Texas

The beauty of the Texas beer market is the cities seem to love to share. I can get Blue Owl, 512, Celis, Southern Heights and others up here in Dallas. The only two I really want but can't get are Austin Beerworks and Live Oak, though those are both more about not distributing up this way, which I get. Conversely, a lot of Dallas beers make their way down south like Lakewood, Peticolas, Deep Ellum, and Oak Highlands. It's fun to go to each city and see some thriving beer scenes. Dallas has a lot of great places spread around.

I'm getting more into the Dallas beers, but St. Arnold's is still the best, in my opinion.

I'm getting more into the Dallas beers, but St. Arnold's is still the best, in my opinion.

I mark the change in the seasons with the different St. Arnold's seasonal offerings like Oktoberfest, Christmas Ale, Spring Bock, Summer Pils, etc. I was really into the Divine Reserve releases until they got too weird for me.

I mark the change in the seasons with the different St. Arnold's seasonal offerings like Oktoberfest, Christmas Ale, Spring Bock, Summer Pils, etc. I was really into the Divine Reserve releases until they got too weird for me.
I'm impressed with the new Orange Show

I will have to try that out. I really like the Art Car IPA they make. My go-to summer beer is Fancy Lawnmower. I'm more a Kolsch and Pilsner kind of guy. Like a good IPA every now and then. I usually grab something at the local growler place or whatever is convenient at my local grocery store. Thankfully, St Arnold's is stocked pretty well. My brother and I are planing a trip to Houston in the Fall for the Texas/Rice game at Reliant. The plan is to hit up Brash on the way in and St. Arnold's while we're there along with some other local options like Great Heights.

In Austin, some of things I like:
Pinthouse Pizza is pretty good for a pizza and beer combo. Their beers are pretty top-notch.
Definitely agree on Juan In A Million for breakfast tacos. A special treat is having their coffee after you've had some of that spicy salsa they bring out with the chips before your tacos come out.
Another breakfast spot we like is the Omelettery on Airport Blvd. Gingerbread pancakes are pretty good.
Tex-Mex- go to Enchiladas Y Mas on Anderson and get the beef or queso enchilada but ask for them to put some beef fajitas on top. It will look like this and it is the best.
427384_2978981752014_478351786_n.jpg

We also like Trudy's. It's not everyone's cup of team but the wife and I always enjoy it. The queso is really good there.
Maude's on South Lamar is also really good.

Breweries-Austin Beerworks is great. Live Oak is fun. Live Oak Hefeweizen might be my #1 all time beer. A local Dallas place is getting some this weekend and I'm going to be all over it as we rarely get anything Live Oak up here.

I 100% agree on the Enchiladas Y Mas! That place is the bomb. The enchiladas are great, but the real treasure are their margaritas (if you're a margarita fan, like me). Friends and I usually go to eat good food and get overly tipsy on just 1-1.5 margs. They have a three margs limit.

Wow, these are great! Ohhhhh breakfast tacos, I love them and can't wait to have them while down there. I will definitely be avoiding Tyson's, thanks for the tip. Also love going to local breweries so any recommendations you have for those would be great, really into IPA's lately. Getting excited to come down there, only been to Austin once before and loved it. It's nice to get these insider recommendations, thanks again for doing this!
brewing in Austin is as crowded as the food scene lately, but I really like Jester King, ABGB, Southern Heights, Zilker Brewing, St. Elmo, Austin Beerworks, and Independence.

many of these are served at local bars if you don't have enough hours for brewery pit stops. someone mentioned Pinthouse Pizza- I dig their Electric Jellyfish IPA, and they have north and south locations.

non-beer taprooms with quality product: Austin Eastciders and Still. Still is a whiskey (and I hear gin now!) distillery with good cocktails next to St. Elmo brewing. good food trucks in the same area, as well as RawPaw artists for cool posters/zines/etc.

If I lived in Houston I'd go to this today. Jealous of those of you who can attend. And it's free!

@Heath you going???

I went! It was great! Since it was an outdoor show and an event thrown by the city, I was able to bring my nice camera and take some pictures...can’t wait to get home today to upload them to my computer and post some on ye olde social medias (the below is not one of said photos...I took that one on my phone)

Also KB said during the show that he was coming back to houston for another show in November, so I guess that means there will be a second set of tour dates announced soon

18A6E75D-3A72-40F4-87FA-A38629970EF0.jpeg

Last edited:
I went! It was great! Since it was an outdoor show and an event thrown by the city, I was able to bring my nice camera and take some pictures...can’t wait to get home today to upload them to my computer and post some on ye olde social medias (the below is not one of said photos...I took that one on my phone)

Also KB said during the show that he was coming back to houston for another show in November, so I guess that means there will be a second set of tour dates announced soon

View attachment 2334
This makes me so happy! Looking forward to seeing your photos on insta. I'm headed up to NYC to see his June 19th show at Murmrr. But yeah, he mentioned on insta that a fall tour is on the way, so prob get a local Philly gig for the Fall.

I see Kishi every single time I can. Consummate live performer. The new album is so effing gorgeous.

This makes me so happy! Looking forward to seeing your photos on insta. I'm headed up to NYC to see his June 19th show at Murmrr. But yeah, he mentioned on insta that a fall tour is on the way, so prob get a local Philly gig for the Fall.

I see Kishi every single time I can. Consummate live performer. The new album is so effing gorgeous.

This was I think my 5th time seeing him live and it’s a treat every time!

Greeting from Dallas, everyone.

Recent transplant from Miami (year and a half ago), and really falling in love with the city.

Would love to meet everyone here at some point.

If any of you Dallas peeps fancy having some Live Oak beers from Austin, Lakewood Growler and Bluffview Growler have some on tap. It’s a rarity since Live Oak doesn’t distribute up here any longer. Live Oak Hefeweizen is my all time #1 and perfect on a hot pre-summer day like today.

Any of you between to one of the Dallas Ambient Music Nights (D.A.M.N) before? I've been wanting to go to one since I've moved here but I've never found the time. Thinking about checking it out with the 4k Donnie Darko screening.
I've never heard of this, but it sounds cool. Plus seeing Darko again would be fun. It's been a long time.

Anyone else in Dallas get slammed with that storm yesterday? I'm still without power, which means still without music :cry:

Luckily the office has power and a nice gym though.

Reactions: oak
I look to have been out of reach of that. It was wild to see that on the news though

I just saw that footage a few hours ago too. I have a whole new sense of sympathy for those effected by tornadoes and hurricanes. I only had a fence go down at my house, but we have trees down every few houses on my block. Lots of people with home damages and broken windows. I was actually very fortunate.

Reactions: oak
Anyone else in Dallas get slammed with that storm yesterday? I'm still without power, which means still without music :cry:

Luckily the office has power and a nice gym though.
I like a block away from where that crane fell. Nevertheless, I only lost power for a total of 45 minutes.

I’ve lived in Miami most of my life, and even after being through countless hurricanes, I can say I haven’t seen any damage like that happen so close to me before.

Haven't had power since Sunday. Took the wife and kids to my mom's, who has power. Oncor went from a status of yesterday at 7pm to TBD. With as many trees and power poles down as I've seen, it may be Thursday at the earliest. Had to trash all our food from the fridge. Luckily, we didn't have any damage to our house. Others in our area weren't so lucky.

Haven't had power since Sunday. Took the wife and kids to my mom's, who has power. Oncor went from a status of yesterday at 7pm to TBD. With as many trees and power poles down as I've seen, it may be Thursday at the earliest. Had to trash all our food from the fridge. Luckily, we didn't have any damage to our house. Others in our area weren't so lucky.
I just got power back today! Still no internet, but at least I can cook again.

Looks like What Made Milwaukee Famous are playing some reunion shows in September--one in Houston and two in Austin. The band will be a bit of a hybrid of the original lineup and the later one, but, one of the principal players from their early days is returning for these shows. I loved that first record, particularly the original locally released version, and saw them several times at the old Emo's location at 6th and Red River.

Back