The 2023 Record Store Day Help Thread For Those Mourning Taylor Swift's Breakup

Did you or @gafacaode pick up the Jerry Harrison solo reissue? I was unfamiliar but was very impressed and picked it up sounds a lot like a Talking Heads album as you’d suspect but that is never a bad thing. I haven’t had a chance to spin it yet but it’s the RSD discovery I was most excited for. Figure you diehard Talking Heads guys are probably familiar already but if not. It’s worth seeking out.
I somehow was not familiar with it either, but my buddy said it is very reminiscent of Remain in Light. He was very right - so glad to have picked it up! That and The Catherine Wheel (Byrne) soundtrack were the two unfamiliar albums I was most excited about picking up.

Did you or @gafacaode pick up the Jerry Harrison solo reissue? I was unfamiliar but was very impressed and picked it up sounds a lot like a Talking Heads album as you’d suspect but that is never a bad thing. I haven’t had a chance to spin it yet but it’s the RSD discovery I was most excited for. Figure you diehard Talking Heads guys are probably familiar already but if not. It’s worth seeking out.
Got it!
And the Tom Tom Club expanded edition
On an unrelated TH note:
Could not get a copy of The Donnas...

I somehow was not familiar with it either, but my buddy said it is very reminiscent of Remain in Light. He was very right - so glad to have picked it up! That and The Catherine Wheel (Byrne) soundtrack were the two unfamiliar albums I was most excited about picking up.
Yeah, with the expanded Tom Tom Club release too, this RSD was very heavy on TH’s adjacent titles.

Got it!
And the Tom Tom Club expanded edition
On an unrelated TH note:
Could not get a copy of The Donnas...
I was looking all over for extra copies once I realized other people were looking for it too and man, that one barely made it to most people’s leftovers. I wonder what the deal with that was, aside from just more bodies in stores.

People grift about it, but it's honestly a great thing for a lot of smaller shops. One small local near me has been open about a year and a half, and this was their first RSD. They (it's one guy) mostly specialize in heavy metal/rock, and it's a very small shop (maybe 200 sq ft of actual space for shopping).

He had 200 people lined up before he opened, and it was mobbed all day long. I stopped by at around 12 to see how he was doing/support the shop, and he was so overwhelmed, but in a good way. He said they were just about breaking even on the RSD stuff by that point, but his non-RSD sales were off the chart. Just the exposure for the shop alone was a huge deal, they had people traveling from 50-100 miles away just for Taylor and some other big releases (mind you this is northern NJ, so its not rural at all). I love to see shops like that get in the game and really benefit from the whole idea behind RSD.
Was that Vinyl Addiction by chance? Matches the description. I was there around noon as well, just discovered it looking for a decent RSD alternative to some other places I've been that has been price gauging the last couple years. Super cool owner, and if so glad they had a good day. I'll be back.

I’m a little surprised that MMW has been so hard to get, especially bc it’s an “RSD First,” but if anyone sees one, please let me know.

If “RSD First” is accurate and it’s repressed (no guarantee of that), I’ll be fine picking it up when the next press comes out if I can’t find the RSD release, but RSD is already a confirmed good pressing, and that’s worth something to me even though Real Gone has been reliably consistent.

> No one is selling the live Adverts

> No one is looking for the live Adverts

> No one has even made a Discogs for the live Adverts

I’m a little surprised that MMW has been so hard to get, especially bc it’s an “RSD First,” but if anyone sees one, please let me know.

If “RSD First” is accurate and it’s repressed (no guarantee of that), I’ll be fine picking it up when the next press comes out if I can’t find the RSD release, but RSD is already a confirmed good pressing, and that’s worth something to me even though Real Gone has been reliably consistent.

7pm pst

Spinster records still had it listed online for $130.

Hey! I really appreciate the heads-up on this, Russ
Spinster records still had it listed online for $130.

Thanks for this heads-up!

Russ I replied to my post trying to locate this on the main RSD 2023 thread.

I was able to snag this thanks to you!

🍻

Was that Vinyl Addiction by chance? Matches the description. I was there around noon as well, just discovered it looking for a decent RSD alternative to some other places I've been that has been price gauging the last couple years. Super cool owner, and if so glad they had a good day. I'll be back.
Yes, it is! Dave is awesome, was so happy he had a great day. He’s a great chat if you’re ever in there and it’s pretty empty. He’s been great to me since it opened, granted I’ve given him a lot of money 🤣 but it’s right up the corner and he gets in good stuff that’s rarely picked over.

Back