The Good Ol' Grateful Thread

Finally getting around to listening to the new Europe '72 remaster. CB cut it, which I didn't realize until opening, and I like it better than the 2011 version he cut. Maybe it's the plangent process that adds a bit, but it sounds clearer and seems to breathe more. Was never really impressed with the 2011, even though CB also cut that. Colors are really cool too!
I’ve talked to a few people that echoed the same thoughts on the new reissue. I need to open mine and compare.

I’ve talked to a few people that echoed the same thoughts on the new reissue. I need to open mine and compare.
This might sound weird but it almost sounds more live? I know this was heavily overdubbed in the studio, but it sounds a lot more live to me. Great pressing as well, even came in poly sleeves.

Finally getting around to listening to the new Europe '72 remaster. CB cut it, which I didn't realize until opening, and I like it better than the 2011 version he cut. Maybe it's the plangent process that adds a bit, but it sounds clearer and seems to breathe more. Was never really impressed with the 2011, even though CB also cut that. Colors are really cool too!
Can you explain to me what the Plangent Process is? First time hearing of this.

It's a digital process to eliminate wow/flutter and correct pitch issues. Basically you take the original recording (tapes, reels, etc.) and run it through. Is a noticeable help on live recordings.
Here's a cool interview with the guy who created it.

Here's a cool interview with the guy who created it.

He's also on the Hoffman forums some IIRC

It's a digital process to eliminate wow/flutter and correct pitch issues. Basically you take the original recording (tapes, reels, etc.) and run it through. Is a noticeable help on live recordings.
I have the MOFI Skull and Roses and the orange Plangent 50th. I feel the plangent is on par and may even beat the mofi.

What are the chances the Europe 72 at Plaidroom are the new remaster vs the 2011 version? Same UPC or different?

Have you done the shootout?

It was a joke. But that said, I have not done the comparison on S&R, but I have on Workingman’s Dead and American Beauty and there is no contest that the MoFi’s are significantly better. However, I appreciate the ability to have the Plangent digital versions and I don’t discount how great all the Chris Bellman cuts sounds, whether AAA or from the Plangent files. With how good most of the source material is I just consider myself lucky to have access to all this amazing sounding Dead.

What are the chances the Europe 72 at Plaidroom are the new remaster vs the 2011 version? Same UPC or different?
I know they've had the Europe 72 2011 repress from last year for a while. The UPC for the new remaster is 081227880330, though it may be slightly different for the black version. The UPC for 2011 is 081227975982.

Has anyone picked up and played the reissue of the Very Best that just came out? I saw that KPG did not master this version and that Joe Reagoso from Friday Music did. Does it sound as good as the KPG cut?

It was a joke. But that said, I have not done the comparison on S&R, but I have on Workingman’s Dead and American Beauty and there is no contest that the MoFi’s are significantly better. However, I appreciate the ability to have the Plangent digital versions and I don’t discount how great all the Chris Bellman cuts sounds, whether AAA or from the Plangent files. With how good most of the source material is I just consider myself lucky to have access to all this amazing sounding Dead.
I agree on WMD and AB. I had the Plangent reissues of those, and while they sounded good, the MOFI squashed them. I got the S&R MOFI after I got the orange S&R, and when I played them back to back, I was surprised how much I liked the Plangent. It had more bass, and maybe that's why. They sound a little different, but for some reason I just really liked the Plangent that day. I need to try spin both versions again!

Back