Talking U2 with you too.

I need a documentary like this one above, but just Larry and Letterman (or someone in Letterman's spot). Imagine Larry having to do all the talking on the band's behalf and it's just his perspective? Would be gold.

Is it just me, or is the online response to this album announcement overly critical? People seem hung up on the idea of it just recycling old material. They have a 40+ year history and they have very few instances of them re-releasing older material. They've only released the two decade Greatest Hits albums and U218. It's not like Songs of Surrender is designed to replace the classics. The new versions are obviously designed to feel and sound very different from the originals.

Is it just me, or is the online response to this album announcement overly critical? People seem hung up on the idea of it just recycling old material. They have a 40+ year history and they have very few instances of them re-releasing older material. They've only released the two decade Greatest Hits albums and U218. It's not like Songs of Surrender is designed to replace the classics. The new versions are obviously designed to feel and sound very different from the originals.

I think most U2 fans are just fed up of waiting for a good new album (not been one in a long time !) as far as archive releases , these new “old” songs are a bit underwhelming (The new version of Pride is poor imo) , a good live archive series (maybe like Dylan’s bootleg series) would be more welcome- the bands (see Bono) aversion to their 80’s material because of perceived weaker vocals is becoming annoying- and re-recorded songs to have an excuse to update vocals is tiresome
I’m a big fan but they frustrate me - the latest fanclub release (achtung baby 30) is yet another annoying release - all the album tracks recorded over various tours of the last 30 years - the problem is the three 90’s tour tracks blow the later live versions out of the water - why not just give us a full unreleased Zoo TV tour show?

I think most U2 fans are just fed up of waiting for a good new album (not been one in a long time !) as far as archive releases , these new “old” songs are a bit underwhelming (The new version of Pride is poor imo) , a good live archive series (maybe like Dylan’s bootleg series) would be more welcome- the bands (see Bono) aversion to their 80’s material because of perceived weaker vocals is becoming annoying- and re-recorded songs to have an excuse to update vocals is tiresome
I’m a big fan but they frustrate me - the latest fanclub release (achtung baby 30) is yet another annoying release - all the album tracks recorded over various tours of the last 30 years - the problem is the three 90’s tour tracks blow the later live versions out of the water - why not just give us a full unreleased Zoo TV tour show?
I would be in on a Zoo TV release. I have the Sydney show on DVD from back when I was in college!

I would be in on a Zoo TV release. I have the Sydney show on DVD from back when I was in college!
ZooTv is my fave tour of all time by any band. I have the Sydney show on VHS from the pay per view. It include Trying to Throw Your Arms Around the World which was cut due to the handicam girl being underage and drinking.

Very curious to see what happens with the Las Vegas residency. Rumors that it was going to be Achtung Baby front to back, but I just cannot see them touring without Larry. It would truly shock me.

only heard pride so far and that dissuaded me from spending 100€ on the 4 lp set. I do not really like that version
I was totally underwhelmed by the version of Beautiful Day used in the announcement trailer, was hoping that would be the only reworked song I dislike. Listened to Dave Fanning premiere Pride and couldn't believe what I was hearing. It's beyond awful. I truly fear what they are going to do to Who's Gonna Ride Your Wild Horses :eek: :oops:

I was totally underwhelmed by the version of Beautiful Day used in the announcement trailer, was hoping that would be the only reworked song I dislike. Listened to Dave Fanning premiere Pride and couldn't believe what I was hearing. It's beyond awful. I truly fear what they are going to do to Who's Gonna Ride Your Wild Horses :eek: :oops:
The clips are all used in the Surrender audio book. They're all pretty much going to be in that style. They're all stripped down acoustic performances. It sounds like some lyrics will be changed as well.

The clips are all used in the Surrender audio book. They're all pretty much going to be in that style. They're all stripped down acoustic performances. It sounds like some lyrics will be changed as well.
I started reading the ebook, I have the hardcover as well, and just started listening to the audiobook from the beginning when I learned he reads it and sings in it. A friend actually extracted all of the music from the audio book, but I haven't had the chance to listen yet.

That said, I really enjoyed the show at the Beacon and Bono's renditions of the songs, but so far, I'm just not feeling these reimagined versions.

I started reading the ebook, I have the hardcover as well, and just started listening to the audiobook from the beginning when I learned he reads it and sings in it. A friend actually extracted all of the music from the audio book, but I haven't had the chance to listen yet.

That said, I really enjoyed the show at the Beacon and Bono's renditions of the songs, but so far, I'm just not feeling these reimagined versions.
I'm more curious about the new songs than excited. I'm glad they didn't just re-do all of the radio hits. There's some tracks I'm interested to see how the full versions sound.

IMO, Surrender is a book that is perfectly suited for the audiobook format. Great storytelling and songs. Plus, you can't hear Bono imitate a Jamaican accent or Bill Clinton in the hardcover :)

Back