The Blue Note Thread

Check out McCoy Tyner's last couple of records on Blue Note. Extensions & Assante.
love me some McCoy, thanks for all the recommendations guys. Definitely recognize many of the names and own some albums by quite a few. Guess I was just focusing on how many being released this year are between 60-64, but I feel like that's the golden age for BN, even though I love 70s fusion so much

I'm starting to get on the MM train now too and the itch is a lot to scratch hah. I was eyeing Art too but it's pretty pricey. They had Night Dreamer in the sale too and quite a few others at Academy but Night Dreamer is opened.
Man, I really gotta slow down. Just won an eBay auction for an SRX Adam’s Apple last night.

Would love to grab The Soothesayer, The All Seeing Eye, & Schizophrenia at some point and I’ll be good on Shorter for a few months.

But yeah the Art Blakey is a little high but the Japanese King presses will run you $40-55 shipped for a good copy anyways so it’s not too outrageous.

Man, I really gotta slow down. Just won an eBay auction for an SRX Adam’s Apple last night.

Would love to grab The Soothesayer, The All Seeing Eye, & Schizophrenia at some point and I’ll be good on Shorter for a few months.

But yeah the Art Blakey is a little high but the Japanese King presses will run you $40-55 shipped for a good copy anyways so it’s not too outrageous.
I hear ya, I just splurged on this lot. Most are audiophile, and the rest are inexpensive pressings. 20190525_101120 (Large).jpg20190525_101227 (Large).jpg

Well, this is really hard to do as I plan on getting all of them except for the Robert Glasper (it just did not move me enough upon trying it out, but I might come back to it), and Brian Blade Fellowship because I just don't think I will spin it more than once, as good as it is. I'm going back and forth on the Bobbi Humphrey album mostly because it has vocals and for some reason that kind of ruins things for me, but the grooves are just so damn good on that album so I don't know. All the rest are things that will definitely get multiple spins from me.

If I had a gun to my head and had to pick just six or die:
Freddie Hubbard – Hub-Tones
Art Blakey & The Jazz Messengers – Indestructible
Joe Henderson – In ‘n Out
Kenny Dorham – Una Mas
Dexter Gordon – A Swingin’ Affair
Grant Green - Grant's First Stand
and I would cheat and throw in Larry Young - Into Somethin' because it doesn't count as part of the six since I already own it and has an insane lineup of my favorite drummer and favorite guitarist as well as one of my favorite sax players backing him up.
I dig the Glasper, haven’t listened to a whole lot of modern jazz, but it definitely was an enjoyable listen.

Though the people at this thread may be interested in this review of the new BN80. The guy compares Dexter Gordon's Doin all right to the MMJ pressing.

I feel like you and I are on a similar journey - it's hard to slow down when you're having so much fun!

Yessir I am a Philly man. Hadn't heard of that but it has the most hilarious name ever so I will be buying! Jawn is a very under rated word in general.
It's a great album. Christian McBride is a monster bassist. If he's not already on your radar, you should check out Jimmy Bruno (Philadelphia-based legendary guitarist) live some time.

Just started listening to Kingmaker after listening to Contours yesterday. They're like a study in contrasts: Contours has a sort of darker feel to it overall while Kingmaker starts out so light and airy with that really gorgeous vibraphone. I don't have the language to really understand/describe what's going on in these two albums but I really like them both for very different reasons.

It's a great album. Christian McBride is a monster bassist. If he's not already on your radar, you should check out Jimmy Bruno (Philadelphia-based legendary guitarist) live some time.

Not on my radar at all but will be now. I'm really at the first steps of my jazz education. I mean, I know the broad strokes and the big names but when it comes to moving past that, yeah, totally new. So Bruno's on my list now too, thanks!

$52 plus shipping for Shorter's Night Dreamer, Music Matters 45rpm.

I think I need to learn about Reverb. Not sure how useful for Australian customers but I've seen it mentioned a couple of times, this album is on my radar as something I want to get hold of in some form soon.

I think I need to learn about Reverb. Not sure how useful for Australian customers but I've seen it mentioned a couple of times, this album is on my radar as something I want to get hold of in some form soon.

Yep, shipping could be expensive if the seller ships internationally. And if not, I'd be glad to help facilitate.

They are a reputable business similar to Discogs where they host many sellers putting up their LPs. I've bought/sold on there for maybe a year or more. They have a seler feature that lets you sync your Discogs LPs for sale with Reverb. If one sells or is added on Discogs, it automatically updates on Reverb. And vice-versa if one sells or is added on Reverb. I find Discogs easier to search, so when I see something I want for sale on Reverb, I head over to Discogs and look for that seller to search out what else they have, then go back to Reverb to buy it. Especially on this 20% off sale - which they have a handful of times each year.

Yep, shipping could be expensive if the seller ships internationally. And if not, I'd be glad to help facilitate.

They are a reputable business similar to Discogs where they host many sellers putting up their LPs. I've bought/sold on there for maybe a year or more. They have a seler feature that lets you sync your Discogs LPs for sale with Reverb. If one sells or is added on Discogs, it automatically updates on Reverb. And vice-versa if one sells or is added on Reverb. I find Discogs easier to search, so when I see something I want for sale on Reverb, I head over to Discogs and look for that seller to search out what else they have, then go back to Reverb to buy it. Especially on this 20% off sale - which they have a handful of times each year.
Oh that's great info thank you, very cool that the hosting company can run a sale, presumably without impacting on the seller? Or perhaps I've misunderstood and the seller can agree to participate in the sale in return for greater promotion or something. Looks like a very promising platform. This seller does ship internationally but it's an additional $33, which is understandable and probably about cost but prohibitive. Thank you for both the tip and your kind offer of assistance @Doctor_of_Jazz, I will resist for now but have deeper exploration of Reverb :)

Oh that's great info thank you, very cool that the hosting company can run a sale, presumably without impacting on the seller? Or perhaps I've misunderstood and the seller can agree to participate in the sale in return for greater promotion or something. Looks like a very promising platform. This seller does ship internationally but it's an additional $33, which is understandable and probably about cost but prohibitive. Thank you for both the tip and your kind offer of assistance @Doctor_of_Jazz, I will resist for now but have deeper exploration of Reverb :)

Oddly enough, the seller is impacted by participating in the sale (completely voluntary). They agree to sell their LPs at 20% off for a limited time. Reverb takes 6% of the total sale, which is slightly better than Discogs, who take 8%. And the worst is eBay which takes 9.5% of the sale, including the shipping!

Glad you didn't double order. I've done this many times, but not with a more expensive LP (yet). ;)

Back