The Blue Note Thread

You might have scrolled right past it. ;) My two cents are a few pages back. Interestingly enough, I got another Monk album in the mail today, Monk's Moods, and compared to that Prestige box, it was quite disappointing.
That’s good to hear! Those trio recordings are probably the best of the prestige recordings imo. I think I have the Sonny Rollins record but it’s named something different. It’s a blue label 60’s press and might be stereo. It’s called The Genius of Thelonious Monk. Never particularly liked the sound of it.

Listening to Stepping Into Tomorrow, one of if not my favorite VMP jazz exclusives. I love the blend of jazz, funk, and vocals. Anything similar from the era by Blue Note that I should look at?
There was a recommend post somewhere back in this thread for similar work...I'll see if I can find it. But outside of Blue Note, check out some of Herbie Hancock's albums from the same era. Man-Child is a dope record and of course Head Hunters. Some of Byrd's other albums in that time period, like Places and Spaces, are a similar vibe too. Check out Sunburst by Eddie Henderson and listen to some George Duke if you wanna check out the OG Thundercat (Thundercat himself lists Duke as one of his favorite and most influential artists on his own work).

one million dollars
tenor.gif

EDIT - Damn, can’t get the Dr. Evil gif to work. :(

Last edited:
I've pretty much decided at this point to pre-order any Tone Poet popping up on Amazon as they all seem to drop to around $27 at some point in the pre-order period (though I have Cornbread locked in at $22) Today I listened to Baby Face Willette for the first time, damn is that a good album! Looking forward to it for sure.

Well if you got the VMP Blue Note, we’re getting a free Wayne Shorter replacement because of some issue with the labels. They were able to replace some of them but some still shipped messed up so they are sending a replacement regardless of if you got the corrected version or not. Yay I guess

I've pretty much decided at this point to pre-order any Tone Poet popping up on Amazon as they all seem to drop to around $27 at some point in the pre-order period (though I have Cornbread locked in at $22) Today I listened to Baby Face Willette for the first time, damn is that a good album! Looking forward to it for sure.
Just came here to post about Baby Face Willette dropping to $27 and some change!

Just came here to post about Baby Face Willette dropping to $27 and some change!
Ben Ratliff had a great write up on this album in his "100 most important recordings book," made me rethink purchasing this. I can post the write up when I get home but I like how it approached the idea of organ focused jazz in general

Ben Ratliff had a great write up on this album in his "100 most important recordings book," made me rethink purchasing this. I can post the write up when I get home but I like how it approached the idea of organ focused jazz in general
Please do! I’m interested.

Well if you got the VMP Blue Note, we’re getting a free Wayne Shorter replacement because of some issue with the labels. They were able to replace some of them but some still shipped messed up so they are sending a replacement regardless of if you got the corrected version or not. Yay I guess
I asked on the VMP subreddit if it will come with the jacket, they said they are not sure yet. Could just be the vinyl replacement. Honestly, that would make the most sense from a VMP point of view. In fact, they should ship it in the replacement Dexter jacket. Two birds, one stone. ;)

Back