Record Store Day 2021

I think after this year's RSD I've cemented my opinion that Rough Trade is shady af and I think I'd rather shoot myself in the foot than buy from them ever again. They jack up prices beyond the average, then they don't stay true to their own rules. Thankfully I wasn't relying on anything from them but for anyone who was hoping to snag something they suck and we're all better off without them.

I think after this year's RSD I've cemented my opinion that Rough Trade is shady af and I think I'd rather shoot myself in the foot than buy from them ever again. They jack up prices beyond the average, then they don't stay true to their own rules. Thankfully I wasn't relying on anything from them but for anyone who was hoping to snag something they suck and we're all better off without them.

As a natural hater, I don't even need the details. I will hate them with you, blindly if necessary. This is what I bring to my friendships and you have a Sun Ra avatar, so I will trust you

You know what, I agree. For the past few years I have wondered why/how they can get away with inflating their prices when its supposed to be such a strict system.

My experience with them on RSD and Black Friday has always been that they are most expensive, with no real structure in place to prevent a mad dash and pile up as people blunder into the shelves. Really isnt what the day is supposed to be about.

Edit: I have just remembered something. The guy in front of me in the queue said he was able to pre-order the Amy Winehouse Remixes from Rough Trade despite it being an RSD item. He had the order confirmation and everything, although he did end up getting it from my local and cancelling the Rough Trade as he didn't want to risk it being an error. I have heard of smaller shops being banned permanently for allowing pre-orders.

Last edited:
I saw it in my local's feed and thought I'd missed it on the original list. Turns out it was on the UK list (though not on that site, either) but a handful of stores here got copies.

I didn’t realize this one was Iron Mountain Analogue either. I wish they’d publicize their stuff better - their comps are always solid. Luckily it seems to be overlooked lots of places so I was able to grab one.

Just put a small order through HMV in Japan. I am done with RSD this year, I don't see anything for me on the second drop (except Life Aquatic but as @CrazyDiamond84 said i's not in the list anymore so...).

Just put a small order through HMV in Japan. I am done with RSD this year, I don't see anything for me on the second drop (except Life Aquatic but as @CrazyDiamond84 said i's not in the list anymore so...).

I didn't see the reply myself but a person on Reddit said they asked on the RSD Facebook page about it and they said it was still going to be released, just "later in the year". Hopefully that's true as it was def. far and away my #1 most wanted from both months.

I didn't see the reply myself but a person on Reddit said they asked on the RSD Facebook page about it and they said it was still going to be released, just "later in the year". Hopefully that's true as it was def. far and away my #1 most wanted from both months.

Would be great! I only have the bootleg of Seu Jorge songs and have been waiting for an official release since.

Does anyone else do the thing where you have a specific list of records and budget in mind beforehand, and then you get to the store and wait in line for a few hours and, once it’s your turn to go in the store, you find out that a few of the records from your list are not available, so you just look around for other records to impulse buy so that you still end up with about the same amount of records and spend the same amount that you originally planned on because you feel like you deserve that number of records after waiting in line for so long and you tell yourself that you might not be able to find those other records ever anyway.

And then, once you leave the store, you have like a feeling of satisfaction and accomplishment that lasts for like ten seconds before you immediately set about finding those other records on your list and buying them even if you have to spend a little extra.

Third year in a row. I think getting up early hampers my impulse control and I always feel like I have to justify waiting in line for so long by buying a certain amount. Not complaining, though, haha.
I don't have a local anymore really since I moved, but my move the last two or three RSDs has been to try to not look at the list too much and pick out just a small handful of things I truly want. Then I start reading things on here about other releases people are excited about and I end up dropping about $150 instead of the $50 or so I had in mind haha.

Did anybody get the Al Green release? Any comment on the quality of the pressing?
It sounds fine to me. It’s not exceptionally great, but I don’t have any issues with it either.

I kind of like the design and look of the cover and inner sleeve with the album color - it visually signals what it sounds like and what makes it different from other Al Green records: it’s a little more lush and gentle and pretty (and maybe a little less vibrant and dynamic) but still the same songs.

Back