Sutherland 20/20 Load and Gain Settings

Did you move recently?

Is your floor suspended or a slab?

Looking at that pic though, the speaker placement is still a stretch.

The KAB filter isn’t a bad thing, especially with 50 watts per channel. The filter is making the amp work less as it’s not amplifying subsonic signals.

If it sounds good, all is well.

We set everything up when we moved in back in January of 2020. The Vandersteen instructions tell you how to measure the room, as I assume you know since you recommended the Vandersteens to us back in 2018, and we have them placed in the proper place to counter nodes. We love the Vandersteens. The floor is not a slab; it has a subfloor. Everything sounds good. I really was just curious why I might need a subsonic filter, but I think I have a grasp now. Thank you! Your advice has been very much appreciated over the past few years :) We love our setup!

We purchased our Vandersteens in 2018. They do not have power to them, so I am assuming they have a passive radiator?
I should have chosen my words more carefully; it is a subwoofer driven by the power amp as it is crossed over at a lower frequency than the woofer. It has a voice coil, so it is driven.

Older models, I believe, used a passive radiator which has no voice coil and is driven by the back pressure from the woofer, like the Klipsch Forte. It’s not “active” in the sense that it’s powered. Vandersteen tries to use flowery language to make a distinction; they call it an “Active Acoustic Coupler”.

I agree with @HiFi Guy on the KAB filter and the speaker placement. Having the turntable 5 feet in front of the speaker may create issues, but the filter will handle it.

Last edited:
We set everything up when we moved in back in January of 2020. The Vandersteen instructions tell you how to measure the room, as I assume you know since you recommended the Vandersteens to us back in 2018, and we have them placed in the proper place to counter nodes. We love the Vandersteens. The floor is not a slab; it has a subfloor. Everything sounds good. I really was just curious why I might need a subsonic filter, but I think I have a grasp now. Thank you! Your advice has been very much appreciated over the past few years :) We love our setup!
@forkandspoon - Thought of you recently - everything still okay with the 20/20?

Back