The 1001 Album Generator Project Thread

Should we do a group project

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
The La's is... fine. I don't mind listening to it but it's also not something I feel like I'm going to return to much after this. I was honestly struggling to understand why was this was on the list at first so I looked around for some context. It seems like a lot of people see this as one of the earliest examples of Britpop and yeah I guess I can hear that. I wasn't there so I obviously wouldn't know but this really doesn't sound that revolutionary for 1990 to me. I guess it's not always about reinventing the wheel though. I'll take the list's word for it that this is an important album and I'm glad to see it has its fans on here. But I think this is just a case where I prefer the music this inspired to the actual music itself (I feel similarly about R.E.M.). Overall I'm feeling a 3 on this one.

I do think the stretch from "Timeless Melody" to "Feelin'" is particularly strong though.

I love the Carpenters. My wife thinks it is music to die by.

This really began my love affair with them:

I think Karen is a great singer. I think Richard is a heavy handed arranger/writer/producer. It would have been nice to get her in the studio with just about anyone else at some point.

This is what's in my queue after Nick Drake:
ab67616d0000b2731ce85457d791f1a664132faf.jpg
Alice Cooper - Billion Dollar Babies

I don't know that I've ever listened to a whole album by Cooper, certainly not this one. Although, I definitely know No More Mr. Nice Guy

The majority of my experience with Alice Cooper is his Muppet Show episode.

This has been doing absolutely nothing for me.

Hilariously, The Carpenters are a favourite of my mom's as well, so she's 1 and 1 in this challenge so far - Harrison was a win, Carpenters were not.

This feels like cream of wheat for the ears.

1/5
Between my mom’s love of the band and Sonic Youth’s obsession with Karen. I will forever have a soft spot for The Carpenters.

That being said, I think the only Carpenters album that aI have listened to all the way through is their Greatest Hits.

I love the Carpenters. My wife thinks it is music to die by.

This really began my love affair with them:

I think Karen is a great singer. I think Richard is a heavy handed arranger/writer/producer. It would have been nice to get her in the studio with just about anyone else at some point.

FYI: I think this comp is avail as a 7” 45 box set. I have almost purchased it a number of times.
I love Crackers cover of “Rainy Days & Monday’s”

so far, this is not what I expected. I mean I don't really know what I thought I was gonna get - theatrical metal? This is definitely theatrical but it's not metal. I don't know what it is. I don't hate it though.

5efe3eae336f5fe962e200a92bd5caab0367a243

an entirely new album to me, the background on this looks like it was his first after leaving chess and is produced by johnny winter, who is credited on wikipedia as also contributing guitar as well as "miscellaneous screams". well, there aren't many miscellaneous screams here (most are on mannish boy), but they do stand out and i wish he just kept his 'hoo!'s and 'yeah!'s to himself. ah well. as a blues album it's pretty hard to find any fault with it- it's a fairly straightforward record that doesn't try to reach beyond its purpose of showcasing muddy waters, blues legend. if anything maybe it sounds too clean, and the tempos don't vary much out of the range of slow-to-mid shuffling. the strongest tracks are saved for the back half, even though crosseyed cat inexplicably ends on a fadeout while the band is feeling a jam. the band here is a solid anchor for waters' singing and guitar playing, but waters also lets them shine when it's called for.

This is what's in my queue after Nick Drake:
View attachment 165205
Alice Cooper - Billion Dollar Babies

I don't know that I've ever listened to a whole album by Cooper, certainly not this one. Although, I definitely know No More Mr. Nice Guy

The majority of my experience with Alice Cooper is his Muppet Show episode.

That's a great record. Essential. Arguably, the best Coop out there. Musically, this thing is as much Ziggy Stardust than anything else. Full of ambitious songs, great glam riffs and wonderful black humor...

5efe3eae336f5fe962e200a92bd5caab0367a243

an entirely new album to me, the background on this looks like it was his first after leaving chess and is produced by johnny winter, who is credited on wikipedia as also contributing guitar as well as "miscellaneous screams". well, there aren't many miscellaneous screams here (most are on mannish boy), but they do stand out and i wish he just kept his 'hoo!'s and 'yeah!'s to himself. ah well. as a blues album it's pretty hard to find any fault with it- it's a fairly straightforward record that doesn't try to reach beyond its purpose of showcasing muddy waters, blues legend. if anything maybe it sounds too clean, and the tempos don't vary much out of the range of slow-to-mid shuffling. the strongest tracks are saved for the back half, even though crosseyed cat inexplicably ends on a fadeout while the band is feeling a jam. the band here is a solid anchor for waters' singing and guitar playing, but waters also lets them shine when it's called for.

Before this record, Muddy had basically thrown in the towel. He felt the music business and the audience had basically passed by the blues and himself. In his mind, blues music was commercially done. Enter Johnny Winter. As great a blues ambassador as you could ask for, Johnny got Muddy up, about and working again. He was able to energize Muddy to the point we were given 4 new records before he checked out. A hearty tip o' the cap to Johnny, not only for recharging one of the true legends of the blues, but for living the life and walking the walk - he died at 70 while on tour.

Last edited:
Back