The Blue Note Thread

In case any of you ballers want the OG with the correct jacket

Just dropped to $499 last night.

Also, it’s making me feel great about my high bid of $115 on an OG stereo of The All Seeing Eye. Kind of hoping someone outbids that...o_O

Just dropped to $499 last night.

Also, it’s making me feel great about my high bid of $115 on an OG stereo of The All Seeing Eye. Kind of hoping someone outbids that...o_O

115 isn't a crazy price if it's in good shape...

I don't think I've paid more than 50 for anything yet although I've spent over 100 on other genres so it's probably just a matter of time...

I don't think I've paid more than 50 for anything yet although I've spent over 100 on other genres so it's probably just a matter of time...
It says VG++, but yeah i agree.

Should just grab that one off of Discogs for $80.
Damn I wish I would have thought of that earlier before making that bid..

Also, it’s the last of the 60’s Wayne Shorter Blue Notes I need. So needless to say, my desire outweighs my financial responsibility. 😆 :ROFLMAO:

Also, it’s the last of the 60’s Wayne Shorter Blue Notes I need. So needless to say, my desire outweighs my financial responsibility. 😆 :ROFLMAO:
Trying to figure out if you and I and a couple of other N&Gers are in some sort of Shorter Demand Vortex or if there really is a widespread, pent-up interest in Shorter due to a clear lack of quality reissues?

Thought I heard Etcetera has sold quite well for Blue Note (still one of my favorite purchases of the last year). If that's the case, I'm trying to gauge whether some of these other Shorter titles might be up for reissue in 2020.

Trying to figure out if you and I and a couple of other N&Gers are in some sort of Shorter Demand Vortex or if there really is a widespread, pent-up interest in Shorter due to a clear lack of quality reissues?

Thought I heard Etcetera has sold quite well for Blue Note (still one of my favorite purchases of the last year). If that's the case, I'm trying to gauge whether some of these other Shorter titles might be up for reissue in 2020.

I think it's probably both. Every eBay auction I've seen for a Shorter has gone over $100 for the past month+ that I've been paying attention. Discogs pricing is similar too.

Are any of you familiar with George Braith? He was known for playing an alto and tenor sax at the same time (like Roland Kirk) and created his own hybrid called the Braithophone. Im not one for novelties like that, but I picked up his first recording 'Soul Stream' on Blue Note (Original 1963 pressing) the other week and it's simply fantastic. He doesn't appear to be focusing on the double playing gimmick on this album and its better off for it. He kills it throughout and Grant Green is superb as always. Cant wait to spin this again and ive already listened to it twice tonight!!!

IMG_4823.JPG

Are any of you familiar with George Braith? He was known for playing an alto and tenor sax at the same time (like Roland Kirk) and created his own hybrid called the Braithophone. Im not one for novelties like that, but I picked up his first recording 'Soul Stream' on Blue Note (Original 1963 pressing) the other week and it's simply fantastic. He doesn't appear to be focusing on the double playing gimmick on this album and its better off for it. He kills it throughout and Grant Green is superb as always. Cant wait to spin this again and ive already listened to it twice tonight!!!

View attachment 12029
Cool! <Checks prices on Discogs> 😱

I so, so hope the Tone Poet picks up The All Seeing Eye.
I feel like me losing so many auctions has to point to something, right?
Heh.
That one that ended yesterday topped out at $189 and some change.
So out of my comfort zone.

Can’t even find an available King press.
Anywhere.

I did a needle drop of the first two tracks of Introducing Johnny Griffin with both the BN 80 and MMJ SRX, in case anyone is interested. Here are the FLAC files.

Someone please correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe these were both mastered by Kevin Gray at Cohearant Audio and plated at RTI. The BN80 was then pressed at optimal on standard vinyl and the MMJ was pressed at RTI on SRX vinyl.

A version

Another version

Edit: signal chain was Thorens TD-125 mk with a Jelco 850s arm and Dynavector 20x2H into my trusty Sansui 2000x. I took the preamp out into a Scarlett USB interface.

Last edited:

View attachment 12029

What a coincidence, I just discovered that he had also recorded a few Blue note albums as a leader. I had stumbled across him a while back on the Big John Patton album Blue John, where I really liked his playing. Kind of forgot about him, but rediscovered him this morning. Have to have a listen to his albums, especially because Grant green seems to be a side man on most of them 🥰

What a coincidence, I just discovered that he had also recorded a few Blue note albums as a leader. I had stumbled across him a while back on the Big John Patton album Blue John, where I really liked his playing. Kind of forgot about him, but rediscovered him this morning. Have to have a listen to his albums, especially because Grant green seems to be a side man on most of them 🥰

Ah brilliant! Yes, I believe the Blue John was actually the first record he appears on (certainly the first Blue Note anyway). Im not personally a huge fan of the Roland Kirk-esk multiple instrument playing but Braith can clearly play and isn't using it as a distraction. I am actually going to post some photos/reviews and a short write up on Soul Stream tonight on my Instagram account - Selaws_Spins (Shameless plug 🤣). Grant Greens playing on it is superb, with a couple of stunning solo's thrown in for good measure.

I own the John Scofield Go-Go. Good pressing, high quality -- and I remember it as having good sound, but I'd have to spin it again to give you a real review. I don't remember anything about the mastering and the degree of Analog vs digital. There are some titles at a discount on elusive.

Back