Share Your Music + Upcoming Concerts

scotthilk

Hey all! I thought it would be nice to have a page for other artists and musicians to share their work if they would like. Similarly, it would be a cool way to promote local shows.

Whatcha got recorded? Whatcha got coming up?

SKITN.

SKITN’s reggae beats and rock edge are an invitation. The five-piece band engages its audiences with laid back energy that creates a party where everyone is invited. SKITN has played with national acts such as Slightly Stoopid, Steel Pulse, Pepper, Long Beach Shortbus, Pato Banton, Half Pint, The Aggrolites, Plain White T's, The Dirty Heads w/ Rome, and Authority Zero. The band’s good-time philosophy – influenced by reggae, rock, island jams, ska, hip hop, and punk – comes to life on stage with Chris Calvo’s guitar riffs and Fernando Hinojosa’s improvisational keyboards and percussion. Scott Hilkemeyer (bass) and Kelly Velasquez (drums) cook up the groove, and Earl Rosales delivers SKITN’s celebratory lyrics with cool, soulful enthusiasm. Slice of the good life songs, like “Late Night Drive,” stick in your head like a favorite song you’ve never heard before. For over ten years SKITN has relished showing their guests a good time. But it’s not clichéd rock ‘n roll hedonism. There’s a spiritual element to the party – having a good time is good for your soul. And SKITN’s guests keep coming back – an ever-growing, loyal fan base follows SKITN to the next party. If you’re having a party, Keep It SKITN!

Music: iTunes / Spotify / Facebook / everywhere.

I make music as well, under the name Joshua McCormack.
As a live band, we are currently Joshua McCormack and the Suspense, but live band stuff is obviously on hold!

How about a bio?

Forged in the fires of Midwestern open mic nights, where he could reasonably play a Cole Porter cover sandwiched between Pulp and D'angelo songs, Joshua McCormack sounds, well, different from typical singer-songwriters. From Chicagoland to Tucson he traveled with his family, spending nights in storm stricken single neighborhood towns somewhere in the panhandle, until he found himself in the Sonoran desert.

Now he's writing songs again.

From the acoustic leanings of Joshua McCormack presents Holiday Girl, to the raw ballads and theatrical epics of The Funeral of the Siren, to the electronic/rock/pop/blues/folk hybrid of The Phantom King, he's always pushed himself in new directions of both songwriting and sound.

His newest release, Dark Corners of the Night, blends the variety found on his previous three albums into a journey through stomping blues, mechanized pop tunes, vocoder love songs, and hopeful ballads of longing and leaving. Through it all, his versatile voice and particular way with words invite the listener deeper into his world.

Joshua McCormack and The Suspense is:
Joshua McCormack - Vocals and guitar
Alex Masliev - Bass
Elizabeth Soflin - Drums, percussion, and vocals

Bandcamp / Spotify / Apple Music / Website

Also, in this current situation, I've been doing a lot of livestream shows from my house. Usually they focus on my originals, with a few covers thrown in. The last couple have been performing entire albums in my discography, but the other week I had an idea to cover classic (IMO) albums. So the first one of those is this Saturday, 6PM PDT.

Joshua McCormack presents Jeff Buckley's "Grace"

Great idea for a thread. I'm not comfortable advertising for my band elsewhere on this forum, I love it here too much to be 'that guy.'

So most recently, my band recorded a song during this time away from each other. Honestly, I think it came out really well, all considered. Each member recorded their part at home and we did a 'good enough' mix for it. The video explains it a bit more.

Also, we put out our second full length album back in September, released digitally and on vinyl, we didn't do CDs this time.

And in my signature you'll see a link to Juniper Surfer Records. That's a label site I started on Bandcamp to curate new and old underground Michigan music. There's an eclectic mix of music there - punk, ska, jam band, singer-songwriter - spanning from the 80s until now.

🍻

Hey N&G fam! My musical duo “10 Strings” will be doing a live set tonight. Stream at 8pm PST on the Instagram account “burndeal” - hope to see some of you there! :)

We will be playing everything from Sublime to Daft Punk, from Ray Charles to Sugar Ray, from Incubus to CAKE, from The Strokes to Amy Winehouse, from Slightly Stoopid to Paul Simon, from Blondie to Bob Marley, from Dave Matthews to Eric Clapton, from Blackstreet to The Commodores, and from Dispatch to SKITN!!!

Hey N&G fam! My musical duo “10 Strings” will be doing a live set tonight. Stream at 8pm PST on the Instagram account “burndeal” - hope to see some of you there! :)

We will be playing everything from Sublime to Daft Punk, from Ray Charles to Sugar Ray, from Incubus to CAKE, from The Strokes to Amy Winehouse, from Slightly Stoopid to Paul Simon, from Blondie to Bob Marley, from Dave Matthews to Eric Clapton, from Blackstreet to The Commodores, and from Dispatch to SKITN!!!
How long is your set? I’m doing a half hour open mic slot at 8, but would like to catch your stuff after.

I really miss playing music live, so in this time I've been livestreaming pretty consistently. I've gathered most of the non-casual ones (where I just show up on FB/IG going live) and put them on my youtube channel.

I've had a lot of fun with these, there are a bunch of my own albums played through in a solo fashion, but I also did a few dedicated to a single artist. I did a livestream of Jeff Buckley's "Grace," an all Tom Waits one, and an all David Bowie one. The Waits and Bowie ones contain a lot of "interpretations."

If you're bored sometime, and want to check out my live stream archive, it's here:

Yeah. Something like this. Just looking for suggestions on how to start possibly recording my own music at home but without much musical knowledge.
Are you starting from scratch? If so, there are some great resources (articles, YouTube vids) for building a "home studio" on the cheap.

Assuming you have nothing, may I suggest these as basics (I've not actually used the interface, but I've seen it well-reviewed)....

Focusrite Scarlett Solo Audio Interface (~110) - well-regarded at the price point and comes with Ableton Live Lite and Pro Tools Creative Pack softwares (basically, starter versions of each). Within those you should have quick access to sounds and loops. There is also a three-month subscription to Splice Sounds with purchase (per description: "Get access to millions of high-quality, royalty-free one-shots, loops, and presets, with new releases daily") - I have no experience to attest to quality of Splice Sounds but, if it comes with purchase, not a lot of skin in the game; and, if you like, it I have no idea the price for a continued subscription.

Then just get yourself a condenser mic and a pop filter and you've got your vocals.

You'll want some good studio headphones (or - more expensive - studio monitor speakers) for mixing.

There are plenty of online loops and beats you can manipulate; but I wouldn't put picking up some electronic instruments past yourself, even without much "musical knowledge". I'd suggest the Korg Volca series for an inexpensive entry into making your own sounds/beats. As well, some touchpad-based synths (e.g. Korg Kaossilator) and/or user-friendly sequencers/samplers (e.g. Roland SP-404). A lot of these you can get cheaper used on places like Reverb.com or even your bigger sellers like Guitar Center.

You could realistically get your recording and some entry-level sound/beat manipulation going for sub-500.

All about this thread! Streaming is where it’s at, especially now, and there’s no reason why other N&G people (aka me) shouldn’t be watching and enjoying what you’re up to. Adding y’all on my socials/streaming sites. 🤘🤘🤘🤘
Edit: I didn’t realize this thread was started last year! Thanks for bumping it.

Are you starting from scratch? If so, there are some great resources (articles, YouTube vids) for building a "home studio" on the cheap.

Assuming you have nothing, may I suggest these as basics (I've not actually used the interface, but I've seen it well-reviewed)....

Focusrite Scarlett Solo Audio Interface (~110) - well-regarded at the price point and comes with Ableton Live Lite and Pro Tools Creative Pack softwares (basically, starter versions of each). Within those you should have quick access to sounds and loops. There is also a three-month subscription to Splice Sounds with purchase (per description: "Get access to millions of high-quality, royalty-free one-shots, loops, and presets, with new releases daily") - I have no experience to attest to quality of Splice Sounds but, if it comes with purchase, not a lot of skin in the game; and, if you like, it I have no idea the price for a continued subscription.

Then just get yourself a condenser mic and a pop filter and you've got your vocals.

You'll want some good studio headphones (or - more expensive - studio monitor speakers) for mixing.

There are plenty of online loops and beats you can manipulate; but I wouldn't put picking up some electronic instruments past yourself, even without much "musical knowledge". I'd suggest the Korg Volca series for an inexpensive entry into making your own sounds/beats. As well, some touchpad-based synths (e.g. Korg Kaossilator) and/or user-friendly sequencers/samplers (e.g. Roland SP-404). A lot of these you can get cheaper used on places like Reverb.com or even your bigger sellers like Guitar Center.

You could realistically get your recording and some entry-level sound/beat manipulation going for sub-500.

Yeah. I'm just getting started and don't have a lot of musical experience. I do have Garageband but I don't know how well that would work.

Yeah. I'm just getting started and don't have a lot of musical experience. I do have Garageband but I don't know how well that would work.

So I mentioned some of those synth/electronic based instruments cause I believe you mentioned loops earlier. Your not going to get “organic” sounds out of any of them really but if you’re looking to sing you may want to key in on something with an arpeggiator. I don’t want to assume you know nothing so forgive me if do know this - but an arpeggio breaks a chord into a single-noted sequence (ascending/descending) of its composite notes. It’s nice because it gives you space around it that a chord may not while simultaneously providing the harmony and resolution and the implication of the chord the arpeggio is sounding that our ears so desperately want to hear. I think if you’re singing the space I’m talking about would be nice for working space for whatever you’re doing. And the nice thing is an arpeggiator will do that for you based on whatever chords you pick and then you can create sequences of multiple arpeggios.

also for web based go here:

I posted about this site elsewhere. The link is to something I made in a short time. But it can give you ideas of building melodies, progressions, beats, etc. Plus an account is free and you can export midis so you may be able to use them on GarageBand for further manipulation (never used GB so I don’t know)

I'm releasing a new album, "Lights Out 4 Baby Grand," next Friday (May 7) on bandcamp, spotify, etc. It's pretty straight-forward for me, surprisingly acoustic guitar-based and pretty personal lyrically. Recorded it in a few weeks this past January as a method of maintaining sobriety.

Last week I released a single from it called "Your Doorstep." Here's a good old lyric video!

I'm releasing a new album, "Lights Out 4 Baby Grand," next Friday (May 7) on bandcamp, spotify, etc. It's pretty straight-forward for me, surprisingly acoustic guitar-based and pretty personal lyrically. Recorded it in a few weeks this past January as a method of maintaining sobriety.

Last week I released a single from it called "Your Doorstep." Here's a good old lyric video!

Congrats! Single sounds awesome!

Back