Texas

NateOEB

Texas Y'all! Where's my N&G Texas peeps?

Ask for recommendations if you're visiting our fine state or trekking across the lone star state.

tenor.gif

I'm in the DFW area. I hit up tons of shows and festivals, though fewer than when I had younger legs.

Here's one of my favorite pictures I took at the recent Fortress Fest in Fort Worth of Tank from Tank and the Bangas.

Also, I'm visiting Austin this weekend for a Enamel Pin & Patch show. Any great restaurant recommendations? I love 24 Diner by Waterloo and probably won't have time for a Franklin stop, anything else I should checkout?

I'm actually more on the outskirts these days in the Cedar Park/Leander area, so I'm probably not really the best person to ask. I do find Stiles Switch BBQ to be a good alternative to the whole Franklin line experience.

I'm actually more on the outskirts these days in the Cedar Park/Leander area, so I'm probably not really the best person to ask. I do find Stiles Switch BBQ to be a good alternative to the whole Franklin line experience.
Nice, thanks! I checked their site out. I may have to get some of the sexy smoked fried wings on Sunday.
IMG_2108.PNG

East Dallas, home of Good Records!

Best record stores in DFW can be broken into a few categories.

Sheer volume: Josey Records in Northwest Dallas. Tons of cheap records in the $1 bins. Forever Records in Grand Prairie, will have pretty much anything you're looking for but it comes with a price. Visit the little room with the really expensive first editions if you want to see how the other hi-end half lives.
Cool Neighborhood record stores: Good Records in East Dallas (my go-to), Spinster Records in Oak Cliff, Off the Record in Deep Ellum
For old times sake: Bill's Records just south of downtown. Grab a breathing mask as the 2nd hand fumes are a little tough. Bill's was the record store of my youth, besides Sound Warehouse. He doesn't believe in pricing the records so you get pretty much his best guess of their worth. He used to be out in Richardson but moved near downtown about 10 years ago.

Last edited:
East Dallas, home of Good Records!

Best record stores in DFW can be broken into a few categories.

Sheer volume: Josey Records in Northwest Dallas. Tons of cheap records in the $1 bins. Forever Records in Grand Prairie, will have pretty much anything you're looking for but it comes with a price. Visit the little room with the really expensive first editions if you want to see how the other hi-end half lives.
Cool Neighborhood record stores: Good Records in East Dallas (my go-to), Spinster Records in Oak Cliff, Off the Record in Deep Ellum
For old times sake: Bill's Records just south of downtown. Grab a breathing mask as the 2nd hand fumes are a little tough. Bill's was the record store of my youth, besides Sound Warehouse. He doesn't believe in pricing the records so you get pretty much his best guess of their worth. He used to be out in Richardson but moved near downtown about 10 years ago.
Bill's is definitely an experience. I'd add Doc's Records in Fort Worth to the list too. Large selection and well priced and categorized. Forever Young is too high for me, both in person and on discogs lol, very cool store though.

Just arrived in Austin for a couple days. May have to hit Waterloo and End of an Ear while we're here.

Bill's is definitely an experience. I'd add Doc's Records in Fort Worth to the list too. Large selection and well priced and categorized. Forever Young is too high for me, both in person and on discogs lol, very cool store though.

Just arrived in Austin for a couple days. May have to hit Waterloo and End of an Ear while we're here.

Hit up the nice guys at The Sound Gallery! They have a great selection of used vinyl and used turntables (fun to look around). They helped me get set up with a vintage Pioneer and also when I wanted to move to a Project DC Carbon!

Space City checking in! I’m also in Dallas a lot since my firm is based there, so I’d like to meet up with you DFW folks sometime too! I’m not originally from Houston so I’m not a part of the silly competition Houston and Dallas residents seem to like to get involved in :)

Space City checking in! I’m also in Dallas a lot since my firm is based there, so I’d like to meet up with you DFW folks sometime too! I’m not originally from Houston so I’m not a part of the silly competition Houston and Dallas residents seem to like to get involved in :)

The rivalry is real dammit! Seriously though, I was born and raised in Houston, and, well, Austin is the right place for me.

The rivalry is real dammit! Seriously though, I was born and raised in Houston, and, well, Austin is the right place for me.

Oh it’s very real! Every time I go to Dallas and anyone asks where I live it ALWAYS leads to a 5 minute rant about how I live in a shitty city and should move to Dallas. Like I’m sorry I needed a job and Houston was where I found one gimme a break!

Oh it’s very real! Every time I go to Dallas and anyone asks where I live it ALWAYS leads to a 5 minute rant about how I live in a shitty city and should move to Dallas. Like I’m sorry I needed a job and Houston was where I found one gimme a break!

I was born in Houston and grew up in a small town near Fort Worth. Both Houston and Dallas are great cities. I love the Houston Museum of Natural Science. The rivalry is pretty silly to me.

Houston has long had an inferiority complex because of the Dallas Cowboys. Still does to be honest. Things are a bit more even when other sports teams are factored in. Houston is so sprawling, and, considering how large it is, doesn't really have much of a music identity. There have been some legendary acts that were born in Houston, or started out there, but I just don't necessarily associate them with Houston. Like Beyonce. She actually went to my high school briefly, although it was many years after I was there. I don't consider Beyonce a Houston act. They like to claim her as their own, and I'm sure she likes Houston well enough, but I just don't feel a strong association there at this point. I feel like a lot of good local acts/bands have come out of the Metroplex area over the years, but, again, many of them end up hanging out here in Austin, so, I'm good.

Houston is so sprawling, and, considering how large it is, doesn't really have much of a music identity. There have been some legendary acts that were born in Houston, or started out there, but I just don't necessarily associate them with Houston. Like Beyonce. She actually went to my high school briefly, although it was many years after I was there. I don't consider Beyonce a Houston act. They like to claim her as their own, and I'm sure she likes Houston well enough, but I just don't feel a strong association there at this point. I feel like a lot of good local acts/bands have come out of the Metroplex area over the years, but, again, many of them end up hanging out here in Austin, so, I'm good.

This is all true. Houston has a lot going for it, but a music identity is not it. Though I’d argue a lot of us stopped claiming Beyoncé after she ignored the whole HERO/bathroom bill debacle a few years back.

And just so it doesn't look like I have blinders on...Austin's current live music scene isn't near as good as its past live music scened. This city has a bunch of issues that are all working together to kill the thing this city prides itself on the most. Clubs closing because they can't afford the skyrocketing rents downtown...artists having to leave the city, or quit music altogether because they can't afford to make a living as working musicians...those are just a few of the problems.

Also, after all of these years, Austin still doesn't have a proper large/stadium venue for the bigger touring acts, so, despite our rich musical heritage and history here, we still lose out on those shows to Dallas, Houston and San Antonio.

Also, though I don’t claim Beyoncé, I DO claim Lizzo and White Denim (though I guess for WD I’ll split the claim with Austin)

Back