The Blue Note Thread

That's great to know. I think part of the reason I haven't ordered from VSS was that I wasn't sure whether I wanted the 12.75" or 13" sleeves.

I guess I'm oldschoold. I tend to prefer the single pocket and to remove the record and jacket form the outer sleeve when I listen to something. I tried some of the gatefold outers listed on Amazon (Big Fudge?) and after 15 minutes of wrestling with one to get it on a Tone Poet jacket, I decided they're not worth it to me. Plus I like to actually feel the texture of the jacket rather than plastic outersleeve material all the time.
I've found these to work very well, in the old-school way. They're 12 15/16 x 12 15/16 and I think the quality is great. Been using them for many years now, along with their slightly smaller sleeve that's 12 5/8 x 12 5/8. Covers everything except box sets, and I just ordered a bunch for that purpose from Vinyl Storage Solutions during their sale.

Amazon product ASIN B00O4XSAMY
Amazon product ASIN B00O4XS7IQ

That's great to know. I think part of the reason I haven't ordered from VSS was that I wasn't sure whether I wanted the 12.75" or 13" sleeves.

I guess I'm oldschoold. I tend to prefer the single pocket and to remove the record and jacket form the outer sleeve when I listen to something. I tried some of the gatefold outers listed on Amazon (Big Fudge?) and after 15 minutes of wrestling with one to get it on a Tone Poet jacket, I decided they're not worth it to me. Plus I like to actually feel the texture of the jacket rather than plastic outersleeve material all the time.
I keep them outside the jacket even in a gatefold sleeve. I guess for consistency.

I take standard jackets out of the sleeve from time to time, but mostly leave them in the sleeve.

I've been having this problem with Tone Poets, AS reissues, and some others for at least the last year or two. I used to be able to cram them in standard Sleeve City sleeves, though they were never ideal. I've bought several different varieties on Amazon claiming to be 12.75" or more, and none of them really accomodated the deluxe. I finally grabbed another bag of Sleeve City's Oversized Ultimate Outers and they do the job well. I know people love the Canadian ones, but they were always a little more expensive than I wanted to spend. I know they just had a BF sale though, so I suppose they go on sale every so often.
agree...im pretty over the gatefold thing for the sake of gatefold...for reissues the goal should be to replicate the original as closely as possible, IMO

agree...im pretty over the gatefold thing for the sake of gatefold...for reissues the goal should be to replicate the original as closely as possible, IMO
Hint - there are two magnificent volumes of Blue Note photography edited by Michael Cuscuna, one a large size hardcover, the other softcover, and yet another on YellowKorner. They have just about every photo used in any gatefold and more.

The idea to put photos in the gatefold originated with Music Matters on their initial 45rpm series, as he needed something to fill the inner gate fold, and licensing the photos was much cheaper than commissioning new liner notes.

I can see the appeal to the casual consumer, but I haven't gained anything from the gatefold photos other than the need for more storage units.

I'm enjoying Easterly Winds quite a bit. Something really cool about Jack Wilson that I would have never really caught on to before this reissue.
Of course Katanga! is maybe one of the coolest Tone Poet albums where he is a side man.

Just awesome to get exposed to some out of the ordinary (for me) titles I probably wouldn't hear otherwise.

Just finished listening to this Leonard Cohen tribute album. Not sure why or how it became a Blue Note project, but it's quite different for a tribute album in that while there is a unique vocalist for each track (except for the two instrumentals), the band is the same across the board (Bill Frisell (g), Scott Colley (b), Nate Smith (d) Greg Leisz (pedal steel), Kevin Hays (p), Immanuel Wilkens (s)). I assume all these players have ties to Blue Note, and this approach gives the 2LP set a lot more cohesiveness than the typical tribute album.

Just finished listening to this Leonard Cohen tribute album. Not sure why or how it became a Blue Note project, but it's quite different for a tribute album in that while there is a unique vocalist for each track (except for the two instrumentals), the band is the same across the board (Bill Frisell (g), Scott Colley (b), Nate Smith (d) Greg Leisz (pedal steel), Kevin Hays (p), Immanuel Wilkens (s)). I assume all these players have ties to Blue Note, and this approach gives the 2LP set a lot more cohesiveness than the typical tribute album.

Frisell gives me a really cool SRV vibe. Haven't heard this one yet but any thoughts on his playing here?

This is a really nice one. I quite enjoy it.

I'm enjoying Easterly Winds quite a bit. Something really cool about Jack Wilson that I would have never really caught on to before this reissue.
Of course Katanga! is maybe one of the coolest Tone Poet albums where he is a side man.

Just awesome to get exposed to some out of the ordinary (for me) titles I probably wouldn't hear otherwise.
Need to grab Easterly Winds at some point. I picked up “Something Personal” years ago on a whim and remember really enjoying it. He’s done some great work as an arranger too. Esther Phillips’ album From A Whisper To A Scream comes to mind

Need to grab Easterly Winds at some point. I picked up “Something Personal” years ago on a whim and remember really enjoying it. He’s done some great work as an arranger too. Esther Phillips’ album From A Whisper To A Scream comes to mind
Yeah grab it when you can. I waited for $28 but it's a really good year for the TP releases. Some solid titles!

I liked Easterly Winds a lot, but I was kinda surprised that it didn’t sound that good (at least by tone poet standards) - did you get that impression too? But still, *gif of Paul Rudd saying “great recohhrd”*

I liked Easterly Winds a lot, but I was kinda surprised that it didn’t sound that good (at least by tone poet standards) - did you get that impression too? But still, *gif of Paul Rudd saying “great recohhrd”*
No. I thought it was excellent sounding. Maybe you have something going on with your copy?

No. I thought it was excellent sounding. Maybe you have something going on with your copy?
I think it’s the drums, or at least the cymbals. Usually RVG drums sound amazing (even on below average SQ titles like Time for Tyner the drums sound great). I listened back to back with Lee Morgan Infinity and it’s a very different sound.

Hint - there are two magnificent volumes of Blue Note photography edited by Michael Cuscuna, one a large size hardcover, the other softcover, and yet another on YellowKorner. They have just about every photo used in any gatefold and more.

The idea to put photos in the gatefold originated with Music Matters on their initial 45rpm series, as he needed something to fill the inner gate fold, and licensing the photos was much cheaper than commissioning new liner notes.

I can see the appeal to the casual consumer, but I haven't gained anything from the gatefold photos other than the need for more storage units.
Yeah, ive got a bunch of MM that I guess I was lucky to buy on release, still prefer things to be replica of the original - like doing replica Unipaks on some of the late 60s/early 70s funky titles....but they are premium, and most consumers have never seen an original so...anyone can comment what they will on the SQ of the Disk Union mono series from 10 years ago, but they are probably the nicest reissues ever done (can't comment on ERC stuff) - id be happy to pay the same TP cost for 75% of the quality on those

Just noticed that Joel Ross has a new album on the way. He is coming through town with Gerald Clayton and Immanuel Wilkins in February, as part of the Jazz is Dead Blue Note 85th anniversary tour. @Matt M @Portland Sheriff either of you up for going?

nubluesD2CLP.png

Back