The Blue Note Thread

This is my number two.
Etcetera started my Shorter obsession earlier this year, and I think it’s an incredible album in its own right.
“Barracudas” is such a badass track.
Love how his solo just builds in that one, with some great payoffs.

Man that's a great photo. I gotta get some of those BN books that look at the album covers and photography.
Been meaning to grab that Uncompromising Expression book, seem a few in good used condition for around $20.

Need more titles though.

Have you got Contours ?
I do and I don’t mean to leave anything out (there’s a reason I’m spending so much lonely on the releases). They’re all fantastic.

What I will say about Contours is that it is the record that made me really explore what makes certain overplaying so enthralling. There’s so much more to it that just playing around with scales and modes which I attributed good playing with when I was playing myself.

Caught up on the Hoffman Tone Poet thread again. A user there is claiming that not only has Joe definitely left the thread for good, but due to the backlash they unleashed there over the Andrew Hill Tone Poet, there will be no more Hill titles reissued for the series as had been previously planned. He claims to have insider knowledge about this.

All I can say is, I'm only surprised that Hoffman's took so long to burn that bridge and that they did it so thoroughly.

Caught up on the Hoffman Tone Poet thread again. A user there is claiming that not only has Joe definitely left the thread for good, but due to the backlash they unleashed there over the Andrew Hill Tone Poet, there will be no more Hill titles reissued for the series as had been previously planned. He claims to have insider knowledge about this.

All I can say is, I'm only surprised that Hoffman's took so long to burn that bridge and that they did it so thoroughly.
Well that sucks. Andrew Hill is an all-timer

This is why we can't have nice things.

Sorry if this is common knowledge - what happened with the Andrew Hill?

And yeah - agree re: the negativity that permeates that place.

Sorry if this is common knowledge - what happened with the Andrew Hill?

And yeah - agree re: the negativity that permeates that place.
I haven't listened to mine yet, but there apparently is one section where the piano sounds out of tune for a bit I guess. Hoffman users started saying they believe this is a mastering or pressing issue and Joe said it was present on the master tape and that the piano was just out of tune. Hoffman users would not let it go and the amateur sound recording detectives there are convinced that they are right and Joe is wrong.

I haven't listened to mine yet, but there apparently is one section where the piano sounds out of tune for a bit I guess. Hoffman users started saying they believe this is a mastering or pressing issue and Joe said it was present on the master tape and that the piano was just out of tune. Hoffman users would not let it go and the amateur sound recording detectives there are convinced that they are right and Joe is wrong.
🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️
1565317461482.png

I'm not particularly fine tuned myself to these things, but I didn't notice much wrong with my pressing...

Does anyone have a suggestion for a decent pressing of Art Blakey's Moanin' that is somewhat affordable?
I'd look at either Japanese pressings or various 60's-70's represses that still have an RVG/Van Gelder stamp. I bought what was labeled as a Liberty reissue on discogs and it ended up actually being an OG Blue Note copy!

Does anyone have a suggestion for a decent pressing of Art Blakey's Moanin' that is somewhat affordable?
Definitely agree with johnpisme. Also would add looking at the Japanese King pressing (1977-78). I have one and I think it is absolutely great. Mine is a NM- (literally looks like it’s never been played) and I paid $60 including shipping from Japan.

You can find good prices on those King presses but it’s the $15 shipping that pushes it up. If you can find a good Japanese pressing state side, get it. That’s the best way. It’s just not always an option.

Back