Record cleaning - what's your method?

Has anyone used that TTL record roller thing?
Nagaoka has something similar. I’d avoid it for 2 reasons:

As the roller completes its first revolution, dirt on the roller is coming on contact with the vinyl.

It also leaves a visible (but not audible) residue on the record. I have one album that I tried it on, and no cleaning fluid I’ve tried has been able to remove the residue.

Hello helpful folks. Sorry to dredge up things that have likely been answered, just looking for clarification since I'm a novice. Finally getting myself a cleaning setup, I've got a Squeaky Clean and some Chisto on the way. From what I've gleaned I just need a pass with the Chisto mix, and then a vacuum. No need for additional rising with distilled water and second vacuum? Also will the supplied brush with the squeaky clean be decent for general cleaning? Trying not to drop and additional $50 on a brush as well if possible for now.

Hello helpful folks. Sorry to dredge up things that have likely been answered, just looking for clarification since I'm a novice. Finally getting myself a cleaning setup, I've got a Squeaky Clean and some Chisto on the way. From what I've gleaned I just need a pass with the Chisto mix, and then a vacuum. No need for additional rising with distilled water and second vacuum? Also will the supplied brush with the squeaky clean be decent for general cleaning? Trying not to drop and additional $50 on a brush as well if possible for now.
I like bristle brushes better. I use this.

I don't like the pad style because if you batch clean records they start to get very saturated and make a mess. Plus it's easy to agitate the fluid with bristles.

I like bristle brushes better. I use this.

I don't like the pad style because if you batch clean records they start to get very saturated and make a mess. Plus it's easy to agitate the fluid with bristles.
Hrmm, interesting, but with shipping it ends up around 30 bucks and says estimated sometime in the next three months basically to the US. With those considerations I think I'd end up just springing for the 'official' VPI brush if there wasn't a different worthwhile stateside alternative.

Hrmm, interesting, but with shipping it ends up around 30 bucks and says estimated sometime in the next three months basically to the US. With those considerations I think I'd end up just springing for the 'official' VPI brush if there wasn't a different worthwhile stateside alternative.
Yeah, I'm pretty sure it wasn't $19 shipping back when I got mine.

Updated Humminguru time table!

The mold is complete and they are beginning a 30-40 day period of quality testing and tolerance adjustment. They will also be building complete samples and doing durability testing during this time.

Final production sample is scheduled for July, with mass production beginning in August for early September delivery.

What's everyone done when they moved their box sets? Is taking the records out of the box and storing it the best option?
Are the tubs being handled repeatedly or are you loading a container with all your possessions and closing it up?

When I moved across Canada (4500k) I left them in the box set in the larger record moving box. It's humans who shake things up mostly.

Are the tubs being handled repeatedly or are you loading a container with all your possessions and closing it up?

When I moved across Canada (4500k) I left them in the box set in the larger record moving box. It's humans who shake things up mostly.
In a crate, then in a ship for 10-12 weeks. I think I can get away with leaving them, but I might have space in the storage boxes I have.

When I move, we loaded the container in August, it drove across Canada and then sat for about 3 months before being delivered to our new place in mid November. I think you will be good

I didn't see the question about a rinse cycle get answered. Would also like to know.

I don't think it's necessary if you have a vacuum. It should remove all of the remaining liquid. I never do a rinse step.

I didn't see the question about a rinse cycle get answered. Would also like to know.
I sort of compromise. I put on the cleaning fluid and brush it around in both directions, then let that sit for a bit. Then, before vacuming, I squirt some distilled water on the record and I use a small (about 1-1/2" wide) and very soft paint brush to spread it around, again in both directions. Then I vacuum. The distilled-water step might not actually serve any purpose, but it has become a part of my regular cleaning routine and I'm very happy with the results. (I'm using a Squeaky Clean.)

Back