The Blue Note Thread

Am I being a complete ass
You are.

if I say covering your fingernail in acid and running it through the grooves should fix that right up for you? Maybe give the headphones a run through your ultrasonic cleaner as well.
Be helpful. Use of Last All Purpose Cleaner followed by the Last treatment WILL help.

And, smarty pants, demagnetizing the cables is not a bad thing to do once in awhile. Most test records have demag tracks for exactly that purpose.

Excited to hear this new Chet Baker tone poet, seems like it gets released tmm with Amazon delivery. Not taking any chances not preordering this one considering the wait people have been enduring for Chet Baker Sings.

Ugh is the skipping on Picture of Heath side B widespread or was it just some copies?

My first copy has the issue, already returned it and ordered a copy but hoping it's not a thing with my tone arm / tracking force combination that will happen on all copies :(

Ugh is the skipping on Picture of Heath side B widespread or was it just some copies?

My first copy has the issue, already returned it and ordered a copy but hoping it's not a thing with my tone arm / tracking force combination that will happen on all copies :(
Yes, it a widespread issue. BN made a statement about it and said something like, " it's not a pressing defect, it's mastered hot, increase your tracking force." Basically some bullshit excuse.

Yes, it a widespread issue. BN made a statement about it and said something like, " it's not a pressing defect, it's mastered hot, increase your tracking force." Basically some bullshit excuse.
🙄
Well then it’s a mastering issue that KG should have been able to fix. Hey @MikeH i need you to go to the basement….

Damn, hoping my next copy makes it. I don't think I'll keep the album if I can't get one that doesn't skip.
Though I think the BN response is BS in that they should maybe have recalled the album or caught the issue before pressing it, I think they're correct in that these aren't "pressing defects" where some copies have the issue and others don't. It's the cut: Some turntables can track it well and others can't. As much as I typically love KG's cuts, I think this issue falls squarely on his shoulders.

But if you're having trouble tracking one copy, I wouldn't expect another to track much better. I made some very minor adjustments to my anti-skating and tracking force (added maybe .10 or .15 grams) and it did actually help. Now it sounds more like what MikeH describes but it no longer actually skips. I've left my setup untouched since then, and in the end, as much as I hate to admit it, I think it may actually sound better.

Still, there is an audible issue, and with an issue this widespread, it seems like BN should have been a little more apologetic and accomodating than they were in telling their customers it was their issue and not an issue with this press.

Last edited:
My POH played fine here.
Also the same scenario with the Relaxin one step played fine on a cheaper Denon box store table.

I don't think it's fair to blame the mastering engineer for giving us a near tape experience. It's the right thing to do.

However in both releases above, I can't say there are not any pressing defects from RTI causing issues with skipping. This has never really been validated in my reading.

Also, it's kind of odd how certain turntable mfgs have designed the most silly anti skate adjustments into their tables. Seems like people should question this more IMO, especially considering this feature is fairly critical.

Damn, hoping my next copy makes it. I don't think I'll keep the album if I can't get one that doesn't skip.

second copy skips as well at the same place - for me it's the very last track on side B about halfway in. Slightly disappointing but my TF is set up as per guidelines and I don't want to mess with it just for one record to play through. These Tone Poets are too expensive to not be perfect so I'm going to return mine for a refund.

BNC of Empyrean Isles is badass.
I almost felt guilty for getting this quality of a classic for $25.

BN could have turned this into a cash cow at $100 a copy marketing scheme.
Been saving it! Currently spinning Dizzy Reece - Star Bright. Honestly, they're all so damn good. My local knows at $25 a pop I'm liable to buy 'em all - they always give me a heads up when the next month's are arriving! 😂

I’ve been gassing out on jazz recently, particularly with Blue Note. Over the last week I’ve streamed

Blue Spirits
Slow Drag
Sonny Clark Trio
A Caddy got Daddy
Infinity
The Right Touch
Let Em Roll
Demons Dance
Easterly Winds
Extensions
I Want To Hold Your Hand

And I can’t say anything felt like a must buy, like it’s good stuff but it’s bordering just hoarding jazz albums to get even a portion of those it feels like.

I’ve been gassing out on jazz recently, particularly with Blue Note. Over the last week I’ve streamed

Blue Spirits
Slow Drag
Sonny Clark Trio
A Caddy got Daddy
Infinity
The Right Touch
Let Em Roll
Demons Dance
Easterly Winds
Extensions
I Want To Hold Your Hand

And I can’t say anything felt like a must buy, like it’s good stuff but it’s bordering just hoarding jazz albums to get even a portion of those it feels like.
I’ve been feeling the same way, but I’m pumped for these “new” OJCs.

Blue Spirits
Slow Drag
Sonny Clark Trio
A Caddy got Daddy
Infinity
The Right Touch
Let Em Roll
Demons Dance
Easterly Winds
Extensions
I Want To Hold Your Hand

I have a new deal with myself, I only get to buy a new jazz album if I sell one. Fair amount just siting around on my shelf gathering dust after having been listened to once or twice in the first month after buying them. Most of them are really good, but just don't get put on the spinner often enough.

Back