Restocks/Represses

What’s the best intro album to Low? I’ve never really listened to them but feel like I need to change that…

Things We Lost In the Fire is up there as far as their “classic” records, but it depends on what style you prefer.

I personally love The Invisible Way with its Jeff Tweedy production and heavier piano, even if it’s not as critically applauded. I tend to play this more than any of the others. It’s also got some of my favorite Mimi Parker songs.

What’s the best intro album to Low? I’ve never really listened to them but feel like I need to change that…
This Destroyer isn't a terrible place to start but knowing your audiophile ass you should grab an AAA copy of Things We Lost In The Fire to kick off your exploration.

Keep in mind that they evolve into a completely different sound at the end of their run than they were at the beginning so if their earlier albums don't click I would suggest jumping ahead to their Sub Pop albums.

it wasn't till i heard "the great destroyer" that i became obsessed with low. i since have collected all but one of their LPs, but that album was definitely the gateway drug for me. the material is phenomenal (just listen to "when i go deaf" 😭) and the production is arguably more expressive than their previous recordings. they were the band that got me through lockdown.

it's all fantastic but my ranking would be something like:

the great destroyer
double negative
things we lost in the fire
ones and sixes
the curtain hits the cast
trust
hey what
drums and guns
i could live in hope
c'mon
long division
secret name
the invisible way
songs for a dead pilot

on the slowcore front, i actually think early low is a little closer to idaho, red house painters, galaxie 500, and bluetile lounge than the stuff that numero has been reissuing, though it's all great!

I consider the entire run between 1999 and 2007 to be flawless. Any of these, but the secret name/things we lost/trust trifecta is IMO perfect.

secret name
things we lost in the fire
trust
great destroyer
drums and guns

I would also heavily recommend the 1999 "Christmas" EP which was their first real brush with "fame" when Macy's used their "Little Drummer Boy" on one of their Christmas ads ages ago. If you can find it (and it's hard to find,) the b-sides collection "a lifetime of temporary relief" is wonderful, but it's only available on CD (many of their singles are cd-only, and you'd miss out on such gems as their smiths cover ("last night I dreamt that somebody loved me") or their pink floyd cover ("fearless").

I don't know if it would be familiar to others that have posted, but some might be interested in the Brainwashed Eye (the video arm of the brainwashed.com site) interview w/ Low but that might be too inside-baseball for someone new to the band.

+1 on galaxie 500 and codeine mentions.

Last edited:
Thanks y’all! I got some listening to do!
If you enjoy Low you can start down the "Slowcore" rabbit hole and check out some of the other luminaries from the style.

Codeine
Duster
Bedhead
Karate
I like Karate and Bedhead. Regrettably I PIFed some Bedhead records awhile ago as I didn’t listen to them much but now I like them more. Also just picked up the Galaxie 500 albums recently which I dig! Codeine and Duster are on my list to check out too. Might have to hit up that Numero sale…

Looks like Phish’s A Picture of Nectar is gonna be a RSD Essential release this coming this Friday, 08/04…

Last edited:
Back