The Dark Side; Digital audio equipment recommendations and setup.

One of the preamps I was looking at said that it took about 72 hours of just being turned on before it would sound right. It doesn't have a power button on it because they said just to keep it always on.

Doesn’t surprise me and I suppose preamps, especially phono prwamps, are generally very low draw items unless they’re tube.

Streaming between some meetings today.
Running the BS Node DAC and now that it is routed through the Rogue preamp amp with power amp, it actually sounds quite nice. I don't even really see a need to upgrade from this streamer DAC. That may change with more music but it's sounding just great for now.
many DACs sound kinda similar to me. i would be hard pressed to notice any difference between DAC chips in a blind test but maybe i'm also not that discerning...i did notice a difference with my Denafrips Ares though vs the internal DAC in my Auralic Aries mini. I'd guess that's because the Denafrips is a R2R ladder DAC.

many DACs sound kinda similar to me. i would be hard pressed to notice any difference between DAC chips in a blind test but maybe i'm also not that discerning...i did notice a difference with my Denafrips Ares though vs the internal DAC in my Auralic Aries mini. I'd guess that's because the Denafrips is a R2R ladder DAC.
Yeah I have only really heard the Denon and this one. But bits, chips and dips are just ones and zeros. So how much it affects sound is kind of a good question.

The amps have an entirely greater control of the signal and sound to me.

I can tell you that the DACs in the Marantz and the NAD are definitely different. I haven’t decided if I like one more than the other yet. I’m guessing I will lean towards the NAD as it is slightly warmer and therefore less fatiguing but I need to get some quality time in the listening chair over the ELACs to know for sure. Soundstage seems to be the same, but really won’t know until speaker listening.

I also know that it is a good thing that I don’t like filter 2 in the Marantz because only Filter 1 seems to come over the NAD’s DAC. The filters are more different then the DACs. The Marantz gets super fatiguing on the second filter and the soundstage shrinks. I’m not sure what someone would want to use it for. Maybe if they like to sit close to people scraping nails across a chalkboard?

The fact that I can tell soundstage is different on the B&Ws tells me all I really need to know about the phonostage in the NAD - as listening to vinyl on those, the soundstage never really seems to change. While it is more resolving than the Pluto, it is still a weak spot in the system.

I see why you guys get addicted to upgrades. I just want to get vinyl back to being the highlight in the system and then get new speakers, possibly a new table and then I’ll just play with carts forever. So unless something magical happens with the marantz DAC, I imagine phonostage is my next move.

I can tell you that the DACs in the Marantz and the NAD are definitely different. I haven’t decided if I like one more than the other yet. I’m guessing I will lean towards the NAD as it is slightly warmer and therefore less fatiguing but I need to get some quality time in the listening chair over the ELACs to know for sure. Soundstage seems to be the same, but really won’t know until speaker listening.

I also know that it is a good thing that I don’t like filter 2 in the Marantz because only Filter 1 seems to come over the NAD’s DAC. The filters are more different then the DACs. The Marantz gets super fatiguing on the second filter and the soundstage shrinks. I’m not sure what someone would want to use it for. Maybe if they like to sit close to people scraping nails across a chalkboard?

The fact that I can tell soundstage is different on the B&Ws tells me all I really need to know about the phonostage in the NAD - as listening to vinyl on those, the soundstage never really seems to change. While it is more resolving than the Pluto, it is still a weak spot in the system.

I see why you guys get addicted to upgrades. I just want to get vinyl back to being the highlight in the system and then get new speakers, possibly a new table and then I’ll just play with carts forever. So unless something magical happens with the marantz DAC, I imagine phonostage is my next move.
I know of an Insight that you can get in silver or black!

Streaming between some meetings today.
Running the BS Node DAC and now that it is routed through the Rogue preamp w/ power amp, it actually sounds quite nice. I don't even really see a need to upgrade from this streamer DAC. That may change with more music but it's sounding just great for now.
I too think the D>A on the Node sounds great!

Alright guys, been thinking about posting this for a while. Just purely entertaining the thought right now - it's another rabbit hole of acquisition, but SACDs...... 🙃

Totally new to the idea. Is there a player out there that won't break the bank? Like anything sub $200 say? Don't need anything other than a player that'll give me a stereo line out in some capacity. Simple! Any suggestions?

Alright guys, been thinking about posting this for a while. Just purely entertaining the thought right now - it's another rabbit hole of acquisition, but SACDs...... 🙃

Totally new to the idea. Is there a player out there that won't break the bank? Like anything sub $200 say? Don't need anything other than a player that'll give me a stereo line out in some capacity. Simple! Any suggestions?
Open to used?

Well stereo line out is good because once you try to connect SACD to a DAC it’s all pain and expense.

Look at legacy Sony and Marantz models would be your best bet.

Thanks, Joe! I wish my damn PS4 would just play 'em! 😂

The very first PS3 does…

There is this for just over budget if you fancy an entire CD/SACD collection in one player…

The very first PS3 does…

There is this for just over budget if you fancy an entire CD/SACD collection in one player…

Are there actually 400 different SACD titles available?

I got a marantz UD5007 that I quite like but not sure what the used price on them is these days. But it plays SACD and bluray so gives you some options. Before that, I found a $20 5 SACD changer for $20 at a local thrift store.

Certain models of Sony I think allow you to rip SACDs too with a little hack if you want that functionality.

Back