Television

Watched the 1st ep of The Gentlemen on Netflix. Pretty much the movie all over again, told from the view of a wealthy land owner. Like the Guardian said "it's a slightly underpowered Ritchie film on TV. If you like his films, you should watch it. If you don’t, there is loads of other stuff instead." If you have a tweed fetish you will be in heaven.

Has anyone watched Carol and the End of the World on Netflix yet? I tried the first episode, didn't connect, and am trying the second episode after hearing some praise on a podcast. The tone and perspective are...kind of frustrating me.

Has anyone watched Carol and the End of the World on Netflix yet? I tried the first episode, didn't connect, and am trying the second episode after hearing some praise on a podcast. The tone and perspective are...kind of frustrating me.
My wife liked it because it's basically just the same character as Martha from Baskets. But I thought it was mediocre.

My wife liked it because it's basically just the same character as Martha from Baskets. But I thought it was mediocre.
I know the story's from the perspective of someone who doesn't relate to others' reactions to the apocalypse, but everyone but Carol seems annoying or disingenuous in their actions. The detached, alienated energy takes a lot of the air out of things for me.

Yeah I couldn’t finish it. I watched the first…3 episodes maybe? I just couldn’t get with it. I found it kind of off-putting.

I just finished Masters Of Air and it was good! Not Band Of Brothers good but still pretty good all things considered. I enjoyed it more than The Pacific for no other reason than it was a bit less bleak overall. The biggest flaw of this series, much like The Pacific; is its unfocused nature. They could have done a full series on the Tuskegee Airmen, or The downed Pilots sneaking out of occupied Europe with the help of the Belgium and French Resistance, or the POW camp, or the Female English Officer working undercover in occupied France, and probably two or 3 more subjects but with only 9 episodes all these strands took away from The 100’s Journey. I partially understand since all the other subplots were often better for story telling purposes than the bombing missions since you didn’t get to know too many of the airmen outside of the main cast all the other pilots got a bit lost in the chaos. Especially when they had most their face hidden behind an oxygen mask. Those bombing missions were still edge of your seat nerve-wracking especially when you realize that they were practically suicide missions. They did a great job capturing the claustrophobia of being a pilot, gunner, navigator, and bombardier on one of those flying air fortresses and even though they had a heavy reliance on CGI for much of the air battles for obvious reasons I think they pulled it off of the most part.

Overall, it is a solid watch. I will still likely spend more time rewatching Band of Brothers than rewatching Masters of Air or The Pacific but I could see myself doing a rewatch of MOA again if I am feeling extra Patriotic.

I just finished Masters Of Air and it was good! Not Band Of Brothers good but still pretty good all things considered. I enjoyed it more than The Pacific for no other reason than it was a bit less bleak overall. The biggest flaw of this series, much like The Pacific; is its unfocused nature. They could have done a full series on the Tuskegee Airmen, or The downed Pilots sneaking out of occupied Europe with the help of the Belgium and French Resistance, or the POW camp, or the Female English Officer working undercover in occupied France, and probably two or 3 more subjects but with only 9 episodes all these strands took away from The 100’s Journey. I partially understand since all the other subplots were often better for story telling purposes than the bombing missions since you didn’t get to know too many of the airmen outside of the main cast all the other pilots got a bit lost in the chaos. Especially when they had most their face hidden behind an oxygen mask. Those bombing missions were still edge of your seat nerve-wracking especially when you realize that they were practically suicide missions. They did a great job capturing the claustrophobia of being a pilot, gunner, navigator, and bombardier on one of those flying air fortresses and even though they had a heavy reliance on CGI for much of the air battles for obvious reasons I think they pulled it off of the most part.

Overall, it is a solid watch. I will still likely spend more time rewatching Band of Brothers than rewatching Masters of Air or The Pacific but I could see myself doing a rewatch of MOA again if I am feeling extra Patriotic.
Pretty much my sentiments. BoB is a league of its own. Apple, make a Red Tails series dammit!

Now That Masters Of Air has ended I think I am gonna jump right into Netflix’s 3 Body Problem when it premieres on March 21. I read it’s based on a popular Chinese Sci-Fi book series and the show created by Game Of Thrones creators Benioff and Weiss and the previews look fantastic.

The book series is insane and awesome and I have no idea how they’re going to adapt the later volumes.

Back