The Good Ol' Grateful Thread

Last Dead & Company show.

Left my house around 1:30 and arrived in a line of traffic waiting to get into the venue about 2 miles away at about 3:30. By 5:30, we were still 1.5 miles away and there was no way we were gonna be able to park at the venue in time for the 1st set, maybe even the full show at that rate. I bailed on the car to walk to the venue and see what the situation was to report back to my dad who was driving. Oh what a cluster it was, and I couldn't get cell signal to text him back. Eventually my dad ditched the car in an abandoned lot and walked as well. We made it in 15 minutes before the show started, and we were LUCKY. Didn't even make it to Shakedown, which is an absolute bummer.

Show was great. Probably the best they've sounded at a show I've been in attendance for. It really hit me during China Doll (of all songs) that it was my last show and I started crying. Crazy how special this band has become in the 8 years that I've been following. Tons of firsts for me from Dead & Co - Alabama Getaway, Bertha, Big Boss Man, China Rider, China Doll, Don't Ease Me In, Jack Straw, Peggy-O, The Weight, Truckin'.

Leaving the venue, I think there were just as many cars lining the streets outside the venue, in random parking lots, and in the median on the highway (!!!) than were in the actual parking lot. Ok, that's an exaggeration, but there was a huge wave of people that walked along with us back to the area we parked, again 1.5 miles away. Looking at the Instagram comments, sounded like a lot of people didn't even make it in at all and I guess they closed the parking lot to new cars at some point. Can't help but remember the groups of people looking for miracles around the gate and wonder how many of their cars took up spots in the lot.

Cross posting from the recent shows thread.

after reading about all the problems people are having just getting to shows (and hearing from my buddy about it who just wrapped three in a row), I think i've made peace with Jazz Fest being the last time I see this version of the band. I was holding out hope to hit a Wrigley show this weekend, but the market hasn't cratered like it has in the past this close to show time, so I think that rainy day in New Orleans where I sat soaked and the sun finally came out right as they started He's Gone is gonna have to do it for me.

after reading about all the problems people are having just getting to shows (and hearing from my buddy about it who just wrapped three in a row), I think i've made peace with Jazz Fest being the last time I see this version of the band. I was holding out hope to hit a Wrigley show this weekend, but the market hasn't cratered like it has in the past this close to show time, so I think that rainy day in New Orleans where I sat soaked and the sun finally came out right as they started He's Gone is gonna have to do it for me.
I think it's the last tour and tons of people without tickets showing up to try to get miracles or just for the lot scene. Kind of surprised there hasn't been a crackdown on making sure you have at least one ticket in the car prior to letting people in. And a lot of these suburban concert venues are a nightmare even on the best of days for popular shows.

Well I didn't get tickets for the tour because I'm so nervous that I'll be in to much pain and not be able to go. So I didn't try this year. But my wife bought me tickets to see Cosmic Charlie's Dark Side of the Dead tour on the 50th anniversary of DSotM. They're supposed to play a Dead set, then the full DSotM album, then close with another Dead set. So I'm excited for that at least. I've linked one of their shows below.

Is anyone going to the Dead meet up at the movies next week? They're doing the Soldier Field 6/22/91 show. So I think I'll go to that too.

Both should be a lot of fun!

I know there's dozens of Grateful Dead cover and tribute bands out there, but if y'all haven't listened to Jazz Is Dead, I highly recommend them. Instrumental funky GD covers. Some very talented musicians rotated through the band over the years, Alphonso Johnson, Jimmy Herring, Steve Kimock, etc. No vinyl pressings, but the CDs sound excellent.

Screenshot_2023-06-16-07-49-54.png

So, don't kill me guys. But I was at the annual CD/Record/Poster sale up here poring through the vinyl after a dealer pretty much wiped them out of the good stuff on wax and among a bunch of a records, I grabbed some of their CDs. I saw a couple of what I read as Dick's Picks CD sets and thought "OK I get this, this is a good deal at $2 per individual disc so why not".

Then I get home and realize they're Dave's Picks on HDCD and...uh...pricy af. I was admittedly not really into music in the HDCD heyday so are these safe to play on a standard CD player? Why the heck are these so expensive? I'm woefully ignorant on this so could use some guidance.

So, don't kill me guys. But I was at the annual CD/Record/Poster sale up here poring through the vinyl after a dealer pretty much wiped them out of the good stuff on wax and among a bunch of a records, I grabbed some of their CDs. I saw a couple of what I read as Dick's Picks CD sets and thought "OK I get this, this is a good deal at $2 per individual disc so why not".

Then I get home and realize they're Dave's Picks on HDCD and...uh...pricy af. I was admittedly not really into music in the HDCD heyday so are these safe to play on a standard CD player? Why the heck are these so expensive? I'm woefully ignorant on this so could use some guidance.
Yes, fine to play on CD. I think part of it is that they were limited in pressings (more so than others) and Dead fans can be fanatic about collecting live releases. Granted, it’s my preferred way to listen to the Dead too, but most of the shows have very quality releases on Archive or the rips can be found.

If you want a real shock, go look up some of the prices of the first Dave’s Picks CDs. Vol. 1 goes for like 3x what you buy the vinyl new for. It’s wild.

Yes, fine to play on CD. I think part of it is that they were limited in pressings (more so than others) and Dead fans can be fanatic about collecting live releases. Granted, it’s my preferred way to listen to the Dead too, but most of the shows have very quality releases on Archive or the rips can be found.

If you want a real shock, go look up some of the prices of the first Dave’s Picks CDs. Vol. 1 goes for like 3x what you buy the vinyl new for. It’s wild.

That makes a lot of sense, thank you.

These were the two that were there, so yeah...shocked

Sweet grab!! Yeah, they’re ridiculously hard to find but great nonetheless. A steal at that price!

That Vol 5 show, 11/17/73 may be my favorite show of all time.

Thats amazing. What a grab!!

Hey fellow Deadheads, thought I’d post this here in case - I’ve got 2 extra tix for the Dead & Co. Sun show at Folsom Field in Boulder, CO this weekend (July 2nd). We were hoping to make a family trip of it, but my wife couldn’t get work off. So, if anyone is thinking about going or looking for tickets, DM me - I don’t want to make a dime on these, just looking for the cost of the tickets. Plus, I’ll be there with a buddy, and we can meet up in the Lot!

Back