Record cleaning - what's your method?

What is the advantage of using a UV lamp to inspect a record instead of normal light? I thought UV and vinyl were enemies.
Allows you to see the FOD not visible with normal lighting.
Looking at my hands, not sure I would eat with them any longer 😁.

In the pic above, you can see almost no white specs. The one spec shown was on surface only.
That's a 1971 BBK. It's pretty dang clean as you can see.

I can't see any harm shining it for a few 10 seconds.
Hours... might be a problem.

I just wanted to see the visible results with various cleaning process stages.
Mainly the older, pre-owned vinyl. There was a pop on Tin Pan Alley that was driving me ape shit.
FYI- I am not sure this trick works for some of the brighter colored vinyl out these days.

While we tend to focus on the cleaning of the records themselves here I thought I would share some success I had at lunchtime cleaning some sleeves. The sleeves themselves were incredibly grubby as are the records BUT having bought from this seller in the past I knew they tend to clean up very well. As a result, the seller grades them well below what can actually be achieved. The records have some light surface marks but it's mainly just dirt.....and a lot of it. I will run them through the Project VC-S2 and I imagine any issues will be removed.

For the sleeves, I just use a cloth dampened with very hot water. I also have a blunt scalpel that I lightly and very carefully scrape along the surface for very stubborn bits (such as the tape residue). This combo works really well with laminated sleeves and although I have seen people recommend lighter fluid and the like, I personally have never encountered a mark that stubborn.

IMG_0235.JPGIMG_0237.jpg
IMG_0238.JPGIMG_0239.jpgIMG_0241.JPGIMG_0245.jpg

While we tend to focus on the cleaning of the records themselves here I thought I would share some success I had at lunchtime cleaning some sleeves. The sleeves themselves were incredibly grubby as are the records BUT having bought from this seller in the past I knew they tend to clean up very well. As a result, the seller grades them well below what can actually be achieved. The records have some light surface marks but it's mainly just dirt.....and a lot of it. I will run them through the Project VC-S2 and I imagine any issues will be removed.

For the sleeves, I just use a cloth dampened with very hot water. I also have a blunt scalpel that I lightly and very carefully scrape along the surface for very stubborn bits (such as the tape residue). This combo works really well with laminated sleeves and although I have seen people recommend lighter fluid and the like, I personally have never encountered a mark that stubborn.

View attachment 140879View attachment 140880
View attachment 140881View attachment 140882View attachment 140883View attachment 140884
This is very impressive. I'm not sure I have the patience for it, but I'm sure I could buff up quite a few of my covers this way.

This is very impressive. I'm not sure I have the patience for it, but I'm sure I could buff up quite a few of my covers this way.
Once you have a method its surprisingly easy. I cleaned those 3 in my lunch break and still had time to eat, so maybe 30mins whilst watching tv.

8 bucks a record

Picked up a sealed copy and was unsure if the haze that was starting to form would disappear after a bath in the US cleaner, happy with the results. Sonically, the 09' KPG pressing is miles ahead. My lamp is from IKEA and shows any imperfection.
IMG_0035 by c c, on Flickr

IMG_0036 by c c, on Flickr

Picked up a sealed copy and was unsure if the haze that was starting to form would disappear after a bath in the US cleaner, happy with the results. Sonically, the 09' KPG pressing is miles ahead. My lamp is from IKEA and shows any imperfection.
IMG_0035 by c c, on Flickr

IMG_0036 by c c, on Flickr
If you want to see analy the grooves, you need a black light. It shows every crack, pop, gray hair, etc...

Ok, the time has come to move on from my Spin Clean and get a more efficient vacuum cleaning system. I just have too many records piling up to clean, and I can’t bring myself to do it. Don’t want to spend a grand - anyone here have and use the Record Doctor units? They seem to get good reviews and cost a lot less than the VPI…

Back