The Blue Note Thread

Picked up Herbie Hancocks Inventions & Dimensions recently (BN80) and have really been loving it. Definitely my favourite acquisition for this year so far. I love how the piano is so up front in the mix.

I almost bought it the other day, but decided to go with Kenny Dorham - Una Mas. Once again blown away by how good it sounds. I remember that I almost spent something like $80 on the MM, but I can't imagine it sounding any better than this version.

Imo, the BN80s and TPs are so close in quality (besides the jackets ofc) that I would just pick up whichever album you like more.

I agree, it's more worrying about what I might pay for them. Not really FOMO, but more Fear Of Paying More (FOPM? - you heard it here first )

I think the TP's some times come down in price a bit, but some have definitely got up. The same goes for the BN80's really. If I saw a good price for the TP's, I think I'd buy them, otherwise, I think I'll get the Jutta Hip & Herbie BN80's

I agree, it's more worrying about what I might pay for them. Not really FOMO, but more Fear Of Paying More (FOPM? - you heard it here first )

I think the TP's some times come down in price a bit, but some have definitely got up. The same goes for the BN80's really. If I saw a good price for the TP's, I think I'd buy them, otherwise, I think I'll get the Jutta Hip & Herbie BN80's
Just make sure you get the BN80 and not 75 of those albums. Also, keep an eye out on EBay. I see many of the Tone Poets and 80 series pop up at a pretty steep discount. I’ve seen Cornbread and HubTones quite a bit and actually bought Hub Tones recently for $17 free shipping.

Won a bunch of the deagostini classics on eBay today, hopefully they are of good enough quality to tide me over until Blue Note decide to re-issue some decent pressings, or I take a trip to America and pick up some MM's
Damn! I've been looking for that Wayne Shorter one! I really like my DeAgostini copies for the price.

Amazing pick ups right there! That Tina Brooks has been on my want list for ages now, cant believe they waited that long to release it. I bet the Japanese pressing sounds great!

Morgan's output in the late '50s was insane. He recorded with Hank Mobley's quintet for Savoy the day after recording Indeed!, and it was rebranded as a Morgan session before its release because they knew they would sell more from the up and coming youngster.
The Tina Brooks is awesome. I grabbed the MM on ebay for a decent price awhile back.

Amazon has a buy 3 for the price of 2 promo. This takes you to the main page, but you can filter on vinyl.

Several of the older Tone Poet releases in there and the Fania All Stars remaster.

6 Blue Note Tone Poet records are part of a 3 for 2 deal on Amazon.com (thanks @Kris for sharing):

Grant Green - Born to be Blue
Tina Brooks - Minor Move
Kenny Burrell - Introducing
"Baby Face" Willette - Face to Face
Joe Henderson - State of the Tenor Vol.2
Chick Corea - Now He Sings, Now He Sobs

Cheers for this @Skalap, even with additional shipping/import to the UK it makes them way cheaper than anywhere else. I picked up 2 of the same so I will sell one and make a bit of money back, making the other 2 even cheaper! Win Win

Out of interest has anyone heard anything in regards to the Blue Note Review Vol.3?

On the initial announcement for this years releases Blue Note did mention that "The 3rd edition of the Blue Note Review will focus on the legacy of the label in honor of the 80th anniversary". They also said that existing subscribers would hear 2-3 months prior to them shipping the volume. I was expecting them to have announced it by now as they mentioned it was a celebration of 80 years, at this rate it wont be shipped until after the anniversary.

Out of interest has anyone heard anything in regards to the Blue Note Review Vol.3?

On the initial announcement for this years releases Blue Note did mention that "The 3rd edition of the Blue Note Review will focus on the legacy of the label in honor of the 80th anniversary". They also said that existing subscribers would hear 2-3 months prior to them shipping the volume. I was expecting them to have announced it by now as they mentioned it was a celebration of 80 years, at this rate it wont be shipped until after the anniversary.
Haven't heard anything...and to be fair, they don't really stick to the whole anniversary thing. I think the 75th anniversary pressings came out for like 4 years or something haha.

how much is that with shipping to the EU and all that for 3 ?

Can't say for three to Germany. You can add the records to your cart and see how much it costs. I paid $21,23 on shipping and pre-paid $36,77 on import fees (I might be refunded of these fees in case my parcel goes through the customs without being checked). Even like this, it's ± 26€ for each records, which is 10/15€ less than purchasing here in France.

My guess is they are taking a wait-and-see approach to future volumes. Tone Poet series and 80th anniversary series are doing well, and they may not want to cut into their sales with an expensive product.

Can't say for three to Germany. You can add the records to your cart and see how much it costs. I paid $21,23 on shipping and pre-paid $36,77 on import fees (I might be refunded of these fees in case my parcel goes through the customs without being checked). Even like this, it's ± 26€ for each records, which is 10/15€ less than purchasing here in France.

Dodax.nl has been a friend with respect to tone poets. Managed to get all I've wanted for 26€-ish (free shipping)

Dodax.nl has been a friend with respect to tone poets. Managed to get all I've wanted for 26€-ish (free shipping)

Aaaaaaand thank you! 3 TP more to the collection and Robert Glasper's first album too!

For those interested :
Cassandra Wilson ‎– Glamoured 21,99€ !!!! Best price I've ever seen!
Lee Morgan ‎– Cornbread 21,99€
Robert Glasper ‎– Canvas 21,99€
Wayne Shorter - Etcetera (seems like Ipurchased the last copy, as it appears OOS now. Paid 24,91€!

Back