The Good Ol' Grateful Thread

As a noob, this a "must have"?
Eh, not sure. The Dave’s Picks series is great, and I’ve subscribed to the CD package every year for the last few years. Pretty cool that they’re doing vinyl for these, as some of this in CD version fetches nearly $400 these days. This is a great show and a great release, but not sure I’d categorize it as a must have for anyone. I will say they’re doing 5,000 which is less than a lot of their other releases, so I’m not sure this one will be found as easily as some of the others down the road.

All that said, I’m definitely buying it.

@bdm105 don't listen to @zdkaiser, his typing fingers say no, but his eyes say yes.
GO CRAZY MAN, ALLLL THE LIVE DEAD VINYL
Ha ha. Yeah, I have self-control. I have self-control. I have self-control.

@bdm105 , picture this... each year on RSD and BFRSD you will be buying at least two $125 Grateful Dead boxsets. Then there will be another 2 box sets released during other parts of the year, usually about $150 - $200 each. Then you'll start scratching your head like, "I think I'm gonna start collecting Garcia boxsets, why not?" Next thing you know, you're eyeing up two additional Garcia 5LP boxsets per year. So, now you're rolling in about 6 Grateful Dead/Garcia boxsets per year.

Ha ha. Yeah, I have self-control. I have self-control. I have self-control.

@bdm105 , picture this... each year on RSD and BFRSD you will be buying at least two $125 Grateful Dead boxsets. Then there will be another 2 box sets released during other parts of the year, usually about $150 - $200 each. Then you'll start scratching your head like, "I think I'm gonna start collecting Garcia boxsets, why not?" Next thing you know, you're eyeing up two additional Garcia 5LP boxsets per year. So, now you're rolling in about 6 Grateful Dead/Garcia boxsets per year.

yeah I've dabbled already. but since I'm new i'm trying to not have the normal new collector rush to get as much as I can.

I'm a relative n00b and agree with this. I only have a few live shows and like them on vinyl but it's way better to listen to them on streaming/CD
I've been listening to this band for pretty much my entire life (since I was 8 thanks to my SF cousins). While I gave up my tape trading days once the Internet came along, I am now CD or digital. I have a lot of the vinyl sets that they've done (I've had many early mornings in line during various RSDs) and those basically sit on the shelf while I play, for example, one of the 72 shows from Listen to The River. I can easily get off my ass to change Music Matters 45s but I find Live Dead isn't as enjoyable.

Edit to add: I can now apply the funds from every $125 set plus Chicago Tax to something like more records - or a Degritter.

No one is getting this on CD for less than $400 and it's not available digitally, so that's worth considering.

This is a great show from one of their best tours.
Exactly. I started collecting Dave’s Picks with DP24, when I started looking at the early ones I was stunned at the prices. I opt for the CD box sets and versions of most releases, but this one is hard to pass up.

Not to mention many Dead fans who don’t collect CDs but collect vinyl have been calling for this series for a long time. I’m thinking these won’t last past Thanksgiving and will be fairly 2x-3x the price down the road.

As a noob, this a "must have"?

I’m not even close to a Dead completist but I do have a fair # of “Live” Dead on both CD and Vinyl. I like both formats. CD more for background and vinyl when I’m more focused.

I was only half joking with someone the other day that Deadheads are currently keeping CDs alive.

But there is a ever growing # of Dead vinyl collectors. FWIW I rarely buy CD versions anymore. It is good to have options.

So, Maybe not a “must have” but given this is Vol 1 of Dave’s Picks series on vinyl this is a great time/place to jump in and test the waters. Looks like a really nice box to own.

Last edited:
Caught Dead & Co. last night, second time seeing this incarnation. Was pleasantly surprised at the energy they brought this time through. Really solid show. Bob's voice was definitely better than the last few times I've seen him, Mayer continues to impress with his soloing - lots of interplay between him and Chimenti. Highlights were Cumberland Blues which hit a great groove, and the end of Space which ended w/ a bit of Blues For Allah. Plus Cassidy, He's Gone, and Black Muddy River, which when reviewing setlists from past shows I realized were played at my first Dead show 30+ years ago (11/15/87)

Full setlist:

Set 1: The Music Never Stopped > Easy Answers, Row Jimmy, Friend of the Devil, Cumberland Blues, Cassidy, Mississippi Half-Step Uptown Toodeloo

Set 2: St. Stephen --> William Tell Bridge --> The Eleven --> He's Gone --> New Speedway Boogie, Drums --> Space --> I Need a Miracle --> Death Don't Have No Mercy --> Good Lovin'

Encore: Black Muddy River

1635445269386.png

Back