sleater-kinney is dead; long live (the) sleater-kinney (thread)

Uh...I don't think people are saying Corin and Carrie feel bad about the new direction or that they didn't want this, but it seems almost evident that Janet does feel that way. She specifically points to the new direction in her decision for leaving, without saying too much about it. Sure, maybe that's not solely her reason for leaving. It's speculation at this point. But I could certainly see her feeling like she wasn't given enough to do, whereas the other members feel great about the new sound.

Here's where I am, as a passive fan, which I understand is a different place than some of you. If 2/3 of a trio are of a like mind to go a different way with things and there isn't a middle ground to be found, this is bound to be the way things go. Blaming Annie is easy, but I don't think it's fair either. Personally, I love the new singles and this evolution of sound. It is very different though, so I get why hardcore fans would be a bit put off. It's sad to see a long-time group fracture, but I don't think this is the end of SK.

I have no idea what it will sound like, or whether I’ll be into it or not. What I do know is that their live shows won’t be nearly as fun.

i don’t even think people like Teee etc are speculating much here. When a band member leaves a group and posts a statement and i quote... “The band is heading in a new direction and it is time for me to move on.". That isn’t ambiguous - she doesn’t like the new stuff!

Janet signs her post, "The Drummer"
Carrie and Corin sign their post, "Sleater Kinney". Not "Carrie and Corin"

We are not in the know. But from the outside, those can definitely be interpreted as passive aggressive lobs at each other.

I have seen Janet Weiss as the drummer for SK for the last time. I wish I knew that at the time. Actually, it's probably best I didn't. I would have sobbed so loud that CB would have stopped the show to slap me out of it.

such a power flex to bow out of the band during promotion after you realize you don't like the trash album they made

such a power flex to bow out of the band during promotion after you realize you don't like the trash album they made
I don't think this will be a "trash album." Jury's out of course. We've only got two tracks to go on. I remember when Kid A first dropped and so many "fans" I knew were all like, "WTF IS THIS BLEEP BLOP BULLSHIT?!" Not saying SK is putting out their Kid A here, but just that we don't really know what the future holds.

Back