Sutherland 20/20 Load and Gain Settings

I have heard of it before and have read about other users using it on different forums. It’s what I would recommend if the inline filters help with the shaking but restrict the sound of the 20/20.

Frankly, although I love Sutherland products, if I needed a LF filter to make my system work well, I’d exchange the 20/20 for another preamp with a built-in filter. Having another component to fiddle with would be a long-term downer for me.

Amazon product ASIN B00S8XXYHC
The plug style low filters came in the mail yesterday. No more rumble and only slight degradation of sound. I had also purchased the KAB, so I'm really looking forward to trying out the nicer filter.
Glad to hear that you're nearer to the root of the problem. Given what we've discussed, it looks like acoustic feedback is the source of the issue versus turntable rumble, which is also good to hear. Either way, a LF filter will ameliorate it. I hope the KAB filter works well for you.

I have a question. I'm not terribly well versed on these things, and so I was hoping to get some insight.

From the KAB website:

"When the stereo stylus moves vertically, the two signals produced are equal and 180 degrees out of phase. Therefore, below 140Hz, the music is in phase in the lateral stylus motion, and only out of phase noise is found in the vertical stylus motion.
The KAB RF-1 takes advantage of this by electronically combining the left and right channels together below 140Hz. In so doing the filter effectively cancels vertically modulated noise.

My question is this: I know the Sutherland has two completely separate mono preamps with separate power sources as well. Are these two concepts conflicting? Will the separation of the Sutherland be eliminated? Sounds like only under 140Hz, but again, I'm no expert.

I have a question. I'm not terribly well versed on these things, and so I was hoping to get some insight.

From the KAB website:

"When the stereo stylus moves vertically, the two signals produced are equal and 180 degrees out of phase. Therefore, below 140Hz, the music is in phase in the lateral stylus motion, and only out of phase noise is found in the vertical stylus motion.
The KAB RF-1 takes advantage of this by electronically combining the left and right channels together below 140Hz. In so doing the filter effectively cancels vertically modulated noise.

My question is this: I know the Sutherland has two completely separate mono preamps with separate power sources as well. Are these two concepts conflicting? Will the separation of the Sutherland be eliminated? Sounds like only under 140Hz, but again, I'm no expert.
Below 140 Hz, all signal in the groove is mono. If the signal was stereo that low, no cartridge could track it. You won’t lose any stereo separation.

Update on the status:

I a/b compared the Sutherland hooked into the $25 filters from Amazon with the pro-ject tube box, and the improvement was noticeable with the Sutherland.

The KAB came in yesterday, and I hooked it up. Holy smokes! It's flawless now. Huge increase in openness going from the Sutherland with the $25 filters to the Sutherland with the KAB.

I appreciate all who let me pick their brains on this topic. I will be keeping the Sutherland. Very satisfied.

Quick question: Does anyone have a Sutherland and NOT have a subsonic filter, whether it be built into the subwoofer or integrated amp or preamp?
I don’t use a subsonic filter on my system with the 20/20. I don’t know if these make a difference, but that system has an f3 of 7Hz and the table is in a separate equipment room on a wall mounted and isolated shelf.

I wonder why I would need one? My husband is saying the weakest link in our system now is the filter, but at the same time, it's what is making it work.
I think it’s those rear facing passive radiators which may be pointed toward your turntable. Your older phono had a filter built in that would have obscured the issue.

I think it’s those rear facing passive radiators which may be pointed toward your turntable. Your older phono had a filter built in that would have obscured the issue.
By rear facing passive radiators, are you talking about the vandersteens?

By rear facing passive radiators, are you talking about the vandersteens
Yes, I am.

S1%20Model%202CE%20Sig%201200dpi%20copy.jpg

Last edited:
Yes, I am.

Just a view of the room.

Yes, I am.

It appears that later models of the Vandersteen have an active subwoofer, versus a pass radiator.

Just a view of the room.

Did you move recently?

Is your floor suspended or a slab?

Looking at that pic though, the speaker placement is still a stretch.

The KAB filter isn’t a bad thing, especially with 50 watts per channel. The filter is making the amp work less as it’s not amplifying subsonic signals.

If it sounds good, all is well.

Back