Strange Musical Tales: The September 2023 Vinyl Spin Challenge Thread

Day 2 - THE DUNWICH HORROR (Lovecraft, 1928)
Play something that references a weird creature and/or a legend that you might find in a dark book in the library at Miskatonic University and/or play something that is based on a book, or references books and/or libraries.

1. Sasquatch ain't got nothing on Cysquatch...

Mastodon - Medium Rarities

20230901_235715.jpg

2. "If you want to write rock lyrics, you must learn about where the Hobbits dwell." Anyone who immediately recognizes this quote is my people...

Led Zeppelin - II

20230901_235502.jpg

One of the central tales in the Cthulhu mythos, and one of the few where the protagonists defeat the monster of the story. Along the way, the protagonists consult the Necronomicon at Miskatonic University.
Play something that references a weird creature and/or a legend that you might find in a dark book in the library at Miskatonic University and/or play something that is based on a book, or references books and/or libraries.

RUSH "Moving Pictures"
(1981 Mercury; 2015 reissue)
I'm pretty sure you would find witches ("Witch Hunt") in the Necronomicron. The album also has a song that references and is based on a book ("Tom Sawyer"). The moving pictures on the cover have a bit of a cosmic horror dread to them too, but that would be for another challenge. Heck, the record even mentions me "Jump to the ground as the Turbo slows to cross the borderline" ("Red Barchetta"). Anyway, two tentacles.

IMG_0415.JPG

Day 1 - THE KING IN YELLOW (Robert Chambers, 1895)
Collection of stories that predates Lovecraft and one of the first introductions to the concept of cosmic horror and “Great Old Ones”. The King In Yellow, Carcosa and black stars were famously referenced on True Detectives Season 1.
Play something that references kings and/or stars, preferably black, and/or references or is related to the colour yellow.

One of the central tales in the Cthulhu mythos, and one of the few where the protagonists defeat the monster of the story. Along the way, the protagonists consult the Necronomicon at Miskatonic University.

Day 3 - AT THE MOUNTAINS OF MADNESS (Lovecraft, 1931)
One of the most influential Lovecraft stories, featuring the discovery of mysterious alien ruins that the protagonists cannot understand, a trope that reappeared in countless sci-fi works like Alien, The Thing, or The Expanse.
Play something related to sanity/insanity and/or about the frigid cold of winter and/or makes you think of winter and/or aliens.

Day 4 - LOVECRAFT COUNTRY (Matt Ruff, 2016)
Lovecraft’s stories have influenced a lot of science-fiction, horror, and fantasy, but the elephant in the room is that he was known to have racist beliefs. As a response to this, various authors have reappropriated the cosmic horror themes and ideas from his works into empowering storylines. Examples of this are Matt Ruff’s Lovecraft Country (which was also adapted into an HBO series) and Victor LaValle’s The Ballad Of Black Tom.
Play something empowering and/or something by a black artist.

Day 5 - BEYOND THE WALL OF SLEEP (Lovecraft, 1919)
The story features an asylum intern that used a two-way telepathic communication machine on a nearly dead criminally insane patient.
Play something that references dreams and/or nightmares and/or sleep and/or asylums.

DAY 6 - THE CASE OF CHARLES DEXTER WARD (Lovecraft, 1927)
Depicts the obsession of Charles Dexter Ward with an old ancestor that practiced dark magic.
Play something that references magic and/or wizards and/or ancestors and/or the occult.

Day 7 - REVIVAL (Tim Seely & Mike Norton, 2012)
Comic series centered around the idea of the dead coming back to life in a small Wisconsin town, and the investigation into why this is occurring, along with the religious zealots that latch on the phenomenon and the media and government response.
Play something that references zombies and/or the undead and/or any sort of news media and/or small towns and/or the government.

Day 8 - TRUE DETECTIVE (Nic Pizzolatto, 2014)
The first season of True Detective makes various references to the cosmic horror of The King In Yellow, most notably with the villain inspired by the story and Carcosa and the existential dread hovering about the story, but also with deliberate imagery placed in the various scenes, from black stars on the walls, to a flock of birds flying in a spiral and a fast-food sign with a yellow crown placed above the characters’ heads. And there is Detective Rust Cohl’s nihilist philosophies.
Play something about detectives, police and/or mysteries and/or, if all else fails, anything on a flat circle.

Day 9 - PICKMAN’S MODEL (Lovecraft, 1926)
The story centers on the disappearance of Richard Upton Pickman, a painter that creates horrific images and who was shunned by his peers.
Play something related to painting, a painting or painters and/or play an album with a “horrific” cover.

Day 10 -THE X-FILES (Chris Carter, 1993)
The X-Files drew on cosmic horror several times throughout its run, beginning with the whole “investigators of the unknown” format, various references to weird creatures, cults and conspiracies, and other inspirations in specific episodes, for example “Our Town” (The Shadow Over Innsmouth), “Tooms” (Cool Air), “Dreamland” (The Thing On The Doorstep) and “Ice” (At The Mountains Of Madness).
Play something that starts with the letter “X” and/or that mentions conspiracies and/or cigarette smoking and/or aliens.
I loved putting together my short story challenge last year, so I'm really excited to be on this side of it! I'm going to try to read all these too. I need some cosmic horror in my life!!! Love the theme, @Turbo!

Collection of stories that predates Lovecraft and one of the first introductions to the concept of cosmic horror and “Great Old Ones”. The King In Yellow, Carcosa and black stars were famously referenced on True Detectives Season 1.
Play something that references kings and/or stars, preferably black, and/or references or is related to the colour yellow.

I'm going for what I thought would be the obvious pick.

King Crimson - Starless and Bible Black

kings ✔️
star ✔️
black ✔️
the cover is yellowish ✔️
MTUtODQ0OS5qcGVn.jpeg

I loved putting together my short story challenge last year, so I'm really excited to be on this side of it! I'm going to try to read all these too. I need some cosmic horror in my life!!! Love the theme, @Turbo!

Thanks so much! I was struggling with whether it was a good idea or not. It came to me last January because I was playing the Arkham Horror Card Game in solo mode to pass the time and I started looking into the mythos behind it. Thought it would make a good theme but I didn't know if I was nerding out way too much... but then I figured you guys are all pretty much fellow geeks in your own ways ;). Went through a bunch of iterations where I was only using Lovecraft stories to begin with, but I felt it was better incorporating newer works in the genre (especially given that Lovecraft the man is a controversial person). The "tentacle" thing is what solidified it for me as something that might fit together.

Day 1 - The King in Yellow

I only made it to day 18 trying to pick up the monthly threads last month but I'm gonna try again this month. I haven't been buying lately, and these really help me enjoy my collection by examining what I have. So thanks to @Turbo and all the other thread creators.

The Skatalites - Foundation Ska

Songs on the comp:

King Solomon
Magic Star
Black Sunday

Plus the black and yellow cover and the standard black and yellow checkerboard prevalent through ska

PXL_20230902_211929441.MP-EDIT.jpg

The Strokes - Room on Fire

And the book Meet Me In The Bathroom

PXL_20230903_002332502.jpg

Play something related to sanity/insanity and/or about the frigid cold of winter and/or makes you think of winter and/or aliens.

1. Going crazy and freezing to death in a winter blizzard...

The Shining Original Sound Track

20191101_031419.jpg

2. In the winter you can listen to this alien album and watch me jumpstart my car...

Guided By Voices - Alien Lanes

20221210_140615.jpg

Play something that references a weird creature and/or a legend that you might find in a dark book in the library at Miskatonic University and/or play something that is based on a book, or references books and/or libraries

2023-09-0309.23.356867574196361460325.jpg

2023-09-0309.24.273300158220582826302.jpg

Look at the stars
Look how they shine for you
And everything you do
Yeah, they were all yellow…

Coldplay - Parachutes

IMG_5599.jpeg

Play something that references a weird creature and/or a legend that you might find in a dark book in the library at Miskatonic University and/or play something that is based on a book, or references books and/or libraries

I got a weird creature for ya.

The Cramps - Stay Sick!

IMG_5600.jpeg

One of the most influential Lovecraft stories, featuring the discovery of mysterious alien ruins that the protagonists cannot understand, a trope that reappeared in countless sci-fi works like Alien, The Thing, or The Expanse.
Stone cold crazy!
Queen - Sheer Heart Attack
IMG_5601.jpeg

Back