The Blue Note Thread

I don't really want to get into the middle of this. In fact, what I appreciate most about the N&G forum is its kind, supportive and (mostly) positive vibes.

That said, how about if you don't like the YouTube dude, just don't watch?

Or create a thread specifically devoted to debating the +/- of jazz reviewers?

I'm ready to get back to regularly scheduled Blue Note/Tone Poet/Classics convo.

The thing I like most about N&G is that you can voice your opinions without the normal backlash just because people don’t agree with you.

I don’t mind digressions in threads. It’s more interesting that way.

Let’s talk about Blue Trane. Why do people get so excited about it? What about the music and playing is worth the hype. With Somethin’ Else I can point to 5 or 6 phrases by Adderley that make the album worth the hype.

The thing I like most about N&G is that you can voice your opinions without the normal backlash just because people don’t agree with you.

Let’s talk about Blue Trane. Why do people get so excited about it? What about the music and playing is worth the hype. With Somethin’ Else I can point to 5 or 6 phrases by Adderley that make the album worth the hype.
I'm actually spinning it now - the title track is one of my all time favorite jazz songs. Just a killer lineup on this album, and it seems like all the players are at the top of their game.

6063FFB7-0D9A-4E95-BC51-4B2C05AD7B97.jpeg

Has anyone picked up the first flight to Tokyo? Is that one worth picking up?
Yes, not essential, but very good playing, Blakey swings as always, and a nice listen. Mastered well by Grundman, pressed at Optimal. Got it through the Paladin Buyers Club so a great deal.

You can preview the entire albums with introduction from Art's son here:

Last edited:

Blue Train is an undeniable classic. The title track, opening with the night calls before the train gets rolling, is a visceral classic riff, Lee's solo is pure magic. Moment's Notice has become a standard.

IMO Side B is not as iconic. There, the session reveals itself to be a very good pickup session by great players. Very enjoyable, but not earth shattering.

The mythology around Blue Train may not have grown so strong had it not been Coltrane's sole BN session and his only pairing with Morgan, or a three horn front line. It is the peak of 50's Coltrane, and for many, the point they get off the train (bad pun) as shifting into Africa/Brass, Vanguard, or even Coltrane s/t was too far to go, excepting the interlude of Ballads.

Also, back in the vinyl era, Blue Train came quickly to be eclipsed by the rapid evolution of Coltrane's music - in the early 60's, Giant Steps was the massive innovation and must have, My Favorite Things a bit less so.

The title track, opening with the night calls before the train gets rolling, is a visceral classic riff, Lee's solo is pure magic.

Yea that five note riff over a 12 bar blues is pretty impressive in the way it paints a picture and creates a mood. Trane’s entry is classic Trane also. Started right in with high intensity. Morgan is great on the track also. But I feel you with the fall off. They are great players, but the latter half just feels uninspired.

I listened to Somethin' Else yesterday. It is probably in my top 3 favorite jazz alvums, because Adderley just breaks out. Incredible album. The BN Classics also sounds exceptional.

But I feel you with the fall off. They are great players, but the latter half just feels uninspired.
LOL, I was trying to be polite about it, but the second side doesn't get a lot of groove wear. Pretty standard 50's hard bop.

Like I said earlier, IMO Blue Train is iconic, a true classic, and a great record.

But also, it has become the defacto choice for those who can't get past the 50's hard bop thru to the full expression of Coltrane's genius.

It is notable that among tenor players, for 50 years now Giant Steps has been a challenge every tenor must step up to. Not Blue Train. Almost 50 years since I first heard Giant Steps, I still play it.

LOL, I was trying to be polite about it, but the second side doesn't get a lot of groove wear. Pretty standard 50's hard bop.

Like I said earlier, IMO Blue Train is iconic, a true classic, and a great record.

But also, it has become the defacto choice for those who can't get past the 50's hard bop thru to the full expression of Coltrane's genius.

It is notable that among tenor players, for 50 years now Giant Steps has been a challenge every tenor must step up to. Not Blue Train. Almost 50 years since I first heard Giant Steps, I still play it.
Blue Train falls among my least played Coltranes. I still like it but not my go-to.

This is a very cool video about Giant Steps. I enjoy this series from Vox:

With the Blue Train Tone Poet, anybody else think we might get a Blue Train Coltrane box set? Blue Train + the sessions where he was a sideman? Whims of Chambers, Blowing Session, Sonny's Crib, etc?
Funny, I saw someone else over on Facebook post this idea as well and I think you might be on the money. We know it's something special which implies it's more than just the album. I don't think there are that many outtakes, and I can't imagine they would include them either. So then there's a box set which would be quite nice when considering there weren't that many sessions he featured on. There's a CD release that collates these sessions but it would be cool to have a TP quality of each.

Last edited:
Funny, I saw someone else over on Facebook post this idea as well and I think you might be on the money. We know it's something special which implies it's more than just the album. I don't think there are that many outtakes, and I can't imagine they would include them either. So then there's a box set which would be quite nice when considering there weren't that many sessions he featured on. There's a CD release that collates these sessions but it would be cool to have a TP quality of each.

IDK sales wise it would make sense to release a box set first to stoke fomo, and then release a single album for the people who just want the album.

IDK sales wise it would make sense to release a box set first to stoke fomo, and then release a single album for the people who just want the album.
Yeah, that's what I meant, that the releases within the set would be Tone Poet quality. Unless I'm mistaken they never actually said that Blue Train is coming as a single release, so the box set idea seems like a possibility, especially seeing as they have already done the same with Ornette.

Yeah, that's what I meant, that the releases within the set would be Tone Poet quality. Unless I'm mistaken they never actually said that Blue Train is coming as a single release, so the box set idea seems like a possibility, especially seeing as they have already done the same with Ornette.

I just watched the video last night, seems to make sense to me now. I got the impression doing the box set isn't Joe's favourite thing as it delays the Tone Poets so much, but also didn't talk about Round Trip as if that was the only one. He wasn't sure when Blue Train was going to happen, 'hopefully this year'. Which all makes me think it's a box set & he hasn't a clue how long it will take them to manufacture it.

I suspect it's a title they could end up doing as a classic release & as part of a Tone Poet box set.

I'd love that. It would be an instant purchase for me. I just got the Ornette box and it's really fantastic. I got it for a VERY good price though ($160 shipped). Joe did say that all the pressed copies are out in the world now.

I just watched the video last night, seems to make sense to me now. I got the impression doing the box set isn't Joe's favourite thing as it delays the Tone Poets so much, but also didn't talk about Round Trip as if that was the only one. He wasn't sure when Blue Train was going to happen, 'hopefully this year'. Which all makes me think it's a box set & he hasn't a clue how long it will take them to manufacture it.

I suspect it's a title they could end up doing as a classic release & as part of a Tone Poet box set.
Im 20mins in and will watch the rest tomorrow, but the highlight so far personally has been that they are "definitely going to go into a few of those" albums from Transition.

Transition is a fantastic label and notoriously hard to find in any condition nowadays (with mad pricing as well!). Those which are found are typically without the booklets or label - again, they are notorious for using a poor adhesive which leads to the labels falling off. They weren't repressed that often either. I have Japanese pressings of "Donald Byrd - Byrd Blows On Beacon Hill" and "Donald Byrd - Byrd Jazz" which I had to import from Japan.

In addition to those I mentioned (which I imagine would be prime choices), there are also albums from Cecil Taylor, Doug Watkins, Sun Ra, Lucky Thompson.....

Im 20mins in and will watch the rest tomorrow, but the highlight so far personally has been that they are "definitely going to go into a few of those" albums from Transition.

Transition is a fantastic label and notoriously hard to find in any condition nowadays (with mad pricing as well!). Those which are found are typically without the booklets or label - again, they are notorious for using a poor adhesive which leads to the labels falling off. They weren't repressed that often either. I have Japanese pressings of "Donald Byrd - Byrd Blows On Beacon Hill" and "Donald Byrd - Byrd Jazz" which I had to import from Japan.

In addition to those I mentioned (which I imagine would be prime choices), there are also albums from Cecil Taylor, Doug Watkins, Sun Ra, Lucky Thompson.....
Joe had said in the past they were going to do some titles from Transition so I've been very excited about those ever since. I've held off on getting a copy of Byrd Blows. I have the Classic pressing of Watkins At Large but there are some others I'd love too. it's a shame it has been so ignored in the past but now we can have some quality pressings to look forward to!

Back