The Dark Side; Digital audio equipment recommendations and setup.

Of course now you have to find digital versions that are not brickwalled

If it’s post 94 and not audiophile wank it’s likely it was brickwalled at the mix stage and so the vinyl is fucked by it too. So everything is fucked and you’re just picking which type of fucked works best for you.

Last edited:
What is the name of that plug in ? Its the not the discover one , is it ?
Thanks
Yes Bandcamp Discover. You can listen to the music in the Bandcamp articles or just search for who you want. For example, I don't own this Fazerdaze single.

1695005983488.png

I don't have any Julie Byrne in my FLAC collection, but if I just search on Volumio, I can listen to her from Bandcamp once I've installed the plugin.

1695006245212.png

So time for really basic questions….

But rate is the resolution, right? So 24 Bit is better than 16. I understand this.

The other measurement is sampling? What does that mean, I take it a higher number here is good too. So 192 kHz is better than 96. What exactly does this mean though?

So time for really basic questions….

But rate is the resolution, right? So 24 Bit is better than 16. I understand this.

The other measurement is sampling? What does that mean, I take it a higher number here is good too. So 192 kHz is better than 96. What exactly does this mean though?
Think of it as how many samples are taken per second. 192 is taking twice as many samples as 96. Means twice as much storage and twice as much data to process. So theoretically it's better, but I don't bother taking such a high sample rate when I rip CDs.

Think of it as how many samples are taken per second. 192 is taking twice as many samples as 96. Means twice as much storage and twice as much data to process. So theoretically it's better, but I don't bother taking such a high sample rate when I rip CDs.
That’s kind of what I thought but wanted to make sure.

Thanks!

In digital theory, a signal only needs to be sampled at twice the highest frequency in ordered to be captured and reproduced correctly. That is how we have 44.1kHz for CD quality audio. Excessive sampling without increasing bit depth effectively throws away computing power, which is why you rarely see CD quality audio sampled above 48kHz.

The situation is different for lossy algorithms like AAC, where bitrate in kbits/sec is used instead of sampling rate in kHz. It can very confusing when also talking about bit depth (i.e. 16 bits vs 24 bits). In practice, the dynamic range difference between CD to high res can be lost in recording techniques and the limitations of reproduction equipment. Increased dynamic range translates into less noise, but there are other limits on the noise you actually hear.

Analog open reel tapes were effectively limited to 13 bits of dynamic range; think of tape hiss representing the lowest level of noise possible on the tape.

I’ve been digging around the quboz forums and there is a guy who is mad that Quboz doesn’t have mofi and AP releases…. Like what the hell?
What really gets me is he is like their catalog is limited because of this and that they can’t seriously think they are a hifi service without them.

Tired Qobuz in the car today and got

“Qobuz has not enabled Siri.”

Eugh so likely won’t keep it beyond this trial then. Pity because it is so much nicer in the hifi but I use streaming in the car so so much more.

Tired Qobuz in the car today and got

“Qobuz has not enabled Siri.”

Eugh so likely won’t keep it beyond this trial then. Pity because it is so much nicer in the hifi but I use streaming in the car so so much more.
This is one of the benefits of the wife being entrenched in Spotify and resistent to change. It plays fine over Wi-Fi in the car. Never doing critical listening in the car any how.

This is one of the benefits of the wife being entrenched in Spotify and resistent to change. It plays fine over Wi-Fi in the car. Never doing critical listening in the car any how.

Oh yeah Spotify is every bit as easy and Apple Music in the car. Both are just compromised on the hifi and I won’t pay for both so the car wins out because I stream 2 hours a day in there, the hifi is much less.

Yes Bandcamp Discover. You can listen to the music in the Bandcamp articles or just search for who you want. For example, I don't own this Fazerdaze single.

View attachment 182610

I don't have any Julie Byrne in my FLAC collection, but if I just search on Volumio, I can listen to her from Bandcamp once I've installed the plugin.

View attachment 182611

gamechanger ! i had this installed and didnt even know

I really like Quboz by the way. I could not tell a difference between files marked HD on both it and Amazon. However, the interface with Bluos while clunky is far superior to the Amazon interface. Plus I really like the mobile app and their whole approach. I went ahead and put in a cancellation on Amazon.

Back