out. The segment where Syd visits the band during the recording sessions is heartbreaking.

Pink Floyd ~ Wish You Were Here

IMG_6225.jpeg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6iQVeSMgCSs

March 4 - And smiles you'll give and tears you'll cry.

This prompt couldn't have come on a better day - my son's birthday.

He was cooking dinner last night (a Sunday tradition he started for my wife and I, our daughter, her husband and their two girls about a year ago) and always has music cranking while he works. U2 popped up on the playlist. I told him I had two good U2 stories I could tell him.

The first one was personal - I saw the first US show of the War tour in Chapel Hill in 1983 amid a driving rainstorm and that crazy-ass Bono still climbed a 40ft lighting rig during the show. Photo evidence below...

IMG_4539.jpeg

The second story involved us both. I told him I had tickets to see U2 the night before he was born and even though it was weeks before his due date, I had a weird feeling I needed to be at home. I sold my ticket.

Just after midnight, my wife's water broke. Almost immediately she started to bleed profusely. Emergency services were now involved. I'll condense the drama and say things were very bad and 6 hours later things were very OK.

Our son turned 32 today. He's a beautiful, giving person and I couldn't be prouder of him. Smiles. Tears.

The song that spurred our conversation...

U2 - The Joshua Tree

IMG_4538.jpeg

Last edited:
Back