Television

For the sake of clarity I think everything since Endgame is Phase 4.

I've been watching The Boys. I don't think it's a very good show. But Antony Starr is legitimately disturbing as this world's Superman analogue. The show is twice as compelling every time he's on the screen and you watch normal people try to interact with a living god who is also psychotic. It's a star turn that risks making him unbelievable as anything but an evil megalomaniac with laser eyes.

I feel like humor / world view dictates whether a person will like The Boys.

That said, as somebody who doesn't typically like super hero stuff.... The Boys is one of my favorite shows on TV and some damn brilliant satire in an era where pulling off such things is really difficult. However, the last episode of S3 had some very questionable writing decisions that has me unsure whether S4 will be any good.

It's been an odd year that way. Euphoria's finale did the same thing and I'm about to wrap Sex Education S3 and it's gone completely off the rails in regards to belivability.

Last edited:
Infeel like humor / world view dictates whether a person will like The Boysm

That said, as somebody who doesn't typically like super hero stuff.... The Boys is one of my favorite shows on TV and some damn brilliant satire in an era where pulling off such things is really difficult. However, the last episode of S3 had some very questionable writing decisions that has me unsure whether S4 will be any good..
It’s very good at translating Garth Ennis to the screen for sure. Way better than Preacher was at the same thing. I just kind of think that Ennis’ thing isn’t aging super well for me as I get older. Sometimes he pushes the envelope in a way that makes me cringe-laugh, but other times I just cringe.

There’s a lot to like in The Boys and overall I’ve been entertained by it. I’m just not sure it’s Good.

I dont mind the plethora of newer stuff (and am happy to see The Americans and Atlanta place so high) but I find it tough to weigh mini-series, shows that got canceled or that are still unfinished against shows that had long runs but fell off a cliff ala The Simpsons or GOT.

There is no way Fleabag should be that high consdering its brief run nor Succession UNTIL we see where is goes over the course of its arch.

Meanwhile it is absolutely bonkers how underrated Mr Robot is. It rivals only a small handful of shows in both its ambition and knowing exactly where it' was going from A-Z. It's also a rarity in having twists that hold up and feel earned even upon repeat viewings. It's the only drama other than The Wire that I've watched more than twice.

It and King of the Hill are easily the most glaring omissions unless I'm completely blanking on something.

Edit: Louie. Louie was groundbreaking and didn't have a single mediocre season. But obviously, it was left off for an understandable reason.
Yeah exactly! Those miniseries should be their own category and single season, unfinished shows as well.

Even though The Simpsons fell off, and I still watch and enjoy it, I’d still personally rank it as the GOAT. It’s highs we’re unmatched to anything,

Without that much thought I’d probably say:

1) The Simpsons
2) Breaking Bad
3) Mad Men
4) The Wire
5) The Office (US)
6) Community
7) Parks and Recreation
8) Twin Peaks
9) Arrested Development
10) 30 Rock

Probably missing some others I’m forgetting

Yeah exactly! Those miniseries should be their own category and single season, unfinished shows as well.

Even though The Simpsons fell off, and I still watch and enjoy it, I’d still personally rank it as the GOAT. It’s highs we’re unmatched to anything,

Without that much thought I’d probably say:

1) The Simpsons
2) Breaking Bad
3) Mad Men
4) The Wire
5) The Office (US)
6) Community
7) Parks and Recreation
8) Twin Peaks
9) Arrested Development
10) 30 Rock

Probably missing some others I’m forgetting

Yeah, I get the love for the Simpsons. I adored it when I was younger and it was groundbreaking. Its just that it's been bad for basically as long as it was good and I don't go back and revisit it as much as I would have thought as an adult.

In contrast, the first 8 seasons King of the Hill (after which Daniels and Judge split) hit me harder than ever as a 35 year old and, while it's certainly had some low points, South Park has rebounded to solid if not always spectacular since they serialized it. And the first 9 seasons were vital to my adolescence and the shape of my sense of humor. (I'm also from Colorado).

As to a top 10:

1) The Wire
2) The Americans
3) Mr. Robot
4) Arrested Development
5) South Park
6) Louie
7) Atlanta
8) King of The Hill
9) Breaking Bad
10) The Sopranos

Honorables: The Daily Show with John Stewart, Pen15, The Office (US), 30 Rock.

*I have not watched The Leftovers, Better Call Saul, Friday Night Lights or Mad Men.

Last edited:
This is the way.

I have a dog named Omar and a cat named Stringer. Clearly, I agree 😂

It’s very good at translating Garth Ennis to the screen for sure. Way better than Preacher was at the same thing. I just kind of think that Ennis’ thing isn’t aging super well for me as I get older. Sometimes he pushes the envelope in a way that makes me cringe-laugh, but other times I just cringe.

There’s a lot to like in The Boys and overall I’ve been entertained by it. I’m just not sure it’s Good.

Most of this is fair. I'm not a graphic novel person. Didn't even know the OG author was from the same guy as The Preacher.

Obviously, I enjoy the biting politically commentary and I've just admited to being a South Park fan (and also really like the first 3 seasons of Rick and Morty). So clearly, I haven't outgrown some of the more outrageous shock humor (because it's well done).

But even if you remove all that-- it's well shot, has no business looking as good (particularly the action scenes) as it does and most of the acting is rock solid to excellent. And you've just said you think the writing has done a good job of adaptating the source material despite juggling a difficult tone.

So while I'd say it's pretty clearly not for everyone, it's objectively well made. As to the idea of good...

I mean, that's always gonna be subjective. I personally thought Top Gun: Maverick was mind numbing drivel that bordered on military propaganda. Everyone else on the planet apparently loves it. And it's probably going to be nominated for Best Picture... because, wait for it, it's really well made.

Last edited:
most of the acting is rock solid to excellent.
I will unreservedly agree that Chace Crawford playing an idiot has been revelatory.

I honestly don’t disagree with most of what you’ve said here. For me there’s something just a little bit undefinable that pushes something over the edge from good to great, and this show is missing whatever that ingredient is. I suspect it’s related to how plot heavy it is to the disservice of developing its protagonists, who are mostly boring ciphers, especially compared to the supes who are mostly fascinating. You have to get well into the third season to learn even superficial things about some of The Boys and why they do what they do for a living.

I also think The Boys is HEAVILY indebted to one of Ennis’ earlier creations, a DC title from the ‘90s called Hitman. It was about a hitman who was bitten by an alien and gets superpowers (X-ray vision and telepathy), which he uses to take on contract killings of other super powered people. Hijinks ensue (at one point he auditions for the Justice League just so he can use X-ray vision on Wonder Woman). Between that and Preacher, I think readers familiar with Ennis’ work will either cheer for The Boys or feel like his fixations are a little tired, even if he keeps finding new spins to put on them.

I don’t mean to be down on the show overall. It’s fun.

The one thing missing from all of your lists, though, is Rectify, the best show no one has ever seen. At 30 episodes spread across 4 seasons, it is nearly perfect. It’s been years since it ended and my wife and I still talk about it all the time.

Beatrice
Bebe
Beeb
Bea
Beadie
Beazoo
Butt Jesus Christ - as in "I love you Bebe butt jesus christ did you need to destroy that pillow?"

My cat (Stringer) is the destructive one. He's maaybe a year and a half old so part of it is kittenhood but man he drives me crazy. All my blinds are completely wrecked, I live with blankets over my couch because he darts everywhere full speed while running between window ledges, went ham on a chair when he was little and has recently discovered he loves plastic wrap which has me praying for my records. Luckily, he's super affectionate and attached to my hip or he might have been thrown out the window by now.

Omar? Omar is basically a saint. People fight over who gets to dogsit him.

Attachments

• 20220902_211914.jpg
    20220902_211914.jpg
    204.2 KB · Views: 2
  • 20220831_232100.jpg
    20220831_232100.jpg
    222.1 KB · Views: 2
  • 20220821_192154.jpg
    20220821_192154.jpg
    152.4 KB · Views: 2
  • 20220821_162658.jpg
    20220821_162658.jpg
    226.3 KB · Views: 2
  • 20220830_233044.jpg
    20220830_233044.jpg
    186.9 KB · Views: 1
  • 20220827_151844.jpg
    20220827_151844.jpg
    360.4 KB · Views: 1
Last edited:
Finished S2 of Reservation Dogs. Touching final episode. When they were all standing in the ocean in an embrace and Daniel was a part of it...I wasn't crying, you were crying!

Middle of The Patient...excellent. Love Steve Carell and Domhnall Gleeson.

Just started S2 of Abbot Elementary. Wife and I love it. Great show with a wonderful heart at its center.

Just started newest season Cobra Kai. What a stupidly satisfying show. It's so good, but it shouldn't be.

Finished S2 of Reservation Dogs. Touching final episode. When they were all standing in the ocean in an embrace and Daniel was a part of it...I wasn't crying, you were crying!
It was so good, one of my favorite shows of the year. Everything with the Daniel and Cheese story lines were so well told. The standout from the show for Me has been Paulina Alexis who plays Willie Jack. Everyone on the show is good but she really brings a lot to the ensemble.

It was so good, one of my favorite shows of the year. Everything with the Daniel and Cheese story lines were so well told. The standout from the show for Me has been Paulina Alexis who plays Willie Jack. Everyone on the show is good but she really brings a lot to the ensemble.
I was shocked to see cranberry juice skateboard Dreams meme guy was A. On the show, B. Actually wasn't bad and C. It was his first acting gig. Not quite done season two yet but it's fantastic. The mystical dream warrior sage has made me laugh my ass off on several occasions. His line delivery is so damn good.

I was shocked to see cranberry juice skateboard Dreams meme guy was A. On the show, B. Actually wasn't bad and C. It was his first acting gig. Not quite done season two yet but it's fantastic. The mystical dream warrior sage has made me laugh my ass off on several occasions. His line delivery is so damn good.
It unfolded at a wonderful pace. Of perfect example of writing, acting and directing all coming together over the arc of the season

community-cool.gif

Deadline is reporting that Donald Glover and Yvette Nicole Brown will not appear but Joel did tag them in this tweet so I guess there's hope.
YNB did tweet about it twice but Donald Glover is always... who knows really.

I think it needs to be an everyone or no one situation. They can't just have 4 of them for it to work. Bring back Chevy Chase too!

What's the deal with her again? She turned out to be a weird/awful person in real life right? I just can't remember what kind of weird/awful.
I remember her being really snippy with people on Twitter for no reason. Like people tagging her in stuff talking about the show and she'd just go off on them. Also she was very, very critical of Bernie Sanders and "Bernie Bros" which turned like half of all Community fans against her.

I don't think she's done anything wrong, just some of her views were/are devisive.

Back