The football thread RenegadeMonster is looking for: NFL talk

The fact they almost won after turning the ball over 5 times is amazing but yeah that was an ugly one.
Very similar vibes to Week 2 last year against the Bears where Burrow was picked off on 3 consecutive passes but still almost won. Then they had that whole Super Bowl run lol.

It wasn't pretty or perfect, but the "slip and slide" and a Win will do in Bears country.....................along with Rodgers sacked 4 times for a Green Bay loss ;)

20220911_193454.jpg

😎😎😎

I haven't responded to your post in the past few hours as I was letting some steam out from earlier.

To your points:

1) NO ONE was prepared as a viable backup long snapper. Not a single starter played a preseason snap, and it showed.​
2) I have to believe that a -5 TO differential in one game is going to be an aberration. CIN was playing against arguably a top5 DL in the league, and the OL chemistry is not there yet. To be clear, I am not excusing the OL play...it was awful.​
3) Defense looked great, given the terrible field position they were often put in.​
4) Why did the Bengals punt the ball on the last possession in OT with ~15 sec left on the play clock??​
5) Too much reliance on Ja'Marr Chase, and one of his plays in the endzone could've been challenged.​
I hope Tee Higgins is OK.

Listening to the athletic NFL pod right now and they did 18 plays under center and ran on 16 of them, a tendency they were complaining about last year. They had the most total offensive snaps since 2002 and only scored 20 points.

The offense seems entirely too reliant on eff it #1 is out there somewhere even going back to last year. And I think that's fine and good to target Chase 15-20 times every week. But they have to mix up the looks when the ball isn't going to him.

Last edited:
I ditched cable over the winter, but now that it's NFL season I don't know my best option to watch games. (especially my local team) I have an antenna but it doesn't get FOX, which is what the Lions are usually broadcast on.
Hulu sounds like a good option, but apparently I'd have to cancel my free Hulu I get through Verizon internet and re-subscribe, I can't just upgrade.

So, what do the non-cable-having people here use?

I ditched cable over the winter, but now that it's NFL season I don't know my best option to watch games. (especially my local team) I have an antenna but it doesn't get FOX, which is what the Lions are usually broadcast on.
Hulu sounds like a good option, but apparently I'd have to cancel my free Hulu I get through Verizon internet and re-subscribe, I can't just upgrade.

My first recommendation for sports fans is to find some friends in your city that also want to lower their cable bill and get YoutubeTV. It's about 80 a month but you can have up to 6 users splitting that cost (if they live in the same city). It has every sports channel u can think of plus built in DVR, on demand streaming, 4k HD etc.

Are you all really gunna make me say it?

You are aren't you.

Fine.

If the Lions are your team I would suggest cancelling all cable services and throwing your TV into the nearest lake or estuary.
I can't help it. I really can't. I love NFL football and have lived here my whole life. To declare myself a (insert legitimate team here) fan would be too easy. I like to think I will have weathered the greatest storm of sports incompetence in history and will be rewarded. Just...not this year.

Listening to the athletic NFL pod right now and they did 18 plays under center and ran on 16 of them, a tendency they were complaining about last year. They had the most total offensive snaps since 2002 and only scored 20 points.

The offense seems entirely too reliant on eff it #1 is out there somewhere even going back to last year. And I think that's fine and good to target Chase 15-20 times every week. But they have to mix up the looks when the ball isn't going to him.
I imagine Tee Higgins having the concussion in first half hurt their plans and forced a bit more of Chase or bust mentality.

But the non-challenge and the early punt were a bit brutal

Sportsurge .net. Not of the legal variety but works and can get any game (not just NFL this works for all leagues) and even RedZone. There are some terrible pop up ads on linked sites but that's the nature of less than legal sites.

I can't help it. I really can't. I love NFL football and have lived here my whole life. To declare myself a (insert legitimate team here) fan would be too easy. I like to think I will have weathered the greatest storm of sports incompetence in history and will be rewarded. Just...not this year.
I mean I'm a Toronto Maple Leafs fan, and was a Packers fan until, well... you know. Trust me, I get it. I've been beaten down as much as anyone, it's why I'm legally allowed to make that joke.

But seriously, pick up TV, open window, deposit TV, sigh contentedly, go outside and proceed to run gleefully through a meadow never having to think about the stupid awful team ever again.

I do this a lot. I've run out of tvs... and meadows.

Last edited:
After a long hiatus (many years) of not having sky sports, and thus not able to watch NFL in the UK, I've now got access again. I watched most of the Dolphins v Patriots game yesterday, and saw maybe 1/2 of the Packers v Vikings game. Vikings looked good. Their WR (can't remember his name) was electric.

Any how, I need a team to support. Pitch to me! I don't want to glory support the Chiefs, so give me your best sell on who I should follow and pin my allegiances to...

I've only ever visited Memphis with work, so I assume the closest team to that would be the Titans, so I could start there, but I'm open to better offers.

I want to be excited, but ultimately know I'll always run the risk of catastrophic disappointment - just like my football (soccer) team.

Are you all really gunna make me say it?

You are aren't you.

Fine.

If the Lions are your team I would suggest cancelling all cable services and throwing your TV into the nearest lake or estuary.
I am a Bears fan first and foremost but after watching Hard Knocks I am rooting hard for Dan Campbell and The Lions to turn in a successful season. That guy always looks like he’s about ready to break down in tears at any moment when He is not doing Up-Downs with his team or sincerely quoting Metallica lyrics.

After a long hiatus (many years) of not having sky sports, and thus not able to watch NFL in the UK, I've now got access again. I watched most of the Dolphins v Patriots game yesterday, and saw maybe 1/2 of the Packers v Vikings game. Vikings looked good. Their WR (can't remember his name) was electric.

Any how, I need a team to support. Pitch to me! I don't want to glory support the Chiefs, so give me your best sell on who I should follow and pin my allegiances to...

I've only ever visited Memphis with work, so I assume the closest team to that would be the Titans, so I could start there, but I'm open to better offers.

I want to be excited, but ultimately know I'll always run the risk of catastrophic disappointment - just like my football (soccer) team.
I would recommend the Buffalo Bills. A small market with a nice history that has been close to winning it all on multiple occasions only to have their heart ripped out (four consecutive Super Bowl Losses in the early 90s). They’re fan base is working class fun (The Bills Mafia, wings, beer, drunkenly diving through tables, etc…). They have one of the best young QBs in the sport and will likely be really competitive for years to come. An Added bonus is the teams reps a bold Blue, Red, & White Color scheme and one of the best logos in all of pro sports.
C7C173FD-77C7-4626-83AB-B84FC62C4767.gif
Buy a hat now and that way no one can say you’re a bandwagoner when they finally win their first Super Bowl in February.

Justin Jefferson. Man is a freak of nature and spent all off-season watching his price go way up after all those WR deals.

And a fan of disappointment of catastrophic proportions? May I invite you to the Chicago Bears? We know nothing if it isn't undying hope for no reason only to be crushed year after year.

Justin Jefferson. Man is a freak of nature and spent all off-season watching his price go way up after all those WR deals.

And a fan of disappointment of catastrophic proportions? May I invite you to the Chicago Bears? We know nothing if it isn't undying hope for no reason only to be crushed year after year.
As a Bears fan I would not offer that yoke freely to anyone. No human should openly choose to suffer like this; it’s something you are born into like North Korea or being Catholic.

I would recommend the Buffalo Bills. A small market with a nice history that has been close to winning it all on multiple occasions only to have their heart ripped out (four consecutive Super Bowl Losses in the early 90s). They’re fan base is working class fun (The Bills Mafia, wings, beer, drunkenly diving through tables, etc…). They have one of the best young QBs in the sport and will likely be really competitive for years to come. An Added bonus is the teams reps a bold Blue, Red, & White Color scheme and one of the best logos in all of pro sports.
View attachment 151204
Buy a hat now and that way no one can say you’re a bandwagoner when they finally win their first Super Bowl in February.
This a strong opener! I'm sold on all of these attributes. In addition, it's actually somewhere possible to visit in future years rather than being some random fly-over state I'll never visit. The logo is solid.

Back