The Blue Note Thread

Just more like a boring Friday night.

I guess BG did some of the 80 series, but those were from digital. Way before, for Classic Records, he did quite a substantial set of titles from the original mono analog tapes. I have many of them.
He did some 75 series releases.
I think Gray has mastered all the 80 series so far, which is why it was a surprise to me for BG to be on one.

He did some 75 series releases.
I think Gray has mastered all the 80 series so far, which is why it was a surprise to me for BG to be on one.
This is a Zev Feldman discovery that was likely digitally restored by Grundman, who is Zev's most go-to guy for this. BG has better digital, so that makes sense. Zev shopped the tape around and it landed at BN. So not an 80 series at all. But any Elvin is good Elvin.

This is a Zev Feldman discovery that was likely digitally restored by Grundman, who is Zev's most go-to guy for this. BG has better digital, so that makes sense. Zev shopped the tape around and it landed at BN. So not an 80 series at all. But any Elvin is good Elvin.
Yeah realized that earlier but there is an inquiry into the source of the release.

Last edited:
Yea--that's around what I pay from Udiscover when they have their big sales. They'll probably have another huge sale around Black Friday.
I don't think I will order from them again after Blue Train ships.
Terrible customer service.

Returned an item 8/19, which I requested to cancel 5 mins after order. It should have never shipped.

Can't get an answer on my refund. They seem a little dodgy in my short experience. There's no ph# and emails are very elusive.

I don't think I will order from them again after Blue Train ships.
Terrible customer service.

Returned an item 8/19, which I requested to cancel 5 mins after order. It should have never shipped.

Can't get an answer on my refund. They seem a little dodgy in my short experience. There's no ph# and emails are very elusive.
Shame you had a bad experience. I've gotten 30+ tone poets + BN classics from them without issue all for great prices. I've never paid close to full price for any of them. I have had one or two damaged items and got replacements pretty easily. I can see cancellations not working easily there though...the website isn't really set up for that. When they have sales though it's really tough to beat in a lot of cases, not just for TPs.

Hardly anybody has phone numbers for CS anymore. And I don't blame them. people can be truly awful and entitled when something doesn't go their way. I'd hate to work CS in any online record selling business.

My copy is slightly warped.
The sound is excellent so will not worry about it.

Nice TP added to the collection.🎵🎷
it's one of the TPs that I went into pretty blind and hadn't heard it and really enjoy it. this one and chick corea TP are the two that have been the biggest surprises to me in the series.

it's one of the TPs that I went into pretty blind and hadn't heard it and really enjoy it. this one and chick corea TP are the two that have been the biggest surprises to me in the series.
I missed that one.
May grab it on a repress.

My tone poet collection is still fairly small. Mainly RVG with some sprinkle of Pacific jazz now.
I've been grabbing mostly BNCs when those drop in price.

Screenshot_20220916_215134_Chrome.jpg

I missed that one.
May grab it on a repress.

My tone poet collection is still fairly small. Mainly RVG with some sprinkle of Pacific jazz now.
I've been grabbing mostly BNCs when those drop in price.

View attachment 151603
Born to be Blue by Grant Green is on the presses at RTI at the moment and that one's worth getting. Chick Corea just got repressed recently so not sure if/when that will be back. I think the quality overall on the TPs are much better on vinyl + sleeves. The BNC are great to buy on a whim since you can get most of them for $15. I'm much more likely to buy the BNCs blind but every once in awhile I get a TP for cheap without listening to it beforehand.

Born to be Blue by Grant Green is on the presses at RTI at the moment and that one's worth getting. Chick Corea just got repressed recently so not sure if/when that will be back. I think the quality overall on the TPs are much better on vinyl + sleeves. The BNC are great to buy on a whim since you can get most of them for $15. I'm much more likely to buy the BNCs blind but every once in awhile I get a TP for cheap without listening to it beforehand.
Oh there are several BNCs in my collection that rival a tone poet in vinyl SQ. I don't see the gap in any significance. RTI is normally a nicer press but just from listening it's not a big difference to me.

Oh there are several BNCs in my collection that rival a tone poet in vinyl SQ. I don't see the gap in any significance. RTI is normally a nicer press but just from listening it's not a big difference to me.
Just the overall QC is better and the jacket is definitely MUCH nicer on the TPs. Sound quality, not too different given the same people worked on them from AAA sources. I think people have largely had more issues with the BNCs. Both are great value though especially on sale.

where's the best place to get these now that amazon is 38.99 - I like amazon because so many are warped and easy returns, but its nearly a 50% increase from last year...

target, Walmart??

where's the best place to get these now that amazon is 38.99 - I like amazon because so many are warped and easy returns, but its nearly a 50% increase from last year...

target, Walmart??
To get what? BN Classic and tone poets?

Udiscover has the best sales. Usually up to 40% off (they should have a Black Friday sale). Generally have 15-20% off coupon codes at all other times. But customer service isn’t great if you have issues supposedly. If you don’t mind waiting, Amazon usually drops prices over time or has deals. Gerald wilson is currently $24 on Amazon. Breaking point is $28, etc. if you wait a bit they tend to drop in price on Amazon. New releases are usually full price everywhere aside from udiscover

I don't think @Jbraswell meant for this to become a thing, but what the heck:

My tone poets:
bntp.JPG

My classics (plus a random Fogerty record):
bnc.JPG

All my blue notes, plus ten random records:
bnapt1.JPGbnapt2.JPG

I have not verified that everything in the first two is in the second two, but the second two say I have 62 blue notes in total (after I subtract 10 for the random records)

Back