Television

Now That Masters Of Air has ended I think I am gonna jump right into Netflix’s 3 Body Problem when it premieres on March 21. I read it’s based on a popular Chinese Sci-Fi book series and the show created by Game Of Thrones creators Benioff and Weiss and the previews look fantastic.

I read the books in Spanish because the translations came out a lot earlier than in English, so it will be weird to see it in English after imagining it being in Chinese while reading it in Spanish... I'm pretty curious to see how they even attempt to visualize some of what happens in the books.

Finished Death and other details on Disney- definitely trying to tap into Only Murders in the Building vibes - not as good as that but the central mystery was actually pretty good - too many episodes though and a bit of an uneven tone at times (lots of spicy sex scenes that added no value really imo) but that could be a bonus for some !

Now That Masters Of Air has ended I think I am gonna jump right into Netflix’s 3 Body Problem when it premieres on March 21. I read it’s based on a popular Chinese Sci-Fi book series and the show created by Game Of Thrones creators Benioff and Weiss and the previews look fantastic.

I loved the books, so I'm a bit worried about them Westernizing this up. They'll have to change so much of the story which for one character centers so many of her actions on the trauma of the Cultural Revolution. Plus there is a Chinese version of the show that I've heard amazing things about, so I'm not sure this was needed. I'll still watch, but I'm expecting it to really piss me off with how they do it for those who are getting the story for the first time.

Finished Death and other details on Disney- definitely trying to tap into Only Murders in the Building vibes - not as good as that but the central mystery was actually pretty good - too many episodes though and a bit of an uneven tone at times (lots of spicy sex scenes that added no value really imo) but that could be a bonus for some !
I gave up after episode 8. I might eventually finish it off but grew so frustrated I had to tap out.

I loved the books, so I'm a bit worried about them Westernizing this up. They'll have to change so much of the story which for one character centers so many of her actions on the trauma of the Cultural Revolution. Plus there is a Chinese version of the show that I've heard amazing things about, so I'm not sure this was needed. I'll still watch, but I'm expecting it to really piss me off with how they do it for those who are getting the story for the first time.
This is me as well; I read the books ~8 years ago, just reread the first one in anticipation of this show. I think they’re trying to expand the cast (while they say they’re globalizing the cast, I feel more like they’re anglicizing them) and amp up the drama, and that seems like eliding what makes the books so intriguing.

I hadn't watched a Star Wars thing in 5 years and hadn't enjoyed one in 7, but I was convinced from a watch of Tony Gilroy's Michael Clayton a couple months ago to check out his take on the property with Andor. Just finished it today. Pretty good! I like that it didn't embellish the fact that it was a SW thing and just told the story it wanted to tell. No glup shitto fan service or anything like that. Really entertaining, and well-written! Probably still won't watch any other show or ever watch episode IX in full, but I'll be checking out season 2 when it drops.

Not any huge comments on tonight's episode of Curb...strong season; although I do miss the earlier seasons that were less polished overall.

Just two things - and this may help anyone who runs into a Cat Child in real life - putting a drawstring back in a hoodie is stupid easy. Just attach a safety pin through the lead end and work it through.

Second, that protective jacket on the dog is too much and I'm afraid to search to see if they are real items or made for the show. It kind of reminds me of those spiked collars on working/herd/guard dogs who may encounter wolves/coyotes to protect them....except ridiculous.

Shogun is so damn good. FX continues to hit it out of the park.
Right! I think it’s was announced as a limited series but A.) I don’t know how they could easily cap this shows run at just 9 or 10 episodes without rushing the story a bit and B.) I would love for the show to have a multi season run so I can visit this world every year or so.

Right! I think it’s was announced as a limited series but A.) I don’t know how they could easily cap this shows run at just 9 or 10 episodes without rushing the story a bit and B.) I would love for the show to have a multi season run so I can visit this world every year or so.
are they not just adapting the novel in one go?

are they not just adapting the novel in one go?
That is correct, over a 10 episode limited series. but as we’ve seen in “The Leftovers”, Watchmen, and GOT, occasionally studios will use books as a jumping off point.

While the initial plans were just a limited series. The amount of world building that has been done (and the boffo ratings) I feel like there is plenty of story to explore further if they so choose.

I haven’t read the source material but it is my understanding that the book is told through the lens of John Blackthorne but if they want to boil him in a stew or send him back to England and continue on with the palace intrigue of feudal Japan I would be here for it.

That is correct, over a 10 episode limited series. but as we’ve seen in “The Leftovers”, Watchmen, and GOT, occasionally studios will use books as a jumping off point.

While the initial plans were just a limited series. The amount of world building that has been done (and the boffo ratings) I feel like there is plenty of story to explore further if they so choose.

I haven’t read the source material but it is my understanding that the book is told through the lens of John Blackthorne but if they want to boil him in a stew or send him back to England and continue on with the palace intrigue of feudal Japan I would be here for it.
I think briefly in the 70s the book held the record for the longest mass paperback. The beast was 1200 pages.

I think briefly in the 70s the book held the record for the longest mass paperback. The beast was 1200 pages.
Yeah, and theoretically we are halfway through the story at this point. I have complete faith, with what I’ve seen thus far; that the show will stick the landing but also feel like this show could run for like 6 more seasons and be even better.

Back