Room Treatments and Speaker Placement

After 10 weeks and 2 days, my GIK order has finally arrived! As expected, my wife we very caught off guard be the size, despite the fact that I showed her measurements before I put in the order.

I won't be able to really mess with them until this weekend, but my initial impressions are that the build quality is a little lackluster - especially after the long wait. Once you have them in place they do look good, but upon close inspection you see some exposed glue, fabric could be pulled tighter in some areas, base plates are a little crooked, tattered corners. It's just clearly a rush job. I'd day a 6/10. Not enough to fight them for a return, but enough for me to consider other options in the future.

Excited to start to experiment with placement and get some of my soundstage back (hopefully). We'll stick with this for a few months and see if I decide to do some more down the line.

After 10 weeks and 2 days, my GIK order has finally arrived! As expected, my wife we very caught off guard be the size, despite the fact that I showed her measurements before I put in the order.

I won't be able to really mess with them until this weekend, but my initial impressions are that the build quality is a little lackluster - especially after the long wait. Once you have them in place they do look good, but upon close inspection you see some exposed glue, fabric could be pulled tighter in some areas, base plates are a little crooked, tattered corners. It's just clearly a rush job. I'd day a 6/10. Not enough to fight them for a return, but enough for me to consider other options in the future.

Excited to start to experiment with placement and get some of my soundstage back (hopefully). We'll stick with this for a few months and see if I decide to do some more down the line.
I thought the same of the ATS stuff tbh, It's a good argument for DIY if you have the means and resources and lumber is available. I'm sure they must have a horrific backlog.

Last edited:
Ok, initial thoughts are in!
First off, the traps help, but they are far from a magic bullet. The biggest difference they’ve made is the 50hz null in my room still exists, but it’s within a more narrow area now. By adding the bass traps and moving my chair back about a foot and half, I picked up about 10db in the problem frequency. Once they are in place, they do look pretty good, but I’ll also include some pictures of the corners and fabric right out of the box. I could take more pictures, but I’m honestly tired of moving stuff.
EFE77FC4-8E28-4910-8B3A-135BC40C46BB.jpeg
Overall, smaller rooms can be tough. These do enough to stay, but I think it’s important people go in with the right expectations. I had high hopes, but I also expected this to only do so much. In an ideal world a service would exist where someone would come with a truck load of treatments and spend a day trying various things to find the perfect combo for your room. Dream big right, lol.

I tried several placements because I’ve been in situations where placements that make no sense work. Tried front corners, back corners, one front/one back, directly behind listening position, and I even pulled out the racks and tried them front and center. Ultimately because these are really attacking low frequencies in a small room they seem to make about the same impact wherever I place them.

I’ll probably try some more things in the future, but right now this is better and the imageing is very good again. I actually tamed the bass null the most but pushing the speakers towards the corners, but it really killed depth and had that kind of 3 blob imagining. I much prefer depth and a nice wide sound stage, so happy with this configuration for now.

Ripped corner out of the box
E1C6BD28-58BE-4D91-A421-C423298065F7.jpeg

Those one is harder to see, but the base/top plates aren’t all on straight. There was also some exposed glue on one of the corners, and fabric staples are fully visible on the back sides. Also the fabric is generally looser than I was expecting, but oh well.
27BA9906-C642-4974-BD3A-9BCBA2381690.jpeg

Again, you don’t notice any of this once it’s in position, but up close these seem a little more DIY than I was expecting. But then again, it’s not like that cost anything near something like this… https://www.thecableco.com/victotem-ultra-vmt.html

Back