The Blue Note Thread

[/QUOTE]
Yeah, once you hear those older pr
Just bought "Search For The New Land" by Lee Morgan and "Judgment! "by Andrew Hill on MM from a facebook seller for $80 total, so hoping they arrive safely and in good condition! Two albums I have been looking for for quite a long time.
Damn, I am so incredibly jealous. Been trying to score a nice press of that Morgan album all year. Might just jump on the MM listing, but man the thought of $85 shipped is already killing me.

EDIT - these new taxes, at least here in Minnesota, on discogs are killing me too.

Damn, I am so incredible jealous. Been trying to score a nice press of that Morgan album all year. Might just jump on the MM listing, but man the thought of $85 shipped is already killing me.
Almost didn't message the guy because there were no prices listed and I figured the prices would be crazy but was pleasantly surprised that the prices were really good/fair. Sadly, a lot of other people got to the listing before I did so most of what he had available was gone.

And yea--I keep forgetting about taxes on ebay and discogs now and they add quite a bit to the prices especially on stuff like MM.

Last edited:
I'm a little perplex about the November Tone Poets. Throughout 2019 the BN-TP releases have been available for presale at LEAST a month - and sometimes longer - prior to the release date.

Mobley's Poppin' and Turrentine's Comin' Your Way aren't coming up anywhere for presale. And release date is Nov. 15.

Hmmm 🤔

I'm a little perplex about the November Tone Poets. Throughout 2019 the BN-TP releases have been available for presale at LEAST a month - and sometimes longer - prior to the release date.

Mobley's Poppin' and Turrentine's Comin' Your Way aren't coming up anywhere for presale. And release date is Nov. 15.

Hmmm 🤔
Whaaaaaaaaat. I have only seen the list that goes to October. Theres more this year???? Im officially excited.

Whaaaaaaaaat. I have only seen the list that goes to October. Theres more this year???? Im officially excited.
Here's what I've heard is on the way for BN-TP (so far):

November 15
Hank Mobley – Poppin’ (Blue Note, 1957)
Stanley Turrentine – Comin’ Your Way (Blue Note, 1961)

RUMORED 2019-20 TONE POET REISSUES (per Harley @Hoffman forum)
Jackie McLean - Demon Dance
Chet Baker - Chet Baker Sings

Bobby Hutcherson - The Kicker
Bobby Hutcherson - Oblique
Tina Brooks - The Waiting Game
Lee Morgan - The Cooker
Paul Chambers - Bass On Top (not confirmed)

Joe Henderson - State of the Tenor: Live at the Village Vanguard, Vol. 1
Ellington/Mingus/Roach - Money Jungle
Gerald Wilson - You Better Believe It!
Ornette Coleman - Love Call
Andrew Hill (more - but not confirmed)

Grant Green - Nigeria (Harley Insta)
Jackie McLean - It's Time

Last edited:
Here's what I've heard is on the way for BN-TP (so far):

November 15
Hank Mobley – Poppin’ (Blue Note, 1957)
Stanley Turrentine – Comin’ Your Way (Blue Note, 1961)

RUMORED 2019-20 TONE POET REISSUES
Jackie McLean - Demon Dance
Chet Baker - Chet Baker Sings
Bobby Hutcherson - The Kicker
Bobby Hutcherson - Oblique
Tina Brooks - The Waiting Game
Lee Morgan - The Cooker
Paul Chambers - Bass On Top (not confirmed)
Joe Henderson - State of the Tenor: Live at the Village Vanguard, Vol. 1
Ellington/Mingus/Roach - Money Jungle
Gerald Wilson - You Better Believe It!
Ornette Coleman - Love Call
Andrew Hill (more - but not confirmed)
Grant Green - Nigeria
Jackie McLean - It's Time

Oh sweet lord I knew there was more coming but I didnt realise it would be this soon. So many good ones on your list. I havent got any of them apart from The Cooker. Need to prep my wallet I think :ROFLMAO: Cheers @stpaulbrowns!

Hmmm 🤔
There was some issue with the photos that has caused a delay. They were even recently deleted from the 2019 Tone Poet list on Blue Note's site.

Hmmm 🤔
If I’m not mistaken, those aren’t coming out until January now and there will be no more Tone Poets coming out the rest of the year.

Edit: I have absolutely no idea where I read that info either and can not find it now. Maybe I dreamed it? I do hope both titles see a release here shortly though.

Last edited:

Quite a few Tone Poets are buy 2 get 1 free at target right now if anybody in the US is looking for a few. I ordered Clubhouse, Born to be Blue and Minor Move. Have gotten two of the three so far and all came in good shape in good packaging.

If I’m not mistaken, those aren’t coming out until January now and there will be no more Tone Poets coming out the rest of the year.

Edit: I have absolutely no idea where I read that info either and can not find it now. Maybe I dreamed it? I do hope both titles see a release here shortly though.
http://www.bluenote.com/blue-note-presents-the-tone-poet-audiophile-vinyl-reissue-series/

This is the list I was looking at and it 'ran out' in October. The page is from January though so I wouldnt be surprised if its just outdated

http://www.bluenote.com/blue-note-presents-the-tone-poet-audiophile-vinyl-reissue-series/

This is the list I was looking at and it 'ran out' in October. The page is from January though so I wouldnt be surprised if its just outdated
Nov. 15 here:

A couple of Japanese pressings rolled in today
Lee Morgan's Indeed - his first recording as a band leader in 1957, this is a Toshiba pressing from 1990
103d26da-ab02-438f-812e-e6353d2d6c7d.jpg

And Tina Brooks' Back to the Tracks - recorded in 1960 and then it sat in the vaults. Was part of the Mosaic boxset in 1985. This is a Japanese promo copy (2nd pic has Not For Sale printed on the back) from 1990. It was sent out to retailers and reviewers and then withdrawn for some reason. I think it was officially released on vinyl in 1999.
0dd05e13-f753-4206-b452-3c465134ef7e.jpg
300b9ad5-a044-45e2-87d5-b3a627830883.jpg

A couple of Japanese pressings rolled in today
Lee Morgan's Indeed - his first recording as a band leader in 1957, this is a Toshiba pressing from 1990
View attachment 20958

And Tina Brooks' Back to the Tracks - recorded in 1960 and then it sat in the vaults. Was part of the Mosaic boxset in 1985. This is a Japanese promo copy (2nd pic has Not For Sale printed on the back) from 1990. It was sent out to retailers and reviewers and then withdrawn for some reason. I think it was officially released on vinyl in 1999.
View attachment 20960
View attachment 20961
Amazing pick ups right there! That Tina Brooks has been on my want list for ages now, cant believe they waited that long to release it. I bet the Japanese pressing sounds great!

Morgan's output in the late '50s was insane. He recorded with Hank Mobley's quintet for Savoy the day after recording Indeed!, and it was rebranded as a Morgan session before its release because they knew they would sell more from the up and coming youngster.

I think Joe said on a FB group I'm in that it's because of the photos that they delayed these until the 2020 Tone Poet run, but also there is a guy on the Hoffman thread that says the same.

Back