The Blue Note Thread

I can't spend that much right now, especially on any of those MMJ releases, so I've been trying to find deals where I can. Just got the BN80 of Introducing Johnny Griffin for $9 through an Amazon Warehouse deal. Cover was a little bent but the record was fine inside. I was going to get this an AP 45 but waited too long on the 50% off sale that Acoustic Sounds was having back in the Spring. Also got a cheap copy ($11) of the BN75 of Art Blakey's Mosaic which is next up to spin. That one is sealed so it should be okay.

Screen Shot 2020-08-25 at 12.16.15 PM.pngScreen Shot 2020-08-25 at 12.16.38 PM.png

The deluxe set is $140 after the discount. Still plenty too rich for my blood.

I can't spend that much right now, especially on any of those MMJ releases, so I've been trying to find deals where I can. Just got the BN80 of Introducing Johnny Griffin for $9 through an Amazon Warehouse deal. Cover was a little bent but the record was fine inside. I was going to get this an AP 45 but waited too long on the 50% off sale that Acoustic Sounds was having back in the Spring. Also got a cheap copy ($11) of the BN75 of Art Blakey's Mosaic which is next up to spin. That one is sealed so it should be okay.
There are a lot of MMS still available on their site especially if you’re okay with 45RPM. I’ve also found some good deals on AP on eBay lately.

View attachment 63004View attachment 63005

The deluxe set is $140 after the discount. Still plenty too rich for my blood.
Yeah I had this box set but sold it earlier this year after I ripped the CDs. I got one off of EBay from a UK seller for super cheap ($50 or so). I was out of space and didn’t listen to it nearly as much as I should have. I don’t think I even opened the graphic novel that came with it. It’s such a great album and nice box set but I really wish they would release the vinyl separately.

This might have been discussed already, but I just got through watching this fantastic interview with Joe Harley from a few weeks ago. Towards the end he lists out a few of the Tone Poet releases which he will be working on for a 2021 release (Link Here). I know a couple have already been mentioned, so here's a bit more info.

Dexter Gordon - One Flight Up (One of the early releases in the 2021 calendar)
Andrew Hill - Passing Ships (Might be a double record due to there being a lot of extra material)
Joe Pass - Django

He also hinted that they will be releasing some of the albums from the Transition label (which will no doubt be amazing).

This might have been discussed already, but I just got through watching this fantastic interview with Joe Harley from a few weeks ago. Towards the end he lists out a few of the Tone Poet releases which he will be working on for a 2021 release (Link Here). I know a couple have already been mentioned, so here's a bit more info.

Dexter Gordon - One Flight Up (One of the early releases in the 2021 calendar)
Andrew Hill - Passing Ships (Might be a double record due to there being a lot of extra material)
Joe Pass - Django

He also hinted that they will be releasing some of the albums from the Transition label (which will no doubt be amazing).
I’ve been holding off on buying Transition LPs since they are so expensive. I have Watkins At Large which is awesome though. Hope they press some others I haven’t been able to afford like Byrd Blows on Beacon Hill!

I’ve been holding off on buying Transition LPs since they are so expensive. I have Watkins At Large which is awesome though. Hope they press some others I haven’t been able to afford like Byrd Blows on Beacon Hill!
I picked up a Japanese press of Byrd Blows On Beacon Hill a few weeks ago. It wasn't too expensive (even with shipping from Japan) and sounds incredible!

Blue Note revised their Tone Poet release schedule through the end of the year:

Tone Poet Audiophile Vinyl Reissue Series – Revised 2020 Release Schedule:

August 28

September 11

September 25

October 30

• Art Blakey & The Jazz Messengers – Roots & Herbs (Blue Note, 1961)
  • Bobby Hutcherson – Oblique (Blue Note, 1967)
  • Duke Pearson – The Phantom (Blue Note, 1968)
November 20

• Donald Byrd – Byrd In Flight (Blue Note, 1960)
  • Tina Brooks – The Waiting Game (Blue Note, 1961)
  • McCoy Tyner – Tender Moments (Blue Note, 1967)
December 11

• Paul Chambers – Bass On Top (Blue Note, 1957)
  • Lee Morgan – The Rajah (Blue Note, 1966)
  • John Scofield & Pat Metheny – I Can See Your House From Here (Blue Note, 1993)

I believe Joe Harley has hinted at more Wayne Shorter as part of the TP series. Blue Note posted the cover art to all of the albums Shorter released in the label yesterday, and seeing them all side by side made me remember a couple of releases I tend to forget. Most of Shorter's early stuff has been reissued recently, so I'm hoping we get more of a left-field pick, like Super Nova or Odissey of Iska.

I haven’t been keeping up with the TP and 80s the last few months due to moving and dieting. Have they been selling out? Looking online it seems a few of them are hard to find at the 30-35 dollar price, and other TPs can be had for 25, but are those harder to find ones being restocked? (I am mainly interested in the cooker, which I can’t seem to find)

I haven’t been keeping up with the TP and 80s the last few months due to moving and dieting. Have they been selling out? Looking online it seems a few of them are hard to find at the 30-35 dollar price, and other TPs can be had for 25, but are those harder to find ones being restocked? (I am mainly interested in the cooker, which I can’t seem to find)
Honestly don't think we have to worry about them selling out. The earlier copies are all still available at a discounted price (compared to when they first came out). I personally have been able to get each TP for under their initial sale price just by waiting. It seems to be that as each batch is released, the others drop in value. Im just waiting for that to happen with the latest set before getting them.

I think the stock is way low on udiscover because they had a big sale in July with stacking codes. I think the Blue note website has also had a few sales recently. But I don't think they're limited, so just may have to wait for them to press more and restock.

New Joel Ross album on the way!

New Joel Ross album on the way!

Just popped on here to post this, should be a good one!

Back