The How Do I Get Into _____ Thread

Yeah, I think this is what I'm after, sounds to me like I need to unearth some more context surrounding it all. Which is why I thought interviews might work, maybe even some old reviews. Time for a YouTube deep dive I think.
There’s a Youtube channel called Deep Cuts that has some really good discography guides that explain the context around the albums as well. There’s a 2 part guide to David Bowie. Here’s the first part.

There’s a Youtube channel called Deep Cuts that has some really good discography guides that explain the context around the albums as well. There’s a 2 part guide to David Bowie. Here’s the first part.

Ah sweet, I quite like Deep Cuts, didn't know about this though. Thanks.

Scary Monsters was my first, back when it was first released. A great mix of easily accessible singles and some weird stuff that really resonates after multiple listens.
I was trying to decide what was both his most accessible and enjoyable album, and I do believe it’s Scary Monsters.

I am cool with not being a massive Bowie fan, I'm just kind of at a stage of music exploration where he's one of the last 'huge' artists left where I don't understand exactly why people are huge fans; to me that represents some missing knowledge or experience that I'm trying to find.

This process has lead me to pretty awesome breakthroughs with other artists and new all time favorites and stuff before, so I find it's worth the time pursuing like this. Especially as 'on paper' I can't pin down exactly why I'm not a huge Bowie fan, based on what I know it kind of feels like I should be.

Thanks for the recommendations, I hadn't heard of either of those albums before.

Hunky Dory and Station to Station are two of my very favourite Bowie albums (along with Low they’d be my top 3 but you’ve said you’ve done Berlin). I agree with @Yer Ol' Uncle D on scary monsters, it has some epic singles on there and the one from his imperial phase I think that’s due more attention is Young Americans, that’s such a fun album!

Essential-

Definitely Maybe
The master plan (brilliant b sides collection)
Morning glory
Time flies (complete singles collection)

Very Good

Heathen chemistry
Don’t believe the truth

Good

Dig out your soul

Poor (but still have some good songs)

Be here now
Standing on the shoulder of giants

Essential-

Definitely Maybe
Morning glory

Very Good

Heathen chemistry
Don’t believe the truth

Good

Dig out your soul

Be here now
I almost agree. Morning Glory would be my starting point and I think I'd switch where you have Dig Our Your Soul and Standing on the Shoulder of Giants.

I almost agree. Morning Glory would be my starting point and I think I'd switch where you have Dig Our Your Soul and Standing on the Shoulder of Giants.

You’d pick Morning Glory above Definktely Maybe? Really?

And Standing on the Shoulder of Giants is an abomination. The only thing worth salvaging from that is the instrumental opening track which made a great convent opener...

You’d pick Morning Glory above Definktely Maybe? Really?

And Standing on the Shoulder of Giants is an abomination. The only thing worth salvaging from that is the instrumental opening track which made a great convent opener...
I would. Definitely Maybe is a bunch of bangers while Morning Glory shows off all aspects of their songwriting.

Essential-

Definitely Maybe
Morning glory

Very Good

Heathen chemistry
Don’t believe the truth

Good

Dig out your soul

Be here now

Agree but I’d probably switch Dig Out Your Soul and Be Here Now.

Definitely Maybe is their best album though and it’s not even closes, it’s miles ahead of anything else they did.

I would. Definitely Maybe is a bunch of bangers while Morning Glory shows off all aspects of their songwriting.

Really?

Morning Glory has strong singles and a few other tracks but it is nowhere near as consistent quality wise as Definitely Maybe!

And it’s best song got left off it because of a legal dispute with Stevie Wonder!

Really?

Morning Glory has strong singles and a few other tracks but it is nowhere near as consistent quality wise as Definitely Maybe!

And it’s best song got left off it because of a legal dispute with Stevie Wonder!
I grew up listening to Morning Glory a lot more and Don't Look Back In Anger might be one of my favorite tracks of all time. So I lean more that way.

Really?

Which track had the legal dispute?

Which track had the legal dispute?

Step Out

It’d ended up as a b side to Don’t Look Back In Anger. The chorus is a pretty blatant rip off of Uptight and the demand wasn’t 50% (or even 100%) of the songs royalties but 10% of the entire albums royalties so it got canned and wasn’t on The Masterplan either for the same reason.

Definitely Maybe is one of my all time top 5 albums for transparency but as a teenager I think I listened to both of them more times than is healthy!

How do I get into Talking Heads?
IMO, start with the amazing live album, The Name Of This Band Is Talking Heads. Each side of the record captures the band live after each of their first 4 albums. The 2 disc CD version contains even more material, each disc is over 70 minutes. IMO, the live versions of these songs are superior to their studio counterparts. Of course, this gets you songs up to Remain In Light, then pick up with Speaking In Tongues.

Back