The 2023 Record Store Day Help Thread For Those Mourning Taylor Swift's Breakup

Bad news, looks like TSwift sold out before I got here. Pretty wild.
View attachment 172837

They had 420 copies yesterday and by the end of the day yesterday they had people traveling from hours away to pick up a copy. The last album they sold before closing yesterday was Swift. He said when they opened up this morning they only had 3 copies remaining and a line of a dozen people waiting at the door to purchase it. Sorry I guess I assumed they would have more.

Unrelated side note: sounds like there are still some copies of the Grateful Dead box set available through distributors so they will likely be getting a few more copies of that and I would assum Plaid Room and the likes might get more as a result too.
I watched a video by Spin Me Round in Easton, PA this morning showing their leftovers. They got in 320 Taylors, they had three left this morning, one was damaged, so they aren't selling it. I bet they went in a millisecond this am when they finally put it online.

View attachment 172837

okay-okay-how-you-know.gif

Never doubting the Swifties again. To move that many records, even assuming flippers were involved, of an alternate version of an album is just absurd.
People grift about it, but it's honestly a great thing for a lot of smaller shops. One small local near me has been open about a year and a half, and this was their first RSD. They (it's one guy) mostly specialize in heavy metal/rock, and it's a very small shop (maybe 200 sq ft of actual space for shopping).

He had 200 people lined up before he opened, and it was mobbed all day long. I stopped by at around 12 to see how he was doing/support the shop, and he was so overwhelmed, but in a good way. He said they were just about breaking even on the RSD stuff by that point, but his non-RSD sales were off the chart. Just the exposure for the shop alone was a huge deal, they had people traveling from 50-100 miles away just for Taylor and some other big releases (mind you this is northern NJ, so its not rural at all). I love to see shops like that get in the game and really benefit from the whole idea behind RSD.

View attachment 172837

They had 420 copies yesterday and by the end of the day yesterday they had people traveling from hours away to pick up a copy. The last album they sold before closing yesterday was Swift. He said when they opened up this morning they only had 3 copies remaining and a line of a dozen people waiting at the door to purchase it. Sorry I guess I assumed they would have more.

Unrelated side note: sounds like there are still some copies of the Grateful Dead box set available through distributors so they will likely be getting a few more copies of that and I would assum Plaid Room and the likes might get more as a result too.
Thanks for checking!

People grift about it, but it's honestly a great thing for a lot of smaller shops. One small local near me has been open about a year and a half, and this was their first RSD. They (it's one guy) mostly specialize in heavy metal/rock, and it's a very small shop (maybe 200 sq ft of actual space for shopping).

He had 200 people lined up before he opened, and it was mobbed all day long. I stopped by at around 12 to see how he was doing/support the shop, and he was so overwhelmed, but in a good way. He said they were just about breaking even on the RSD stuff by that point, but his non-RSD sales were off the chart. Just the exposure for the shop alone was a huge deal, they had people traveling from 50-100 miles away just for Taylor and some other big releases (mind you this is northern NJ, so its not rural at all). I love to see shops like that get in the game and really benefit from the whole idea behind RSD.

The lines I saw suggest this is exactly right. The experience suggests this was a tide that lifted all ships.

Yeah, Hi-Voltage isn’t hurting for business but he was positively giddy with the sales numbers. TSwift was a giant part of it but they sold a lot of everything.

Damn was a bit too slow for the Super Skunk, but they did have a Scott Weiland, so win some - lose some... Thanks for the lead!

Damn was a bit too slow for the Super Skunk, but they did have a Scott Weiland, so win some - lose some... Thanks for the lead!
Did you or @gafacaode pick up the Jerry Harrison solo reissue? I was unfamiliar but was very impressed and picked it up sounds a lot like a Talking Heads album as you’d suspect but that is never a bad thing. I haven’t had a chance to spin it yet but it’s the RSD discovery I was most excited for. Figure you diehard Talking Heads guys are probably familiar already but if not. It’s worth seeking out.

Did you or @gafacaode pick up the Jerry Harrison solo reissue? I was unfamiliar but was very impressed and picked it up sounds a lot like a Talking Heads album as you’d suspect but that is never a bad thing. I haven’t had a chance to spin it yet but it’s the RSD discovery I was most excited for. Figure you diehard Talking Heads guys are probably familiar already but if not. It’s worth seeking out.

I did not even notice it!

Back