The Blue Note Thread

Any early reviews on the new pressing of Art Blakey's Moanin'?
So, apparently they only sent the Art Blakey, I'm still scheduled to get the Hank Mobley next Tuesday, but Moanin has arrived,

View attachment 94635

edit- given it a spin & sounds really dynamic, but again I have an issue with some noise very early on after the first break. I had some issues with the Cannonball Adderley as well.

So, I have a 1983 Japanese pressing which I loved, given the classic series price, and KG mastering I thought I may as well just go all in with them. I'm having a bit of a crisis though, as I'm definitely in the Boom Boom 100 club & @MikeH might hate me but I really prefer the Japanese pressing.
Just received mine, as well as the Mobley. Spinning Blakey right now, and like every other classics so far, it's awesome, especially considering the price! Not offended by the cover, but curious to know why it's different.

edit: @Andy where do you hear the noise again? on the first track?
edit edit: forgot to mention, polylined inners!

Just received mine, as well as the Mobley. Spinning Blakey right now, and like every other classics so far, it's awesome, especially considering the price! Not offended by the cover, but curious to know why it's different.

My Amz Preorder came today. Does everyone have UMe bottom left back cover on there's btw ?

On my spin list for after dinner.

20210409_154424.jpg

20210409_154341.jpg

It's on the first track, on one of the quiet parts, pretty near the start

Glad to hear your's sounds good. Mine also had the poly liner, which definitley did make a difference to the previous issues.

Assumed my amazon preorder was coming today, but now it's scheduled for tuesday for some reason. Good to know the quality is consistent. Really looking forward to having a copy of Moanin I can play to death.

It's on the first track, on one of the quiet parts, pretty near the start

Glad to hear your's sounds good. Mine also had the poly liner, which definitley did make a difference to the previous issues.

Poly liner here with open corners. Mine came in a Lp box from Amz. Not sure if Amz is fulfilling them this way or BN are sending them pre packaged in LP boxes.

@Andy Quick check I did not hear any noise S01/TR01. Do you have a RCM you can clean it on ?
Pretty quiet and WIDE stage on this one.

Poly liner here with open corners. Mine came in a Lp box from Amz. Not sure if Amz is fulfilling them this way or BN are sending them pre packaged in LP boxes.

@Andy Quick check I did not hear any noise S01/TR01. Do you have a RCM you can clean it on ?
Pretty quiet and WIDE stage on this one.

Yeah. I have Project RCM, I gave it a clean, but still had the issue. I will give it another go though. It could also be my stylus beginning to wear.

Good sounding side one on Moanin'. Nice WIDE stage, Kevin's usual focus on the drums IMHO. Nice and smooth brass.

This is the closest thing I've seen BN say as an explanation for the cover:

I guess this cover is the first edition where the album was technically renamed "Moanin'" so that's why they went with it? I agree though, it's not a terrible change or anything, just... a curiosity. In the end it's the record and music itself that matters, not a cover's font and layout.

(I was late to the pre-order party so I'm probably not getting my copy until next month 😭)

This is the closest thing I've seen BN say as an explanation for the cover:

I guess this cover is the first edition where the album was technically renamed "Moanin'" so that's why they went with it? I agree though, it's not a terrible change or anything, just... a curiosity. In the end it's the record and music itself that matters, not a cover's font and layout.

(I was late to the pre-order party so I'm probably not getting my copy until next month 😭)

Please ignore this, anyone who is annoyed by minutia.

If we're nitpicking, it appears to be more like the 1968 or better yet '87 IMO. The picture and the title are lower like the '68/87 wrt the top of the jacket. It doesn't have the "STEREO" at the top like the '68 and the top of head is a a little bit higher, but not cut off like the '68. Tie is cut off instead. '87 was basically identical except it has no cat numbers. I think 2008 might be the exact same cover, but the discogs photo has the top cut off. All of this based on discogs so take it with a grain of salt, maybe discogs is wrong and Blue Note is right. Bottom line is that it is a curious choice and they didn't answer the question of why they chose it. I wonder as well. Obviously not a big deal but I wasted time the other day looking at discogs because I was just curious to see where they got it from so I thought I'd share.

'66
1966.jpg

'68

1968.jpg

'87
1987.jpg

'08
2008.jpg

Please ignore this, anyone who is annoyed by minutia.

If we're nitpicking, it appears to be more like the 1968 or better yet '87 IMO. The picture and the title are lower like the '68/87 wrt the top of the jacket. It doesn't have the "STEREO" at the top like the '68 and the top of head is a a little bit higher, but not cut off like the '68. Tie is cut off instead. '87 was basically identical except it has no cat numbers. I think 2008 might be the exact same cover, but the discogs photo has the top cut off. All of this based on discogs so take it with a grain of salt, maybe discogs is wrong and Blue Note is right. Bottom line is that it is a curious choice and they didn't answer the question of why they chose it. I wonder as well. Obviously not a big deal but I wasted time the other day looking at discogs because I was just curious to see where they got it from so I thought I'd share.

'66
View attachment 95069

'68

View attachment 95070

'87
View attachment 95071

'08
View attachment 95072

For $23 I'm not complaining in any way. In fact it's hard to think how Don is making any money on these. He probably isn't. Anything comparable by Chad would be $35 -50+ no doubt.

Side 2 of Moanin' BN Cl plays well also. The drum opus and military beats are always a bit odd musically, but still a enjoyable side in the end. Kudos to Kevin again. If you do not have a vintage pressing or good remaster I would recommend it for your library.

For $23 I'm not complaining in any way. In fact it's hard to think how Don is making any money on these. He probably isn't. Anything comparable by Chad would be $35 -50+ no doubt.

Side 2 of Moanin' BN Cl plays well also. The drum opus and military beats are always a bit odd musically, but still a enjoyable side in the end. Kudos to Kevin again. If you do not have a vintage pressing or good remaster I would recommend it for your library.
Hell yeah. Don't mistake my deep dive into the minutia as trying to pooh pooh anything. If I wanted another copy of Moanin' I would be all over it.

Back