The Blue Note Thread

Anyone else‘s Jazz at Midnite have really bad popping throughout side A? Side B is mostly quiet, but holy shit that first side is rough on my copy.

I have to admit I'm a bit behind with my TP purchases, and have only picked up three to date (Chet, Introducing Kenny Burrell, Grant Green Nigeria).

Out of curiosity, what TP's would you recommend to a lover of Hard Bop / Modal jazz?

I have to admit I'm a bit behind with my TP purchases, and have only picked up three to date (Chet, Introducing Kenny Burrell, Grant Green Nigeria).

Out of curiosity, what TP's would you recommend to a lover of Hard Bop / Modal jazz?
I know you asked TP, but don't sleep on the Basra BN80 for those genres.

View attachment 64067

I've been streaming this record since it dropped and the signed copy finally came today. Pretty psyced they sent two sleeves and it's numbered. Thanks to whoever posted this!! Glad I canceled my VMP version for this one.
I ordered this one at the same time as the Blue Note Reimagined album so I sadly think I’ll have to wait to get this until that one comes out since they likely hold back orders until everything is in stock.

Wayne Shorter - Etc.
and
Andrew Hill - Black Fire
I love those two records, but I think they lean more towards Post Bop, and sometimes even Free Jazz (especially Andrew Hill). @VinylGuy if hard bop and modal are your thing, pretty much all the TP reissues will please you. Definitely give Shorter and Hill a listen, but I would also suggest Lee Morgan - Cornbread for a quality hard bop record with occasional forays into other kinds of jazz.

I love those two records, but I think they lean more towards Post Bop, and sometimes even Free Jazz (especially Andrew Hill). @VinylGuy if hard bop and modal are your thing, pretty much all the TP reissues will please you. Definitely give Shorter and Hill a listen, but I would also suggest Lee Morgan - Cornbread for a quality hard bop record with occasional forays into other kinds of jazz.

Yeah, the two I suggested are definitely Post-Bop. I was thinking more about which were good examples of modal jazz.

Donald Byrd's Chant is on Scott Yanow's 17 essential hard bop recordings list. That one is pretty overlooked. Great sounding barry sax on that one. I can't recommend Hutcherson's The Kicker enough either, that one is awesome.

Chant is awesome. Not least because that's the only one in my collection where the perferated plastic bag rip is actually at the top of the record sleeve and not a random side or upside down!

The random bag openings has to be the most infuriating thing about this series.

Chant is awesome. Not least because that's the only one in my collection where the perferated plastic bag rip is actually at the top of the record sleeve and not a random side or upside down!

The random bag openings has to be the most infuriating thing about this series.
I think I have only had 1 upside down sticker. But I have 3-4 where the stick has the sleeve bunched up underneath. Do not like.

I think I have only had 1 upside down sticker. But I have 3-4 where the stick has the sleeve bunched up underneath. Do not like.
I've only have one where the sticker is in the right place once the bag is open and the right way up. And I've about 10 records.

Donald Byrd's Chant is on Scott Yanow's 17 essential hard bop recordings list. That one is pretty overlooked. Great sounding barry sax on that one. I can't recommend Hutcherson's The Kicker enough either, that one is awesome.
Thanks for recommending Chant. Can't remember if I checked it out before or not, but I'm really digging it and might have to pick that one up next.

Will check it out, love a bit of Lee Morgan (y)

I'd need your help guys in identifying a first pressing...

As already mentioned in the "What's Spinning" thread I've received my 1965 OG Mono copy of "The Blue Mitchell Quintett - Down With It" BLP 4214 yesterday, after the package was on the road around the world for nearly half a year. It has the Plastylite "P" or ear, the Van Gelder stamp, and a original inner sleeve (27 YEARS OF BLUE NOTE) which was used from Dec.65 - Jul.66. So all that tells me it is the real thing. However, Discogs mentions Deep Groove, and Popsike auctions mentioned Deep Groove on Side B only. But, mine does not have any Deep Groove.

Does that mean it is a repress from the same year as the original release, which Discogs does not know about? Or did the pressing plant exchange dies during one production run? Or were more than one pressing machines used for one and the same production run?

No matter what, I keep that record, I love it... But I just would like to know what I really have. Thanks a lot!

I'd need your help guys in identifying a first pressing...

As already mentioned in the "What's Spinning" thread I've received my 1965 OG Mono copy of "The Blue Mitchell Quintett - Down With It" BLP 4214 yesterday, after the package was on the road around the world for nearly half a year. It has the Plastylite "P" or ear, the Van Gelder stamp, and a original inner sleeve (27 YEARS OF BLUE NOTE) which was used from Dec.65 - Jul.66. So all that tells me it is the real thing. However, Discogs mentions Deep Groove, and Popsike auctions mentioned Deep Groove on Side B only. But, mine does not have any Deep Groove.

Does that mean it is a repress from the same year as the original release, which Discogs does not know about? Or did the pressing plant exchange dies during one production run? Or were more than one pressing machines used for one and the same production run?

No matter what, I keep that record, I love it... But I just would like to know what I really have. Thanks a lot!
There are quite a few Blue Notes that are listed as first pressings, with the same year and info but the only change is the deep grooves (one without, one-side only, both sides), so it might just be that a listing for your specific copy was never made. It's hard to say for sure at just a glance, but looking at the photo you posted it doesnt look like a later pressing. Down With It looks to have only been reissued in 1981 onwards, and yours certainly looks older than that.

On a side note, and this might cause controversy, but I really don't sign up to some of the subtler nuances some people use when distinguishing what is a first pressing and what isn't. A prime example is that in some cases you will have a first pressing with a NYC on one label and New York 23 on the other. I've seen people claim that a copy with the NYC on both labels is to be classed as a second pressing, even in situations where they had just used up all of the old New York 23 labels and moved to the next batch of labels (the label changed in 1958 mid-pressing in some cases). In this case the records literally came from the same batch, but just with a label from a different pile, yet I have seen people flat out refuse to accept they are the same, even going as far as saying the audio quality is different between the 2. Frank Cohen is a legend but even he uses the same level of strictness in some cases.

Charlie Parker: Jazz at Midnight. Caveat: I'm not an expert on Parker.

Sax way up front in the mix; crowd, piano, drums, and rest of the band clearly well behind the mic. Great interaction on the first track (Ornithology) between Parker and Max Roach (drums). Clear enthusiasm from the crowd and both band and crowd are having a good time. Parker is amazing to listen to -- you really get the sense that he could take it anywhere he wanted and he's blowing with great power. Downside -- he's pushing the tolerances of the mic at some points.

The piano leaves you wishing you could hear more clearly as there is some nice playing. Absolutely no regrets in buying the record. The crowd is having a ball in that room.

Net: It will never be demo record, has some harsh upper ranges, plays a bit like history, and the band occasionally sounds like they are in the kitchen -- but it's really hard not to grin like a kid listening and holy cow it gives you the sense of wonder at Parker (and leaves me feeling the gap in my knowledge/collection) and how transformative he was -- buy for Parker, Jack Holliday, a joyous crowd, Roach and Parker crushing it.
Yeah but the sound quality really sucks. It‘s good you can hear past the plenty of distortions, the muffled sound and the abrupt fade at the end of the track, to the great playing. I really hated the recording quality but your review made me try again to listen to this as a vintage gem recorded maybe by a janitor. What a struggle

Last edited:
Back