Shrink wrap

feesrevenge

Do you keep your new records in the shrink wrap.... just open the end to get the record out or do you rip it all off? What if you get an older record from the 70’s/80’s with the shrink still on?

Oddly enough, I've started clipping the hype stickers from the shrink and tossing them in the jacket.....but I do pull off the shrink wrap.

Same here. I remove the shrink (I love being able to feel the cover of a record, esp. if there's embossing etc.), keep the hyper stickers and put everything in a new outer sleeve (Blake sleeve with adhesive flap).

Last edited:
I mostly remove shrink w/ a couple of exceptions. For example, I have both OG copies of El-P I'll Sleep When You're Dead and Fantastic Damage in shrink w/ hype stickers (and FanDam is signed under shrink) - there is no way that shrink is getting removed on purpose. But those are the rare exceptions. Then there are times that I don't remove shrink 'cause I'm just not opening the album (e.g. a spare copy of Frank Ocean Endless that I've never opened).

Hype Stickers - I peel them off of the shrink and stick them on the protective outer sleeve; or, if it doesn't seem like it's going to cleanly separate from the shrink then, yes, I cut it out and save.

I never remove the shrink...always take the record out, replace the inner sleeve with a MoFi sleeve and put the album sleeve in a plastic outer sleeve. Then I store the record behind the album sleeve within the plastic outer...
This is the correct answer
Shrink wrap off. Hype sticker clipped and saved in sleeve. New poly lined inner and new poly outer, with records stored behind sleeve. Job done.
I feel like placing them behind the jacket has more potential to damage the jacket. Especially on 2 or 3 Lp releases.

I can’t stand the shrink. I immediately rip it off whether it’s new or old records. I tried saving the hype sticker for awhile but found it a little pointless. I did this thing for awhile (and I’ll get back to it one day) where I put a little post it note on the bottom corner of the outer sleeve stating which specific release it is and if it’s a color or special pressing.

I feel like placing them behind the jacket has more potential to damage the jacket. Especially on 2 or 3 Lp releases.
I’ve seen people’s records get warped by keeping them in the sleeve in shrink. I don’t think any of my sleeves have gotten damaged as they are barely touched when I take a record out to play it. They always remain in the outer sleeve. No spline damage either from taking the record in and out and no ring wear on the front. As long as you aren’t stuffing your shelves so that the records are hard to take out, you should be fine.

The only downside is that it does take up a little more space physically. But I like never having to take the album sleeve out to access my records.

I usually keep them in the shrink when I can even though I know it's a bad idea. I don't know why I do it. I even do it for gatefolds which makes even less sense.

I’ve seen people’s records get warped by keeping them in the sleeve in shrink. I don’t think any of my sleeves have gotten damaged as they are barely touched when I take a record out to play it. They always remain in the outer sleeve. No spline damage either from taking the record in and out and no ring wear on the front. As long as you aren’t stuffing your shelves so that the records are hard to take out, you should be fine.

The only downside is that it does take up a little more space physically. But I like never having to take the album sleeve out to access my records.
I guess I just feel it looses its structural integrity if the record is out of the sleeve.

I personally like taking the record out of the jacket. It’s part of the whole process for me. I also keep the inner facing up so I have to take it out to get the record as opposed to having the opening line up with the jacket opening

On single-sleeve albums I usually keep the shrink, but only because I'm too cheap to order new sleeves.

But if it's a gatefold, then the shrink goes bye bye and I'll find an outer sleeve for it.

Guess you never appreciate gatefold artwork. That's a shame.
haha I suppose SOMETIMES i get rid of the shrink...but more often than not, I keep the shrink on. There are definitely some gatefolds that I haven't opened though...should probably get around to that :LOL:

Back