Record Store Day 2023

I like Sirens but when everything you put out is good I guess something has to be low on the list. I think I prefer it over Reunions if I'm being honest

Reunions took me an ODDLY long time to really come around on. I never disliked it, but I didn't absolutely love it immediately the way I have everything else for the past decade or so.

I wish I could have seen him in smaller venues.

I like Sirens but when everything you put out is good I guess something has to be low on the list. I think I prefer it over Reunions if I'm being honest
I know some people saw him in smaller venues than I have but the Christmas after he released Southeastern he did a Salvation Army benefit show at Mercy Lounge and Sturgill Simpson opened up for him. That’ll probably be the best I’ll ever get.B045815B-DDFE-41B1-93D4-5B79A0E7CBD3.jpeg
As for Sirens I think it’s by far his worst. Reunions isn’t perfect but there is some fine songwriting on that album and some rockers on there. Although I think Running With Our Eyes Closed is one of the worst songs he’s ever written. But I love Overseas and It Get’s Easier and who doesn’t love Dreamsicle.

To anyone new to Isbell I recommend his two live albums which I think do the best job of showcasing the hits as well as being not sober and sober.

Damnit why can't there be an Isbell version of Cherry Tree. I want more live albums.
I second this. Although unless they did them from his Ryman shows, you’d never get any deep cuts.

I know some people saw him in smaller venues than I have but the Christmas after he released Southeastern he did a Salvation Army benefit show at Mercy Lounge and Sturgill Simpson opened up for him. That’ll probably be the best I’ll ever get.View attachment 166046
As for Sirens I think it’s by far his worst. Reunions isn’t perfect but there is some fine songwriting on that album and some rockers on there. Although I think Running With Our Eyes Closed is one of the worst songs he’s ever written. But I love Overseas and It Get’s Easier and who doesn’t love Dreamsicle.

What a killer show that must've been! Both acts!!

"It Gets Easier" is *chef's kiss*

I know some people saw him in smaller venues than I have but the Christmas after he released Southeastern he did a Salvation Army benefit show at Mercy Lounge and Sturgill Simpson opened up for him. That’ll probably be the best I’ll ever get.View attachment 166046
Yeah that must have been really good. I was bummed I couldn't see him on the tour with FJM because he's a favorite and I hadn't seen either at the time. Then covid caused me to lose 4th row seats. Luckily I ended up seeing him in an old venue in Seattle last year with Mike McCready as the special guest so we'll worth the wait.
I second this. Although unless they did them from his Ryman shows, you’d never get any deep cuts.
I mean Live from Alabama and Live from the Ryman so yes?

The one time I saw Isbell wasn't the most ideal setting. It was at an amphitheater in the daylight because he was playing before Sheryl Crow, Bob Dylan, and Willie Nelson. Not the best conditions to judge his show, and I'm not a huge fan to begin with. I like the run of DBT albums he was on, and some of his solo stuff, but haven't spent enough time on them.

Sadly, as a fat man, t-shirts are very seldom an option for me at shows. And I don't really have anywhere to put posters, but that sounds tempting nevertheless.
I feel your pain. The great irony of this is that when artists offer tees 3xl and above, they sell out instantly. I had that discussion with Port Merch who hanldles Jason and Amanda's merch and they admitted as much, sometimes offer larger sizes. I find a lot of artists can order larger sizes if you email and ask.

He played Chicago a lot during the first two album cycles so I saw him in a variety of tiny bars, theaters opening for other bigger acts like Son Volt and even a couple liquor stores.

His big trick at the time was to never have a slide available so that fans would buy him a shot and he’d use the shot glass to play slide. Needless to say he played a lot of slide and was usually a mess by the end of the show.

Those early solo days of his will always have a soft spot in my heart and I love those albums, but I’m also really happy for him that he found sobriety, health and happiness in tandem with success. I hope everyone finds a journey with him that means something to them. He’s an immense talent and I’m excited some of you are just discovering him.

As someone from Muscle Shoals im just sitting back watching all y'all enjoy the Isbell like we have since he was fat and wearing puka shell necklaces
First time I saw the Truckers, the man came on stage with a bottle of whiskey and a $5 Footlong and proceeded to crush the sandwich by the time it was his turn to sing (third song of the set)

If you’d told me in 2007 that there’d eventually be a global pandemic and every member of the 400 Unit would survive it and could be described as “thriving” even, I’d have punched you in the face.

It’s remarkable how well adjusted they seem now

If you’d told me in 2007 that there’d eventually be a global pandemic and every member of the 400 Unit would survive it and could be described as “thriving” even, I’d have punched you in the face.

It’s remarkable how well adjusted they seem now

Not enough people know the origins of the name 'the 400 Unit" and how darkly hilarious it is

To anyone new to Isbell I recommend his two live albums which I think do the best job of showcasing the hits as well as being not sober and sober.

Damnit why can't there be an Isbell version of Cherry Tree. I want more live albums.

On bandcamp he has some more live shows available. Including this amazingly fun one with And Friends in Muscle Shoals where they play famous songs that were recorded there.

Last edited:
Would be nice to have Shivaree's albums, at least the first two.

Speaking of Cherry Tree....the only time I saw him was at There's No Leaving New York at Forest Hills.

isbFH.jpg

Back