The Latest News from Neptune - a Sun Ra thread

Anyone get the Salah Ragab album yet ? Thoughts . . .

I love it. I think they did a great job of it.

It was one of my top tier wants for a Sun Ra repress since I started on the vinyl train a couple of years ago, though, so it would have taken a pretty major snafu for me to have been disappointed.

Reactions: .Z.
Thanks, I'll try and grab it from my local soon, before they all go .
I love it. I think they did a great job of it.

It was one of my top tier wants for a Sun Ra repress since I started on the vinyl train a couple of years ago, though, so it would have taken a pretty major snafu for me to have been disappointed.

Busy week for Sun Ra announcements!

First up is a very exciting 60th anniversary reissue of The Futuristic Sounds of Sun Ra from Craft Recordings featuring all-analogue remastering by Kevin Gray (Boom Boom!) - I've long wondered why this hasn't seen a proper reissue in so long - and really hoped we'd see something like this when I learned Craft had the rights to the Savoy catalogue. Big thanks to @MikeH for the heads up on this one -- made a really for a righteously shining moment on an otherwise rather shitty day at work!

Info and preorder from Craft:

They're also doing a bundle with the forthcoming ART ON SATURN book:

Next up, we come back to the present and have a new album from The Sun Ra Arkestra directed by Marshall Allen to look forward to - featuring a 19-piece Arkestra with string section!! Thanks to @mitchwagz for posting about this earlier today. This album was recorded last year when Allen was a spritely 97 years young. And 98 he is still a force to be reckoned with, and we are lucky to have him still guiding us through the Omniverse!

These are definitely exciting times to be a Sun Ra fan!

Busy week for Sun Ra announcements!

First up is a very exciting 60th anniversary reissue of The Futuristic Sounds of Sun Ra from Craft Recordings featuring all-analogue remastering by Kevin Gray (Boom Boom!) - I've long wondered why this hasn't seen a proper reissue in so long - and really hoped we'd see something like this when I learned Craft had the rights to the Savoy catalogue. Big thanks to @MikeH for the heads up on this one -- made a really for a righteously shining moment on an otherwise rather shitty day at work!

Info and preorder from Craft:

They're also doing a bundle with the forthcoming ART ON SATURN book:

Next up, we come back to the present and have a new album from The Sun Ra Arkestra directed by Marshall Allen to look forward to - featuring a 19-piece Arkestra with string section!! Thanks to @mitchwagz for posting about this earlier today. This album was recorded last year when Allen was a spritely 97 years young. And 98 he is still a force to be reckoned with, and we are lucky to have him still guiding us through the Omniverse!

These are definitely exciting times to be a Sun Ra fan!

Very cool they are bundling the book with the record! Very tempting if I wasn’t already gonna get it from PBC!

This ought to be quite enjoyable for anybody who frequents this thread. I stumbled upon it thanks to some Stupify algorithms. I don't know much about Meditations on Crime, but I do enjoy King Khan and was excited to learn Marshall and the Arkestra were also involved. After listening a few more times I found this article which lays things out a little more...

This is pretty great. I definitely just spent too much to get myself a copy...

Hasn't popped up on Bandcamp yet, though I'd imagine it will in time for tomorrow, but an expanded and remastered version of Universe in Blue showed up on Stupify this morning...

4130251-2887214.jpg

I shared this on the Jazz thread but it makes sense to put it here too...

Worth noting that the Carolina Soul stuff does NOT go cheap. It used to be affordable, but nowadays it's the high end everytime.

IMG_7525.jpg
IMG_7524.jpg

It's been a great year to be a Sun Ra fan!

This one looks pretty cool...

a0254542818_10.jpg

Featuring what may be his only recordings on the Prophet keyboard, these once lost performances expand the omniverse of Ra across a stellar set of lengthy cuts! All recorded in a single day and finally making their terrestrial debut!

What happens when a Prophet meets a Prophet? The answer lies within these grooves.

Amongst the hundreds of recordings issued by Sun Ra and his Arkestra, under their various guises, the majority were recorded in concert or in makeshift studios such as their early 1960s set-up at NYC's Choreographer's Workshop. Beyond those, roughly 22 albums were recorded at Variety Recording Studio in New York's Times Square. However, on August 25, 1986, Sun Ra and cohorts entered Mission Control, a state-of-the-art 24-track studio north of Boston, which was teeming with electronic keyboards and otherworldly sound generators. Nestled within that arsenal was a brand-new digital ultra keyboard — the Prophet VS ("Vector Synthesizer").

Of all the keyboards Ra played throughout his half-century career, the Prophet was one of the most sophisticated. There's no evidence that he had played either of the instrument's earlier incarnations, the Sequential Circuits Prophet-5 and Prophet-10. Created using microprocessors, a then-new technological advance, under the auspices of engineer Dave Smith in 1978, the Prophet-5 revolutionized electronic music as the first polyphonic and, most importantly, programmable synthesizer.

Ra was intrigued by the Prophet (surely by the instrument as well as by the name). Recorded during a single day, it's about time that these once lost performances have now been found.

It was a joy and a thrill to be sitting at the console hearing this music for the first time, especially with my fingers on the faders and knobs of the mixing desk. We watched the oxide fly off the 2" tapes during playback, making this our one chance to digitize before they metamorphosed into dust. Welcome to the new Sun Ra album….35+ years after it was recorded. The Omniverse has expanded once again.
— Brother Cleve (1955 - 2022)

Back