The Dark Side; Digital audio equipment recommendations and setup.

What would you use to stream from? If you have a newer iPad with a USB-C port you can plug a dongle dac into that then line out to your receiver.
I don't have an iPad. I have a new iPhone but I'd prefer not to use that if I can, I'm hoping I can buy something that will allow me to stream directly from my modem to the DAC if that makes sense? Like I have a Sonos playbar in my lounge that I control with my phone but its not pulling the files from my phone. Is this possible/feasible?

I don't have an iPad. I have a new iPhone but I'd prefer not to use that if I can, I'm hoping I can buy something that will allow me to stream directly from my modem to the DAC if that makes sense? Like I have a Sonos playbar in my lounge that I control with my phone but its not pulling the files from my phone. Is this possible/feasible?
So I guess what i'm asking for is recommendation on a $500-1000 DAC that I can stream lossless apple music directly through

So I guess what i'm asking for is recommendation on a $500-1000 DAC that I can stream lossless apple music directly through

Doesn’t exist for hi res because AirPlay is limited to 16/44 (which is lossless CD quality) wirelessly. You should also be able to AirPlay Apple Music to your Sonos at 16/44 too from the Apple Music app.

Tidal, Qobuz are super easy with a streamer. Apple is a bit of mishmash. You really would still need to connect an Apple product of some sort directly to the dac and then to the receiver

If Tidal or Qobuz had even remotely competent CarPlay/Siri integration I’d totally be there. As it is they don’t and are horrible to use for that and I use streaming more on the go so I’m still on Apple Music. One day there will be a service that gives you the best quality on your hifi and through your car…

If Tidal or Qobuz had even remotely competent CarPlay/Siri integration I’d totally be there. As it is they don’t and are horrible to use for that and I use streaming more on the go so I’m still on Apple Music. One day there will be a service that gives you the best quality on your hifi and through your car…
This is an exact use case for having two streaming services. For now, that may be the best solution.

This is an exact use case for having two streaming services. For now, that may be the best solution.

Honestly I’m not willing to invest that money in streaming given that almost 100% of my listening at home is vinyl. Even digitally I’d listen to more of the CDs/SACDs that I have lying around than streams. It’s part of why I dropped roon, even though it’s an amazing service.

I’m happy to have the most convenient car/headphone option for on the go and I can deal with CD quality for the handful of times I want to stream in the house.

Last edited:
Honestly I’m not willing to invest that money in streaming given that almost 100% of my listening at home is vinyl. Even digitally I’d listen to more of the CDs/SACDs that I have lying around than streams. It’s part of why I dropped roon, even though it’s an amazing service.

I’m happy to have the most convenient car/headphone option for on the go and I can deal with CD quality for the handful of times I want to stream in the house.
That’s totally understandable. And honestly, the mass majority of recordings are in CD quality in their highest form.

Thanks @jamieanderson1968 and @JohnnyCashFan for hooking me up with VLC. Works like a charm. I ended up having to put my downloads onto a memory card and sticking it in the old phone. It's fun having an MP3 player again and rediscovering some old toons!
Glad it worked out. Using the memory card is definitely the easiest way to move files over

Ok, I'm trying to wrap my head on how the node works.

So right now, I have my digital files on a NAS and I point my itunes library directly to them. So I run my files via itunes. Itunes could be bypassed, but I'd like to continue managing my files that way. There's just too many and I don't feel like changing that for now.

I also use streaming apps. Mostly Spotify still though I intend to change that eventually when I have some time to do some free trials.

I also happen to have some Sonos speakers in the living room. Those get used mostly by my daughter with Spotify.

The node would replace the Sonos Connect on my system. I hate that this older model doesn't do AirPlay directly.

So I'd want to send music directly from my itunes to the DAC. Can you do that or does it have to go through the BluOS?

And what about ROON? Does it fully replace the BluOS?

Ok, I'm trying to wrap my head on how the node works.

So right now, I have my digital files on a NAS and I point my itunes library directly to them. So I run my files via itunes. Itunes could be bypassed, but I'd like to continue managing my files that way. There's just too many and I don't feel like changing that for now.

I also use streaming apps. Mostly Spotify still though I intend to change that eventually when I have some time to do some free trials.

I also happen to have some Sonos speakers in the living room. Those get used mostly by my daughter with Spotify.

The node would replace the Sonos Connect on my system. I hate that this older model doesn't do AirPlay directly.

So I'd want to send music directly from my itunes to the DAC. Can you do that or does it have to go through the BluOS?

And what about ROON? Does it fully replace the BluOS?
Short answer is yes you can by pass BluOS and send your music to the NODE regardless of the music service you use. In fact, if you stream via Spotify best to do it that way as Spotify Connect is spotty (no pun intended) at best.

Short answer is yes you can by pass BluOS and send your music to the NODE regardless of the music service you use. In fact, if you stream via Spotify best to do it that way as Spotify Connect is spotty (no pun intended) at best.

Yeah, with Spotify Sonos, I pretty much don't use the native app except for software updates. Always directly from Spotify.

Ok, first off iTunes doesn't really play great with the Node.

If you use Roon (or BluOS) the music (either local or stream) is handed off to the Node and played directly from it to the amp. This will play at whatever bitrate the music is in.

If you are using iTunes, then it uses Airplay to send the stream (either local or streaming service) to the Node via the computer. The best you get is 16/44 (cd quality) with Airplay.

Back