The Dark Side; Digital audio equipment recommendations and setup.

Hifiberry do a version of the DAC board that has XLR plugs. It only works with their steel case because the plastic one doesn’t support the plugs with XLR ones being heavier. With the steel case the WiFi chip on board doesn’t always work so you may need to look into similar options to the fancy expensive pi one above if Ethernet doesn’t work.

Yes, this is exactly what I was looking at. The case is out of stock and I’m signed up to be notified.

Just a PSA on the Denafrips Ares II firmware update......................well worth the time it took to update. Pretty straight forward, not very difficult, instruction were pretty spot on.

While I haven't had the DAC long, I have been pushing a lot through it to get a feel for it. It sounded great before, but the update makes a noticeable difference in soundstage, detail and the bottom end is tighter, fuller and more accurate, with just enough "umph" behind it.

They know their shit over there ;)

Just a PSA on the Denafrips Ares II firmware update......................well worth the time it took to update. Pretty straight forward, not very difficult, instruction were pretty spot on.

While I haven't had the DAC long, I have been pushing a lot through it to get a feel for it. It sounded great before, but the update makes a noticeable difference in soundstage, detail and the bottom end is tighter, fuller and more accurate, with just enough "umph" behind it.

They know their shit over there ;)
This might be the push I need to finally update it haha

I've been fine tuning the digital landscape at "Casa De AnthonyI", and recently bid farewell to Audacity for my vinyl backups and bit the bullet on Vinyl Studio Pro ($50).

For those who go through this process more than occasionally, and are using Audacity, do yourself a favor and invest the $50 on VS Pro. It cuts the overall process down by 75% and the quality is fantastic.

Anyway, just sharing the info :)

Roon already just got bought out by Harmon I believe
Yes. I believe this is correct. Maybe Harman will buy Qobuz.

I’m still not clear on why Harman bought Roon. Are they looking for a software interface/platform to use across their product line? Like BlueOS or StreamMagic.

Yes. I believe this is correct. Maybe Harman will buy Qobuz.

I’m still not clear on why Harman bought Roon. Are they looking for a software interface/platform to use across their product line? Like BlueOS or StreamMagic.
Software for any music devices they have. Probably easily make any of their products Roon Ready and IP as @Joe Mac said too.

Intellectual peoperty. Samsung is a big corporation.
And they have a TON of products it’ll integrate with. Hifi is a drop in the bucket. TVs, BT speakers, phones, car audio. I don’t think people realize how much business Harman has in car audio OEM these days. Those contracts are pretty long, and a lot of contracts they signed 5 years ago are just now hitting the market (ex: Toyota).

They can start dropping Roon in for free in all those products and you probably won’t even notice because it will just be skinned/white labeled for whatever logo is on the device.

Hopefully they keep Roons programmers though, because both Harman and Samsung are pretty bad about creating software that’s continually updated after 3-4 years. Except with phones which is Google doing most of the updates.

Side note, if anyone wants evidence of Harman being bad at long term software planning, just go into the App Store on your phone and search Harman. At least a dozen JBL apps, multiple ML, AKG apps, a few Harman app, Harman Karson apps. It’s a mess.

They have a real habit of creating a brand new app for every idea instead of just building features into a few really good apps. So what happens when the software team is moved to new products after a year or two in market? Those apps are abandoned and suddenly your hardware that should last at least 10 years is on the verge of being bricked in 3-4 years.

So don’t get too excited when you do see this Roon integration start to show up in market.

Side note, if anyone wants evidence of Harman being bad at long term software planning, just go into the App Store on your phone and search Harman. At least a dozen JBL apps, multiple ML, AKG apps, a few Harman app, Harman Karson apps. It’s a mess.

They have a real habit of creating a brand new app for every idea instead of just building features into a few really good apps. So what happens when the software team is moved to new products after a year or two in market? Those apps are abandoned and suddenly your hardware that should last at least 10 years is on the verge of being bricked in 3-4 years.

So don’t get too excited when you do see this Roon integration start to show up in market.
I’m hoping they keep the engineers/coders around. They have steadily been releasing more features after being acquired including CarPlay now.

Back