The Funhouse - The Punks are all right

DO IT!!! I’m at the tail end of the RS list.

NOFX - The Decline (1999)
Rancid - ...And Out Comes The Wolves (1995)
No Use For A Name - More Betterness! (1999)
Get Dead – Dancing With The Curse (2020)
Bad Religion - Stranger Than Fiction (1994)
Lagwagon - Double Plaidinum (1997)
Propagandhi - How To Clean Everything (1993)
Descendents – Everything Sucks (1996)

Bold = must listen*

*Edited for @avecigrec

This is undoubtably a different brand of "punk rock" from the list and will swing poppier. To me, it's also more digestible lyrically and of course, polished better with modern technology. If nothing else, it will give you a good glimpse into the bands that were inspired by the first punk rockers.

Let me know what works, what doesn't, and I can send as many recommendations as you'd like - similar stuff, or throw you in a new direction.

Last edited:
@Lee Newman - I apologize for not being in here since the start. I'd consider punk to possibly be my #1 favorite genre, next to reggae and funk.

That list has some of my favorites on it, but also has a lot of albums I won't ever really listen to. For me as a 37 year old, I grew up listening to what I'd consider Warped Tour Punk / 90's. Punk "non-apologists" will dismiss most music that didn't take place before 1989, and that's cool, but that's not my story.

I'd love to share a list of my favorite punk/pop punk/punkcallitwhateveryouneedtotosleepatnight with you whenever you're looking for more!
Also, I knew going in that I liked the Clash, Minutemen, Fugazi and Ramones. Between this and the generator project, I picked up X and New York Dolls. I also quite enjoyed Wire, The Jam, Richard Hell, The Buzzcocks and Gang of Four.

Also @scotthilk if you haven’t checked out Sprints - Letter to Self, I really dig it. It’s melodic and very post punkish.

On it! Also, to be clear, I do love all of those bands on the list.. but they are not going to be on my repeat listens list or anything. I appreciate them for their innovation, creativity and contributions/creation of a new genre. If any of these albums are too soft or you like thrashier/louder punk, I have plenty!

Bold = must listen

This is undoubtably a different brand of "punk rock" from the list and will swing poppier. To me, it's also more digestible lyrically and of course, polished better with modern technology. If nothing else, it will give you a good glimpse into the bands that were inspired by the first punk rockers.

Let me know what works, what doesn't, and I can send as many recommendations as you'd like - similar stuff, or throw you in a new direction.

Bad Religion NOT must listen?!

Bold = must listen

It's funny . I,'m about 10 years older so gravitate to some of the esrlier albums for some of the bands ( lagwagon - hoss ot trashed; no use - leche con carne, nofx - white trash to heebs and a bean, bad religion - suffer / no control/ against the grain)

It's funny . I,'m about 10 years older so gravitate to some of the esrlier albums for some of the bands ( lagwagon - hoss ot trashed; no use - leche con carne, nofx - white trash to heebs and a bean, bad religion - suffer / no control/ against the grain)
I can totally see that. I love all of those albums as well! They all would have made // will make? the longer list.

Hah! Ah, it begins. Nah, they are must listen. That whole list is (narrowed those down from a few hundred). I was just making sure to emphasize these if by chance they all didn't get spun!

They are and always have been my number one, so I take exception to their not being bolded. ;)

But I get what you're going for. And couldn't agree more with your Rancid pick!

Bad Religion never did it for me, I tried a few... maybe too late in my life... dunno. I recognize their output and importance, though.

Bad Religion never did it for me, I tried a few... maybe too late in my life... dunno. I recognize their output and importance, though.
all their stuff sounds kind of same-y to me. I really like stranger than fiction and 21st century digital boy and a few other songs from that mid to late 90s period, but after like 20 to 30 minutes of it, it's all kind of the same to me. american jesus is probably their standout.

Back