Strange Musical Tales: The September 2023 Vinyl Spin Challenge Thread

Day 19 - THE CALL OF CTHULHU (Lovecraft, 1926)
Play an album that cannot be described easily and/or that spans multiple different styles and/or genres and/or play something that references or is about the color green and/or tentacles and/or aliens.

Probably the best fit this one is ever gonna encounter...

Veruca Salt - Eight Arms To Hold You

20230920_232253.jpg

You got tentacles and I reckon Earthcrosser could have alien connotations...

Day 18 - UZUMAKI (THE SPIRAL) (Junji Ito, 1998)
Unsettling manga set in a small Japanese village that centers around the strange effects of spirals on the town folks.
Play something that features spirals and/or is related to Japan and/or comes from Japan.

Ok, I'm slightly cheating on the one. I have a ton of Japanese music to pick from, but I just got this great pif from @Matt M and it has an almost spiral on it that I'm going to count because I really want to spin this one.

Josh Rouse - 1972
IMG20230921095252.jpg
IMG20230921095303.jpg

Day 18 - UZUMAKI (THE SPIRAL) (Junji Ito, 1998)
Unsettling manga set in a small Japanese village that centers around the strange effects of spirals on the town folks.
Play something that features spirals and/or is related to Japan and/or comes from Japan.

Ok, I'm slightly cheating on the one. I have a ton of Japanese music to pick from, but I just got this great pif from @Matt M and it has an almost spiral on it that I'm going to count because I really want to spin this one.

Josh Rouse - 1972
View attachment 182857
View attachment 182858
@Matt M this album is fantastic. The track Flight Attendant just crushes it. I'm having flashbacks to how great he was live back then. I'm surprised he didn't take off and get big, the talent and song writing is there.

The story is presented as a manuscript by a narrator that put together notes left behind by a deceased relative. This is where the extra-terrestrial being Cthulhu makes an appearance. Cthulu is referred to a “thing that cannot be described”, although hints are provided in that it is a green, sticky spawn of the stars with flabby claws, a squid-head with writhing feelers and appears like a stumbling mountain.
Play an album that cannot be described easily and/or that spans multiple different styles and/or genres and/or play something that references or is about the color green and/or tentacles and/or aliens.

Since I kind of cheated on the last one, I'm hitting this one on multiple angles.

Ozric Tentacles - There is Nothing

It's green, it's by a tentacled band, it's a crazy mash of styles, it has songs about space (where the aliens are).
IMG20230921103846.jpg
IMG20230921104013.jpg
IMG20230921103856.jpg

@Matt M this album is fantastic. The track Flight Attendant just crushes it. I'm having flashbacks to how great he was live back then. I'm surprised he didn't take off and get big, the talent and song writing is there.
Totally agree. Still great live, and not sure how he didn't get more recognition on this record and the next.

Day 21 - HELLBOY (Mike Mignola, 1994)
Hellboy draws inspiration from cosmic horror on many levels, whether it is the grotesque creatures, Great Old Ones, the gothic themes, connections to other worlds and dimensions and yes, lots and lots of drawings of tentacles.
Play something that references hell and/or demons and/or the occult and/or frogs and/or something with tentacles.

This album features Friend of the Devil, which could certainly describe the BPRD and their off/on relationship with Hellboy. I'd also like to think that Roger the Homonuculus would be considered as being "Grateful Dead" himself, given his not-quite-alive state and appreciation for what the BPRD offered him.

And I gotta say, the Guillermo Del Toro Hellboy movies are a must watch. Ron Perlman was perfect in the role.

Grateful Dead ~ American Beauty

IMG_3377.jpeg

The story is presented as a manuscript by a narrator that put together notes left behind by a deceased relative. This is where the extra-terrestrial being Cthulhu makes an appearance. Cthulu is referred to a “thing that cannot be described”, although hints are provided in that it is a green, sticky spawn of the stars with flabby claws, a squid-head with writhing feelers and appears like a stumbling mountain.

Green vinyl it is

Grinderman - S/T

IMG_5719.jpeg

Hellboy draws inspiration from cosmic horror on many levels, whether it is the grotesque creatures, Great Old Ones, the gothic themes, connections to other worlds and dimensions and yes, lots and lots of drawings of tentacles.
Play something that references hell and/or demons and/or the occult and/or frogs and/or something with tentacles.

Black Sabbath "Sabbath Bloody Sabbath"
(1973 Warner Brothers / Vertigo ; 2011 reissue)
So many opportunities to play Black Sabbath this month, but this is the day. This hits several of the prompts. The Drew Struzan album cover alone hits hell, demons and the occult.

IMG_0461.JPG

Day 20 - THE SHADOW OUT OF TIME (Lovecraft, 1934)
The story introduces the Ythians, an alien race that can travel through space and time by switching bodies with other beings. They are long extinct but continue to persist through human minds.
Play something that references time and/or the past and/or the future and/or aliens.

The Brian Jonestown Massacre - The Future is Your Past

IMG_5721.jpeg

I wish I was more artistically inclined so could use these in a cool way:

image.jpg

Edit: swapped the original slightly blurry pic of the album

Last edited:

Super Furry Animals - Radiator

I'm continuing SFA month with this one, which includes the track "Demons." Also Hellboy-adjacent are songs referencing spies, Chupacabras, and mountain people.

20230921_182355.jpg

Ras G – The El-Aylien Tapes Parts I & II
20230921_175855.jpg

• It's hip hop, but not really like any other hip hop. It's also not dub or techno or free jazz, but it is heavily influenced by, and elemental, of them all - and Sun Ra!
  • "Green Curry" is one of the tracks on side B
  • A different spelling, but aliens are in the title

Day 22 - FROM BEYOND (Lovecraft, 1920)
The narrator relates his meeting with scientist Crawford Tillinghast, who created an electronic device that emits resonance waves allowing people to perceive other dimensions.
Play something that relates to science and/or includes an electronic instrument and/or a theremin.

This one kicks off with a theremin, has electronic instruments, and under the right circumstances allows you to perceive other dimensions.

Portishead ~ Dummy

IMG_3386.jpeg

Day 22 - FROM BEYOND (Lovecraft, 1920)
The narrator relates his meeting with scientist Crawford Tillinghast, who created an electronic device that emits resonance waves allowing people to perceive other dimensions.
Play something that relates to science and/or includes an electronic instrument and/or a theremin.

This one kicks off with a theremin, has electronic instruments, and under the right circumstances allows you to perceive other dimensions.

Portishead ~ Dummy

View attachment 182948

Ahhhhhh.... scooped!!

Back