The Blue Note Thread

20% off at ReverbLP. Here's THE LINK narrowed to Blue Notes, priced high to low. The more you spend, the more you save!

These five links below are 45rpm Music Matters priced around $50 lower. That puts them in the $40 range (plus shipping).

Gil Melle - Patterns in Jazz
Jackie McLean - Swing, Swang, Swingin
John Jenkins - With Kenny Burrell
Horace Parlan - Us 3
Art Blakey - The Big Beat
And to boot, three of those are from the same seller, so there would be a break on shipping.

20% off at ReverbLP. Here's THE LINK narrowed to Blue Notes, priced high to low. The more you spend, the more you save!

These five links below are 45rpm Music Matters priced around $50 lower. That puts them in the $40 range (plus shipping).

Gil Melle - Patterns in Jazz
Jackie McLean - Swing, Swang, Swingin
John Jenkins - With Kenny Burrell
Horace Parlan - Us 3
Art Blakey - The Big Beat
I know this stuff is good and never really goes on sale but I feel like the best deal is still always 10 bucks more then I'd like to pay. With the Miles Mofis I've been lucky to get most for under 40 each but have a feeling I will never see a MM for 40 w/ shipping

Just saw the note from VMP about re-sending the Dexter jackets for the Anthology. I saw some conversation on the topic, but curious what the issue was? Can anyone summarize for a lazy person?
The major issue for some subscribers was that the back of the jacket was the CD remaster artwork, complete with wrong credits about digital remastering, etc., instead of the original notes by Leonard Feather. Some subscribers were also upset that the quality of the image on the front wasn't as high as they had hoped.

The major issue for some subscribers was that the back of the jacket was the CD remaster artwork, complete with wrong credits about digital remastering, etc., instead of the original notes by Leonard Feather. Some subscribers were also upset that the quality of the image on the front wasn't as high as they had hoped.

The front had the CD number too, bad all around (the quality looked bad because the blow-up the CD cover)

Just saw the note from VMP about re-sending the Dexter jackets for the Anthology. I saw some conversation on the topic, but curious what the issue was? Can anyone summarize for a lazy person?
Emailed that they are repressing with the origional design and will send those out when done, which may take around 10 weeks

Man do i want that Art Blakey The Big Bear but I just sprung on the 33&1/3rpm Speak No Evil and the 45rpm Night Dreamer last night. o_O
I'm starting to get on the MM train now too and the itch is a lot to scratch hah. I was eyeing Art too but it's pretty pricey. They had Night Dreamer in the sale too and quite a few others at Academy but Night Dreamer is opened.

So looking through the MM and the new BN releases I feel like there isn't a lot of 70's stuff being put out. Any good fusion or avant garde stuff they put out anyone would recommend, outside Mr Byrd who I love

So looking through the MM and the new BN releases I feel like there isn't a lot of 70's stuff being put out. Any good fusion or avant garde stuff they put out anyone would recommend, outside Mr Byrd who I love
If you're talking specifically BN, I think they are repressing Bobbi Humphrey Blacks and Blues. Forget if its an 80th anniversary or Tone Poet. I'm most familiar with Byrd but might want to check out Eddie Henderson - Sunburst and Bobby Hutcherson - Linger Lane. Outside of Blue Note, George Duke is a favorite of mine.

Sam Rivers, Andrew Hill and Grachan Moncur can get kinda wild. That would be my avant garde recommendation.

For 70s fusion, it's not what I typically think of as fusion. More with funky soul jazz with a helping of fusion. I'd say Bobby Hutcherson's Montara, Lonnie Smith's Think, Jimmy McGriff's Electric Funk, and I'd say Eddie Henderson, but his best album is the first he released called Realization, and it blew me away! I had no idea. Worth listening if you're looking for a fusion experience. I have his album Sunburst (on Blue Note), but don't remember it being nearly as good.

Sam Rivers, Andrew Hill and Grachan Moncur can get kinda wild. That would be my avant garde recommendation.

For 70s fusion, it's not what I typically think of as fusion. More with funky soul jazz with a helping of fusion. I'd say Bobby Hutcherson's Montara, Lonnie Smith's Think, Jimmy McGriff's Electric Funk, and I'd say Eddie Henderson, but his best album is the first he released called Realization, and it blew me away! I had no idea. Worth listening if you're looking for a fusion experience. I have his album Sunburst (on Blue Note), but don't remember it being nearly as good.
Very excited to get a pressing of Montara in the near future.

Back