Jerry Garcia Band
Bobbie Gentry
Karen O & Willie Nelson
Charlie Parker
John Prine Live
St Vincent
Lindsey Stirling
Dinner Party Dessert

The more I look at the list, this could either be a very cheap experience (I think there's only two I feel are must haves)...or very pricy depending how deep into the want list I would go.
Restraint and JOMO.

I look at it this way...

1. I take out all the junk - pic discs, shitty comps, redundant singles or pressings of obscure mixes, etc.
2. I consider that many, if not most, items that come from majors and major indies for RSD are things that wouldn't sell any other day.
3. I think long and hard about live albums, with the same criterea - would they have put this out if not for RSD? The Aretha yes, many others, no. I think back to feeling scammed at last year's Bill Evans (and to a slightly lesser extent) Rollins releases which were way overpriced and would have sunk like a dead whale if released any other day.
4. I consider the Doors well to have run dry years ago. Grateful Dead I have to think hard about. Complete Olympia when the original double set and another single disc were done beautifully AAA a few years ago? I try to avoid releases that are just milking the FOMO cow. Like the Parker set - 1940's fidelity - and sure to be way overpriced.
5. I thnk of who is releasing it. The Ann Peebles and Al Green titles are good ones, but the label releasing them are sure to be poor.

Easy. I'm down to 10 titles. Then my rule is - stick to it, no exceptions.

Restraint and JOMO.

I look at it this way...

1. I take out all the junk - pic discs, shitty comps, redundant singles or pressings of obscure mixes, etc.
2. I consider that many, if not most, items that come from majors and major indies for RSD are things that wouldn't sell any other day.
3. I think long and hard about live albums, with the same criterea - would they have put this out if not for RSD? The Aretha yes, many others, no. I think back to feeling scammed at last year's Bill Evans (and to a slightly lesser extent) Rollins releases which were way overpriced and would have sunk like a dead whale if released any other day.
4. I consider the Doors well to have run dry years ago. Grateful Dead I have to think hard about. Complete Olympia when the original double set and another single disc were done beautifully AAA a few years ago? I try to avoid releases that are just milking the FOMO cow. Like the Parker set - 1940's fidelity - and sure to be way overpriced.
5. I thnk of who is releasing it. The Ann Peebles and Al Green titles are good ones, but the label releasing them are sure to be poor.

Easy. I'm down to 10 titles. Then my rule is - stick to it, no exceptions.
You’re still talking about purchasing double digits RSD releases and likely spending at minimum $300.00. Not exactly as an austere approach as your “rules” are suggesting.

10 out of 450? For vinyl purchasing, that defines austere!
No one. But my points stand. There are just way, way too many releases put out for RSD that wouldn't make it in a minute outside RSD. And they can, and do, overprice them as well. RSD is FOMO day, and everyone should take a step back and think about what is really vital on the list.

Not a lot of must haves for me. I pre-ordered that Red Hot & Blue - Tribute to Cole Porter at least 8 months ago, and it kept getting delayed. 😂 Now I know why!

I do want the Fontaine’s DC at Kilmainham. As a U2 fan I’ll grab the Fire reissue, even though I have an OG. Must have Wild Mood Swings and I can’t believe I’m actually going to hunt down a silly Pearl Jam cassette. Uggghhhh! A handful of others and no doubt, I’ll impulse buy and spend hundreds on both drops.

So... no Iowa :(
but still some GOOD metal releases this RSD.

Need:
Opeth - Morningrise
The Sword - Age of Winters
Linkin Park - meteora
The Rolling Stones - Hot Rocks
Soul Slabs Vol 3
Fleet Foxes 7”

Debating:
K bye set live
Vitamin String Quartet - MCR
Dinner party
Fear - The Record

Wow, really not much that I need at all. I saw Linkin Park's Meteora and had some deja vu and then remembered that I ended up deciding it wasn't worth going to RSD BF for that last fall (and I think, when they announced it actually wouldn't be available at that time, they said it would be released in February - which I completely forgot about until now haha).

The only thing I'm excited about it Vast's "Music for People" which has never been on vinyl.

Was really hoping for some cut copy "in ghost colours" or the prince of egypt soundtrack.

T.a.t.u is my only absolute must here. PVRIS, Linkin Park and Evanescence would be nice, but definitely not required.

I don’t get the flee foxes 7”. It’s just two songs from the album that will have been out for half a year. Am I missing something ? I know previous RSD I have picked up a single from an upcoming album and maybe they throw an acoustic b side or instrumental , but this just seems the most unnecessary.

So far four are emerging as “wants”
t.A.T.u
Kenny Loggins
Lindsey Striling
Warren Zevon

maybe
K.flay
Linkin Park
Pearl Jam

Overall I was meh on the list. I’ll have to dig again.

Back