7. Gaucho
8. Can’t Buy A Thrill
9. Everything Must Go

Donald Fagen
1. The Nightfly
2. Morph The Cat
3. Sunken Condos
4. Kamakiriad
Nice to see someone else place Countdown To Ecstasy so high. Sometimes it’s my favorite Steely Dan album, but Aja is definitely their finest moment.

Nice to see someone else place Countdown To Ecstasy so high. Sometimes it’s my favorite Steely Dan album, but Aja is definitely their finest moment.
Yeah, Countdown was the first album from their early period (aka before Aja) that I ever liked, and My Old School is the jam! As I got older, I gradually started to enjoy all of their 70s albums.

Gil Scott-Heron

Small Talk at 125th and Lenox
Winter in America
Pieces of a Man
Reflections
From South Africa to South Carolina
Spirits
The First Minute of a New Day
It's Your World
We’re New Again - A Reimagining By Makaya McCraven
Free Will
I’m New Here
Bridges
Nothing New
Real Eyes
Secrets
We’re New Here
Moving Target

Yo La Tengo

1. And Then Nothing Turned Itself Inside-Out
  2. Painful
  3. I Can Hear The Heart Beating As One
  4. Fakebook
  5. I’m Not Afraid Of You And I Will Beat Your Ass
  6. Fade
  7. Popular Songs
  8. Elect-O-Pura
  9. Summer Sun
  10. May I Sing With Me
  11. Ride The Tiger
  12. There’s A Riot Going On
  13. President Yo La Tengo
  14. New Wave Hot Dogs
  15. Stuff Like That There
I somehow idiotically completely missed the boat on this band back in the 90's. Guessing - unheard - I dismissed them as Matador hipsters or something. MORAN.

Last year on a whim picked up a couple of cd singles from around 1997 and was blown away. Then grabbed the "Genius + Love" 2xCD and was amazed at its sprawling greatness. Basically it's Neil Young standard. These all seem to be from 96/97 so I guess I'd love that "I Can Hear The Heart" album you have at #3. Your number's 1 and 2 must be top, top, stuff.

I somehow idiotically completely missed the boat on this band back in the 90's. Guessing - unheard - I dismissed them as Matador hipsters or something. MORAN.

Last year on a whim picked up a couple of cd singles from around 1997 and was blown away. Then grabbed the "Genius + Love" 2xCD and was amazed at its sprawling greatness. Basically it's Neil Young standard. These all seem to be from 96/97 so I guess I'd love that "I Can Hear The Heart" album you have at #3. Your number's 1 and 2 must be top, top, stuff.
Absolutely must listens. Painful is a little more shoegazey. I feel like they listened to the first Spiritualized album or some Spacemen 3 before recording that one. And Nothing Turned is very mellow, relaxing, some of their all time greatest songs are on that one plus a couple of songs I could do without. But the highs of that album are amazing.

EDIT: the only bad song off of And Nothing is the first track which I sometimes skip. Everything else is good.

Last edited:
Absolutely must listens. Painful is a little more shoegazey. I feel like they listened to the first Spiritualized album or some Spacemen 3 before recording that one. And Nothing Turned is very mellow, relaxing, some of their all time greatest songs are on that one plus a couple of songs I could do without. But the highs of that album are amazing.

EDIT: the only bad song off of And Nothing is the first track which I sometimes skip. Everything else is good.

I have gone on record with this before, but I think the album FADE is maaaaaaaaassively underrated. You get it all: tender, loud, twin guitars, acoustic, organ, distortion, bounce... And it's a solid 10-song album. Honestly, it's exactly the kind of album where I can tell you what album to listen to next based on what your favorite song from the album is.

I have gone on record with this before, but I think the album FADE is maaaaaaaaassively underrated. You get it all: tender, loud, twin guitars, acoustic, organ, distortion, bounce... And it's a solid 10-song album. Honestly, it's exactly the kind of album where I can tell you what album to listen to next based on what your favorite song from the album is.
One of their bests for sure! Easily the best thing they’ve done maybe since And Nothing Turned Itself Inside Out

For me, the only Yo La Tengo I need is this 3 cd compilation.

It was my first exposure to them back when it came out. I’ve owned Electr-O-Pura, I Can Hear The Heart Beating As One, And Then Nothing Turned Itself Out, I Am Not Afraid Of You And I Will Beat Your Ass, and There’s A Riot Going On, and I just lose interest with each album as it goes on. Actually that’s not true, I do rather enjoy the entirety of ICHTHBAO, but the others not nearly as much.

Beach Boys.

1 Pet Sounds 10/10
2 Sunflower 9/10. saccharine and overwrought muzak? Pure songs, harmonies.
3 Surf's Up 8/10. piddles around a bit but an insane grower
4 Smiley Smile. 7/10. too low? outside of the 3 bigs hits I sort of get lost with this one.

If I saw a copy of "Holland" under $10 I'd nab that too.

Steely Dan
1. Aja
2. The Royal Scam
3. Can’t Buy A Thrill
4. Pretzel Logic
5. Katy Lied
6. Countdown To Ecstasy
7. Two Against Nature
8. Gaucho
9. Everything Must Go

I think a few of the middle ones swap places at times, but Aja and Royal Scam have been the long time top two for me.

Back